Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Fuck that. Too many beautiful k-pop idols live there.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Does anyone know what this has done to sales of corona beer?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on February 04, 2020, 05:56:06 PM

Who knows - maybe it's even increasing sales?

QuoteTORONTO -- A coronavirus-themed party was reportedly held at Queen's University in Kingston, Ont. last weekend where students dressed in surgical masks and decorated the walls with biohazard signs.

The Queen's Journal re-published images that were first posted to Instagram from the party, reportedly held last Saturday. The photos show students drinking Corona beers, and a caption under one of the images reads "infect me daddy."

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/queen-s-university-students-wore-surgical-masks-drank-coronas-at-coronavirus-themed-party-report-1.4796679
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on February 04, 2020, 06:07:45 PM
Who knows - maybe it's even increasing sales?
As if this thread couldn't get any more depressing.  :(

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 04, 2020, 10:07:19 PM
Any stats on the age of those who died?

Majority over 60, also worse if someone has diabetes and/or a heart problem.

But that's in somewhere with a still functioning health system, what happens in places with poor health provision like India/Bangladesh or when a good quality one fails under the pressure of the huge number of cases?

I think this might give us a clue, well worth reading, on the ground in Wuhan with one family:

Wuhan resident: 'We'd rather die at home than go to quarantine'

5 February 2020 

Health authorities fear the deadly coronavirus outbreak, which originated in Wuhan, could become a global crisis

Wenjun Wang is a resident of Wuhan, the Chinese city at the epicentre of the deadly coronavirus outbreak.

Wang, a 33-year-old housewife, and her family have remained in the city since it was sealed off on 23 January.

Since then, the virus has infected more than 20,000 people worldwide, leading to at least 427 deaths.

In a rare interview from inside Wuhan, Wang tells the BBC about her family's heart-breaking struggle for survival.

Since the outbreak of the coronavirus, my uncle has already passed away, my father is critically ill and my mum and aunt have started showing some symptoms.

The CT scans shows their lungs are infected. My brother's coughing too, and has some breathing difficulties.

My dad has a high fever. His temperature was 39.3C (102F) yesterday and he's constantly coughing and having breathing difficulties. We got him an oxygen machine at home and he relies on that machine twenty-four seven.

He's taking both Chinese and Western medicines at the moment. There's no hospital for him to go to because his case hasn't been confirmed due to the lack of testing kits.

My mum and aunt walk to the hospital every day in the hope of getting a bed for my dad despite their own health situation. But no hospital will take them.
'No one is helping us'

In Wuhan, there are many quarantine points to accommodate patients who have slight symptoms or are still in the incubation period.

There are some simple and really basic facilities there. But for people who are critically ill like my father, there are no beds for them.
How do you quarantine a city?

My uncle actually died in one of the quarantine points because there are no medical facilities for people with severe symptoms. I really hope my father can get some proper treatment but no-one is in contact with us or helping us at the moment.

I got in touch with community workers several times, but the response I got was, 'there's no chance of us getting a bed in the hospital'.
Image caption
The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared the coronavirus crisis a global health emergency

We thought the quarantine point my dad and uncle went to was a hospital at the beginning, but it turned out to be a hotel.

There was no nurse or doctor and there was no heater. They went in the afternoon and the staff there served them a cold dinner that evening. My uncle was very ill then, with severe respiratory symptoms and started losing consciousness.

No doctor came to treat him. He and my dad stayed in separate rooms and when dad went to see him at 06:30 in the morning, he had already passed away

Full article here:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51379088
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

Quote from: mongers on February 04, 2020, 10:59:25 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 04, 2020, 10:07:19 PM
Any stats on the age of those who died?

Majority over 60, also worse if someone has diabetes and/or a heart problem.

But that's in somewhere with a still functioning health system, what happens in places with poor health provision like India/Bangladesh or when a good quality one fails under the pressure of the huge number of cases?

I think this might give us a clue, well worth reading, on the ground in Wuhan with one family:

I read somewhere that 71% of the patients at the hospital are men, likely do the high number of male smokers compared to female smokers.

Also, the terrible air quality likely does not help either
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

I just had the flu.  The regular one.  I've been down for a month and a half and I'm still coughing.

Can't imagine catching that shit.  Oh well.  Got to die someday, anyway. :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

katmai

My brothers brother (convoluted story) has been a teacher at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Kunshan_University. He and his wife had come to US for holidays and now they are stuck here because of this outbreak. They will be teaching online courses from Durham, NC for the foreseeable future.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Tonitrus

Quote from: katmai on February 05, 2020, 03:18:53 PM
My brothers brother (convoluted story) has been a teacher at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Kunshan_University. He and his wife had come to US for holidays and now they are stuck here because of this outbreak. They will be teaching online courses from Durham, NC for the foreseeable future.

I'll admit...for a minute I was wondering where the Duchy of Kunshan was located.

KRonn

Quote from: alfred russel on February 04, 2020, 05:56:06 PM

Lol, the last I heard was that the Corona beer company had to explain that it wasn't their beer causing illness. 

Just in case, I'm safe as I don't usually drink beer or alcohol.   :D

Iormlund

Just arrived from Berlin via Barcelona.

Surprisingly few masks on the airports. Maybe three total.

A group of Asian ladies sat behind my seat on the train. Am I: dead? :ph34r:

Barrister

Quote from: Iormlund on February 06, 2020, 08:50:59 AM
Just arrived from Berlin via Barcelona.

Surprisingly few masks on the airports. Maybe three total.

A group of Asian ladies sat behind my seat on the train. Am I: dead? :ph34r:

In the long run - yes. -_-
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

We finally made BB into a Keynesian.

My work here is complete.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson