Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Quote from: Monoriu on February 03, 2020, 01:37:28 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 03, 2020, 12:32:30 AM
Do we officially know yet if it's contagious during the incubation period?

I am not sure if it is official, but all signs point to yes.

What's going on in Hong Kong Mono? Have you guys pulled up the drawbridge?
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Legbiter on February 03, 2020, 12:24:25 AM
I'm offically paranoid now. R0 close to 3 and 2% mortality rate and more infectious than the flu but with a long asymptomatic incubation period? This will be hell once it starts spreading in countries like India and Bangladesh if containment in China fails.

I think that once we see the real data the R0 is going to get higher  - but 3 is already scary enough.  And with mortality the same as the Spanish Flu - this is the one the experts have been worried about.

Razgovory

I'm a recluse who is physically hostile to human beings.  What are my risks?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

You will have to turn the lights off on many, many houses.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on February 03, 2020, 11:44:36 AM
I'm a recluse who is physically hostile to human beings.  What are my risks?

You will be the last on Languish to make it.

I mean I have kids in Elementary School if this thing hits Austin my family is in big trouble.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

I go to a clinic with lots of old people twice a week.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zoupa

I'm a pharmacist, so I'll probably die in the first wave  :bowler:

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Latest from Reuters:

China to allow in U.S. health experts as virus shows no sign of slowing

In central China's Hubei province, epicenter of the epidemic, China state TV reported there were 2,345 new cases of the virus and another 64 deaths, bringing the total of virus-related fatalities in Hubei to 414 by Monday.

The Chinese stock market plunged about 8% on Monday, wiping $393 billion off the value of the Shanghai bourse, on the first day of trading following an extended Lunar New Year holiday in a bid to help keep people at home and contain the virus' spread.

Full item here:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health/china-to-allow-in-u-s-health-experts-as-virus-shows-no-sign-of-slowing-idUSKBN1ZX00T?feedType=RSS&feedName=worldNews&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Reuters%2FworldNews+%28Reuters+World+News%29
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

KRonn

Boston officials declined to do screening for the virus until the Feds mandated it at all airports. Apparently the day before the mandate went into effect a sick passenger arrived at Boston's Logan Airport, was visibly sick but refused treatment. Later it was found he has the virus and lives with others. So I'm waiting to see in the news if the passengers of that flight were informed after the fact, and also things like where he went later or even how he got home from the airport.

Tamas

Now it seems the virus CANNOT infect during the incubation period.

The theory that it could stemmed from the case of the Chinese lady travelling to Germany and being symptomless when infecting a dozen (and counting) of her German coworkers.

But as it turns out, nobody until now bothered to actually ask her if she was without symptoms :P Turned out she was already on anti-fever meds and with muscle pain etc. by the time she landed in Germany.

katmai

Quote from: Zoupa on February 03, 2020, 12:18:15 PM
I'm a pharmacist, so I'll probably die in the first wave  :bowler:
i just flew through Seattle to Anchorage ( two of the airports doing screening stations) yesterday so my last laugh will be in you.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

jimmy olsen

This is starting to get to the "oh shit, we don't have the capacity!" Spanish flu levels of panic.
https://mobile.twitter.com/PDChina/status/1224762796094525440

#Wuhan plans to convert another 8 existing venues, including gymnasiums, exhibition centers and sports centers, into hospitals by Feb. 5 to receive patients infected with the novel #coronavirus, local authorities said Tuesday

https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1224819716319010816

QuoteThe number of people in serious/critical condition in Hubei province continues to rise. It is now at 2,520, up from 2,143 yesterday

BREAKING: Epicenter of coronavirus outbreak reports 3,156 new cases and 65 new deaths

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

I'm okay dying in this epidemic but before I expire I want to know that Seoul will be wiped out.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

viper37

If you haven't already, now is a really good time to panic ;)

New study estimates 75 000 people in Wuhan infected with coronarivus

More than 75,000 people - ten times the official tally of confirmed cases - have been infected with the coronavirus in Wuhan, ground zero of a global health emergency, according to research published Friday.
[...]
"The apparent discrepancy between our modelled estimates of 2019-nCoV infections and the actual number of confirmed cases in Wuhan could be due to several factors," Leung said in a statement.

A time lag between infection and symptom onset, delays in infected persons getting medical treatment, and the time needed to confirm cases with lab tests "could all affect overall recording and reporting," he said.

The study found that each person infected with the virus, which emerged in December, could have infected two to three individuals on average, and that the epidemic had doubled in size every 6.4 days.

If the virus spreads as quickly on a national scale, "it is possible that epidemics could be already growing in multiple major Chinese cities, with a time lag of one to two weeks behind Wuhan," said co-author Joseph Wu, a professor at the University of Hong Kong.

Mono, it's been nice knowing you.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.