Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Liep on April 06, 2020, 01:31:48 PM
PM just announced that schools will open Tuesday after Easter (up to 5th grade), day care centers will open as well. Also, the ban on large gatherings will be in effect until August cancelling all the festivals this summer.

Maybe this is to try and get kids and (younger) parents infected as they have been talking a lot about herd immunity lately.

That's pretty awful. :blink:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on April 06, 2020, 02:19:45 PM
So lovely the British government decides to lie again. Telling public that Boris was only in as a precautionary measure...and yet now he's been moved to intensive care.

Wow.
I can't seriously wish death even on a slime bag like that.
But I do hope the resources being put into keeping him alive are the same that anyone else would get. If someone else dies because of his idiocy...
██████
██████
██████

merithyn

Quote from: Tyr on April 06, 2020, 02:37:45 PM
So lovely the British government decides to lie again. Telling public that Boris was only in as a precautionary measure...and yet now he's been moved to intensive care.

Wow.
But I do hope the resources being put into keeping him alive are the same that anyone else would get. If someone else dies because of his idiocy...

Not this death. I can't wish this death on anyone. :(

bogh

Quote from: merithyn on April 06, 2020, 02:35:21 PM
PM just announced that schools will open Tuesday after Easter (up to 5th grade), day care centers will open as well. Also, the ban on large gatherings will be in effect until August cancelling all the festivals this summer.

Maybe this is to try and get kids and (younger) parents infected as they have been talking a lot about herd immunity lately.

Reopening schools and daycares is all about freeing up the parents - in order to get the reduce the drag on the economy. Our health care sector can withstand a significantly higher infection rate than the current one, so a relaxation makes sense (yes, we could keep the thing at bay forever doing this, but our society would crash completely). This is probably the area that will have the biggest (indirect) impact on productivity. The government has flat out denied that herd immunity is the chosen strategy, BTW - but it's hard to see other ways to resolve this ultimately.

Liep

Quote from: bogh on April 06, 2020, 02:43:07 PM
Reopening schools and daycares is all about freeing up the parents - in order to get the reduce the drag on the economy. Our health care sector can withstand a significantly higher infection rate than the current one, so a relaxation makes sense (yes, we could keep the thing at bay forever doing this, but our society would crash completely). This is probably the area that will have the biggest (indirect) impact on productivity. The government has flat out denied that herd immunity is the chosen strategy, BTW - but it's hard to see other ways to resolve this ultimately.

Indeed, if this is all they open and it seems to be so until May then it'll be hard to infect enough to talk about herd immunity. So it seems like a controlled opening instead.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Gups

Wow.

Big of you

Sheilbh

Just watching the news and this is one of those moments where it doesn't quite feel real. I'm sure it will tomorrow but at the minute this it feels like news clips in a film like Contagion or something - like when there was footage of field hospitals being built in Central Park.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: merithyn on April 06, 2020, 02:34:24 PM
Quote from: The Larch on April 06, 2020, 12:12:08 PM
Quote from: merithyn on April 06, 2020, 11:47:16 AM
Quote from: Syt on April 06, 2020, 04:37:28 AM
Facemasks become mandatory in public from next week (not sure where people are supposed to get masks, but ok ...)

There are a ton of cottage industry cloth mask makers in my circle of friends right now. They're making them and selling them at cost. I have one friend who does fabric stamping and design, so she's going to make a bunch of fabric and send it to me. I'll sew them up into masks, and send half out to her and keep the other half. My half I'll donate to my local grocery store.

Do you follow some kind of sanitary standard for mask making? IIRC over here there were some concerns about homemade masks and how they didn't really protect from disseminating CV19, as they didn't really block sneezing. I believe the simpler sanitary ones (without special filters, like the FFP2 and FFP3 ones) are 2-3 layers of interwoven cloth of some particular specification. You can do a simple homemade test with a spray to see if it's really effective at blocking.

These aren't N95-level of protection, but using three layers of poly-cotton tightly woven fabric gives around 70% protection while still allowing you to breathe comfortably. That's why I'm not rushing to make any for the hospitals, but am making them for others on the front lines, so to speak. Every little bit helps.

Sure, if you don't have access to one it's better than anything, but I don't think that hospitals should be supplied with homemade stuff, no matter how good the intentions or skills of the makers are (unless the alternative is not having anything, that is). Medical professionals should wear the proper ones, but homemade ones can be a nice option for others that don't need such a high level of protection.

Sheilbh

Sort of strange seering Huw Edwards (news presenter for BBC News at 10) who was in hospital with this until yesterday presenting tonight with this lead story :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

merithyn

Quote from: The Larch on April 06, 2020, 03:33:03 PM

Sure, if you don't have access to one it's better than anything, but I don't think that hospitals should be supplied with homemade stuff, no matter how good the intentions or skills of the makers are (unless the alternative is not having anything, that is). Medical professionals should wear the proper ones, but homemade ones can be a nice option for others that don't need such a high level of protection.

I was responding to Syt asking how people can get masks to meet the public requirement. :)

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on April 06, 2020, 02:38:13 PM

Wow.

Not this death. I can't wish this death on anyone. :(

Yeah, I thought that as well, but I'm kind of moving in that direction.  Like that shitbag preacher in Florida who was telling his congregation that they couldn't get Covid-19 while in his church.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Iormlund

My sister and mother are making masks with two layers of cloth and room in between for paper. That's essentially what proper masks are, cellulose between cloth.

For stopping power apparently vacuum bag material is best, but I did the spray test with toilet paper and a couple sheets stops anything from visibly passing through.

mongers

Quote from: Iormlund on April 06, 2020, 04:49:55 PM
My sister and mother are making masks with two layers of cloth and room in between for paper. That's essentially what proper masks are, cellulose between cloth.

For stopping power apparently vacuum bag material is best, but I did the spray test with toilet paper and a couple sheets stops anything from visibly passing through.

Good to know.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

Cool, as opposed to face masks, toilet paper is widely available.

11B4V

Quote from: merithyn on April 06, 2020, 02:35:21 PM

Governor of Washington just closed school for the rest of this year.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".