Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Serbia has been flip-flopping with its policy. They were downplaying the numbers, apparently, and now can't hide the increase in cases. As a result they will reinstate lockdown measures this weekend after a brief reprieve.

The people of Belgrade were pissed and stormed the parliament:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Went on facebook today and noticed an ad from Newcastle city council promoting this site to tell you how busy the city is for social distancing. Thought it a cute idea. A bit lacking in data for now but I wonder how well such things could work.

https://www.howbusyistoon.com/
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I noticed over the last two weeks an increase in people who either don't wear masks correctly or not at all on public transport. The rule is to wear it in public transport and in enclosed stations. Originally you'd see someone on the platform every other station or so not wearing a mask, and hardly ever on the train. Now there's like 5-10% on a buy platform not wearing masks, and 2 or 3 people on every single train I'm on not wearing one.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Agelastus

So, as I've mentioned my mother a few times in this thread I might as well do another update.

The nursing home she was shipped to from hospital has gone in to a 28 day lockdown (they were allowing garden visits, although my mother was one of the residents whose condition precluded this.) One of the residents in the department my mother is in has tested positive for COVID-19. Only the one at the moment and no staff have tested positive yet but not all the results are in.

I am :worried:.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

merithyn

Quote from: Agelastus on July 08, 2020, 10:31:24 AM
So, as I've mentioned my mother a few times in this thread I might as well do another update.

The nursing home she was shipped to from hospital has gone in to a 28 day lockdown (they were allowing garden visits, although my mother was one of the residents whose condition precluded this.) One of the residents in the department my mother is in has tested positive for COVID-19. Only the one at the moment and no staff have tested positive yet but not all the results are in.

Oy. Here's hoping she escapes unscathed. :(
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

HVC

is that... is that horse trying to rape someone in the statue in the first picture?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on July 08, 2020, 11:08:27 AM
is that... is that horse trying to rape someone in the statue in the first picture?

Not without a boner it's not.

Tonitrus

You went and made me look it up...

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/konji-vrani

QuoteThe sculpture ensemble, known as Igrali se Konji Vrani, (Black Horses at Play), depicts two muscular male characters being crushed under the hooves of two rampant stallions. They are the work of well-known local sculptor Toma Rosandić and are considered his masterpiece.

The artist never gave an official interpretation of his work's symbolism beyond a simple statement that it represents an artistic exploration of the sculptural forms of human and animal bodies at interplay. Not surprisingly, this academic of explanation didn't stop the general public from speculating.

Public consensus about the meaning of the sculptures seems to be that they represent common men, naked in front of power and being ridden and crushed by overbearing authority. Even further, some people tend to interpret that the position of one of the human figures who bears the horse on his hunched back is an allegory of oppression and that the position of the other figure who faces the horse is a symbol of resistance.

celedhring

Probably celebrates a cavalry charge against the Austro-Hungarian army.

HVC

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 08, 2020, 11:44:28 AM

You went and made me look it up...

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/konji-vrani

QuoteThe sculpture ensemble, known as Igrali se Konji Vrani, (Black Horses at Play), depicts two muscular male characters being crushed under the hooves of two rampant stallions. They are the work of well-known local sculptor Toma Rosandić and are considered his masterpiece.

The artist never gave an official interpretation of his work's symbolism beyond a simple statement that it represents an artistic exploration of the sculptural forms of human and animal bodies at interplay. Not surprisingly, this academic of explanation didn't stop the general public from speculating.

Public consensus about the meaning of the sculptures seems to be that they represent common men, naked in front of power and being ridden and crushed by overbearing authority. Even further, some people tend to interpret that the position of one of the human figures who bears the horse on his hunched back is an allegory of oppression and that the position of the other figure who faces the horse is a symbol of resistance.

So yes :D

@yi with the angle maybe he's just a less well endowed horse
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

I don't think there's such a thing as a short-dicked horse.

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on July 08, 2020, 07:17:37 AM
Serbia has been flip-flopping with its policy. They were downplaying the numbers, apparently, and now can't hide the increase in cases. As a result they will reinstate lockdown measures this weekend after a brief reprieve.

The people of Belgrade were pissed and stormed the parliament:

Friends of mine from Serbia are posting a lot today on social media that these protests are anti-government, not anti lockdown. Right before lockdown Serbia was embroiled in a protracted anti-government protest campaign that had started back in 2018, but those protests were put on hold during lockdown, which was rather strict over there. In late June parlamentary elections took place, for which lockdown restrictions were lifted as a sign of returning to normalcy, but they were boycotted by the main opposition parties due to lack of guarantees of fairness, which produced a record low turnout (less than 50%) and a parliament completely dominated by the ruling SNS coalition, which takes Serbia further down the autocracy-lite path it's been for a few years already. Now that the elections have passed and COVID is spiking back they've established lockdown measures again, and this is what has brought people over the edge, apparently.

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on July 07, 2020, 11:58:15 PM
Quote from: viper37 on July 07, 2020, 09:32:22 PM
Quote from: DGuller on July 07, 2020, 06:21:54 PM
Quote from: viper37 on July 07, 2020, 05:42:58 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 07, 2020, 11:15:22 AM
I wish him a quick and speedy death.
I would not have expected this from you.

You disapoint me.

I was sure you'd wish him to suffer at length before finally passing out and dying a few months later.
it would be logical to wish for a quick death now and lengthy suffering later.
Religion has nothing to do with logic.  But fine, whatever.  It's not like he's gonna get critically hill and die, anyway.

What does religion have to do with this?
quick death now and lengthy suffering later
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Agelastus on July 08, 2020, 10:31:24 AM

hopefully all will go well and she won't be infected.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on July 08, 2020, 07:18:47 AM
Went on facebook today and noticed an ad from Newcastle city council promoting this site to tell you how busy the city is for social distancing. Thought it a cute idea. A bit lacking in data for now but I wonder how well such things could work.

https://www.howbusyistoon.com/
I really like that.
Let's bomb Russia!