Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

In the short run, a 34-year old whistleblowing doctor has died from the disease, almost a month after contracting it.  That seems like an alarming, if anecdotal, development.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

I was at Midway this morning and a lot of people were wearing surgical masks. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

FunkMonk

Quote from: DGuller on February 06, 2020, 11:52:32 AM
In the short run, a 34-year old whistleblowing doctor has died from the disease, almost a month after contracting it.  That seems like an alarming, if anecdotal, development.

There will be a fascinating "Chernobyl"-like HBO miniseries of all this a decade from now.

If anyone is left to produce it, anyway.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Iormlund

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Maximus

DGuller

alfred russel

Quote from: Iormlund on February 06, 2020, 03:26:02 PM
They now deny he's dead.

He and tank man are doing well, just take our word for it.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

Is the death rate rise beginning to level off a bit? :unsure:

China's Hubei province reports 69 new coronavirus deaths on February 6: state TV
The number of deaths in China's central Hubei province from a coronavirus outbreak had risen by 69 to 618 as of Thursday, Chinese state television reported on Friday.

BEIJING (Reuters) - The number of deaths in China's central Hubei province from a coronavirus outbreak had risen by 69 to 618 as of Thursday, Chinese state television reported on Friday.

There had been a further 2,447 cases detected in Hubei, the epicenter of the outbreak, taking the total in the province to 22,112.

Most of the new deaths were in Hubei's provincial capital of Wuhan, where the virus is believed to have originated.

Wuhan reported 64 new deaths on Thursday, up from 52 on Wednesday. A total of 478 people in Wuhan have now died from the virus.

New confirmed cases in Wuhan increased by 1,501 on Thursday.

Full item here:
http://feeds.reuters.com/~r/Reuters/worldNews/~3/r0vAFqNps6Q/chinas-hubei-province-reports-69-new-coronavirus-deaths-on-february-6-state-tv-idUSKBN2002ZG

However the UK's third confirmed case is a British national who wasn't in China, instead it's believed he was infected in Singapore.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Rather worrying that so many on the cruise liner in the Japanese port have come down with the virus:

Another 41 people on a cruise liner off Japan tested positive for coronavirus, bringing the total confirmed from the ship to 61, Japan's health minister said on Friday.

Full item here:
http://feeds.reuters.com/~r/Reuters/worldNews/~3/TDhDiWcpdf0/another-41-on-cruise-liner-off-japan-test-positive-for-coronavirus-government-idUSKBN20102S
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

Professor working for the  Abdul Latif Jameel Institute for Disease and Emergency Analytics at Imperial College London says there are under 10% detected. Perhaps 50,000 new cases a day in China. Epidemic doubling every 5 days:wacko:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALQTdCYGISw
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

If that guy's right then lethality should be significantly lower than 2%.

Tonitrus

Quote from: mongers on February 06, 2020, 09:49:16 PM
Rather worrying that so many on the cruise liner in the Japanese port have come down with the virus:

Another 41 people on a cruise liner off Japan tested positive for coronavirus, bringing the total confirmed from the ship to 61, Japan's health minister said on Friday.

Full item here:
http://feeds.reuters.com/~r/Reuters/worldNews/~3/TDhDiWcpdf0/another-41-on-cruise-liner-off-japan-test-positive-for-coronavirus-government-idUSKBN20102S

Given all the epidemics one hears about on cruise ships, it seems like the worst place to keep people holed up on.

Eddie Teach

Better to keep them on the ship than let them spread it on shore.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?