And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: DGuller on April 29, 2020, 12:48:27 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 29, 2020, 11:59:16 AM
Fate, the data is now in and it conclusively shows you are completely off base. For young healthy people, the risks from COVID19 are in line, and perhaps less than, the risks for the flu for the general population.

It has now been almost a month since the USS Theodore Roosevelt was evacuated. 940 positive COVID 19 cases were identified after testing the entire crew. 60% of those were asymptomatic. Only 2 of the positive cases required hospitalization, and there was 1 death. That is a death rate of about 0.1%, and a hospitalization rate of about 0.2%.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_on_USS_Theodore_Roosevelt

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-military-sympt/coronavirus-clue-most-cases-aboard-u-s-aircraft-carrier-are-symptom-free-idUSKCN21Y2GB

If anything, this appears to be an outlier—the death rate appears much too high versus the rest of the military.

There have been 4,265 positive cases in the military, with only 91 hospitalizations, and 2 deaths (one of the deaths being from the Theodore Roosevelt, the other being in the national guard). Those 4,265 cases are likely significantly understated because the asymptomatics are not going to be picked up the way they were from a carrier where everyone was tested.

https://www.airforcemag.com/snapshot-dod-and-covid-19/
Why are you comparing death rate of young people for one illness against death rate of general population for another illness?
I see now that I missed the larger point you were replying to from Fate.  I agree that in light of new statistics (and possibly new guidelines for treating at home vs. hospitalization), Fate's hospital % numbers for young people were way too high.  I think he also failed to account for the fact that hospitalizations would be lopsided for young people the same way deaths are.

Razgovory

I want you to know that you guys are very boring.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 29, 2020, 12:46:57 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 29, 2020, 11:28:54 AM
Your GDP is expected to get nuked in line with ours, and there aren't universal increases to pay for essential workers.

You are correct.  All nations are experiencing COVID but some are dealing with it better than others.  Also, nice move of the goal posts.  You are right pay increases are not universal in Canada.  But in BC all nurses and grocery store workers received wage increases - to name a few.  So tell me again how it is simply not possible.

Doctors and nurses have been making more in the US than Canada (on average). Are you guys still shortchanging your healthcare workers even with the wage increases - it would be good to hear you've fixed that.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on April 29, 2020, 01:06:55 PM
Your GDP is expected to get nuked in line with ours, and there aren't universal increases to pay for essential workers.

You are correct.  All nations are experiencing COVID but some are dealing with it better than others.  Also, nice move of the goal posts.  You are right pay increases are not universal in Canada.  But in BC all nurses and grocery store workers received wage increases - to name a few.  So tell me again how it is simply not possible.

Doctors and nurses have been making more in the US than Canada (on average). Are you guys still shortchanging your healthcare workers even with the wage increases - it would be good to hear you've fixed that.

So, you are defending not paying more in the pandemic because on your math, which I will address shortly, your country pays more than a country with significantly less GDP - ok.

Now about those nurses.  A registered primary care nurse in BC made a base of about 42 an hour prior to the bump.  In reality they mad much more because of the overtime premium but lets just stick with the base.  Average wage of a registered nurse in Massachusetts (the state with a higher death toll that all of Canada with a population about that of Ontario) is less at 37 or 38 depending on where the are working.

Keep telling yourself all is well.  Maybe one day it will be true.

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 29, 2020, 01:21:45 PM
So, you are defending not paying more in the pandemic because on your math, which I will address shortly, your country pays more than a country with significantly less GDP - ok.

Now about those nurses.  A registered primary care nurse in BC made a base of about 42 an hour prior to the bump.  In reality they mad much more because of the overtime premium but lets just stick with the base.  Average wage of a registered nurse in Massachusetts (the state with a higher death toll that all of Canada with a population about that of Ontario) is less at 37 or 38 depending on where the are working.

Congratulations on finding a type of nurse in a part of Canada that makes more than a type of nurse in another part of the US, but on average US nurses make more. Sorry bud.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Grey Fox

Quote from: alfred russel on April 29, 2020, 01:06:55 PM

US doctors are grossly overpaid. Some of it comes from your education system tho.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

So the FT has started tracking excess mortality in general - as mentioned elsewhere this lags because it depends on when death certificates are registered which varies widely in different places (they've flagged for this reason, the US figures shown are likely to increase):

And the subnational figures - which now include Manaus which seems to be the centre in Brazil:
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zoupa

It's funny/sad, but mostly sad, to see Dorsey try to spin this pandemic as no biggie. The US has been terrible in its response, it's now killed more folks than the Vietnam war with no sign of stopping and the second wave is a guarantee, with states lifting lockdowns or not having implemented any in the first place.

He lives in a world where public health experts with decades of pandemic response are wrong, but Kemp, De Santis and Dorsey are right :mellow:

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on April 29, 2020, 01:27:17 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 29, 2020, 01:21:45 PM

Congratulations on finding a type of nurse in a part of Canada that makes more than a type of nurse in another part of the US, but on average US nurses make more. Sorry bud.

Wasn't hard.  It was the first things I looked for.  Made sense to start with BC nurses since those are the ones I know fur sure got the bump and I recently compared Mass so that was an obvious choice to look.  Not sure what national averages tell us since health care is a provincial responsibility.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zoupa on April 29, 2020, 01:42:41 PM
It's funny/sad, but mostly sad, to see Dorsey try to spin this pandemic as no biggie. The US has been terrible in its response, it's now killed more folks than the Vietnam war with no sign of stopping and the second wave is a guarantee, with states lifting lockdowns or not having implemented any in the first place.

He lives in a world where public health experts with decades of pandemic response are wrong, but Kemp, De Santis and Dorsey are right :mellow:

You will upset the Americans who think all is well.

Sheilbh

I am thinking it feels a little too soon to be lifting lockdown in Europe (UK scientific review is going to be in early May - and I imagine we'll follow what other European countries are doing, unless they show a spike in transmission). I think it's incredible that so many US states are starting to lift lockdown.

Edit: Incidentally this is another one of those things where I think the UK is fundamentally a lot more European than those on the right might like to admit. Our attitudes on this, especially in polling, is incredibly cautious on lifting lockdown and there's no real political or media pressure to lift it (yet).
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

I've never tried to spin it as no biggie.

Legbiter

The last ICU patient was discharged today here. It's slowly just dwindling down to nothing.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Razgovory

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 29, 2020, 01:37:00 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 29, 2020, 01:03:28 PM
I want you to know that you guys are very boring.

They have to know that.

I admit that I rarely read Dorsey's posts (I think he may be the only person I don't read).  It's not that he's full shit most of the time, he is but that could be said of a lot of posters, it's that his bullshit is boring.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017