Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Monoriu

Hail Majesty!  Hail Majesty!  Hail Majesty!

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Quote from: DGuller on March 24, 2020, 10:00:35 PM
Quote from: merithyn on March 24, 2020, 09:51:18 PM
Can someone do the math for me? Based on those charts, how long until Oregon hits Lombardy numbers? In days, please.
Assuming exponential growth, at present rate, it'll take 19 days to reach all of Italy as of today.  Not sure what the Lombardy number is.
Good news!  By now the number of cases in Oregon should've increased by a factor of 6.6 from when this post was made, if the growth rate at the time persisted.  It only increased by a factor of 5.  That's, :unsure:, progress?

merithyn

Quote from: DGuller on April 05, 2020, 10:35:53 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 24, 2020, 10:00:35 PM
Quote from: merithyn on March 24, 2020, 09:51:18 PM
Can someone do the math for me? Based on those charts, how long until Oregon hits Lombardy numbers? In days, please.
Assuming exponential growth, at present rate, it'll take 19 days to reach all of Italy as of today.  Not sure what the Lombardy number is.
Good news!  By now the number of cases in Oregon should've increased by a factor of 6.6 from when this post was made, if the growth rate at the time persisted.  It only increased by a factor of 5.  That's, :unsure:, progress?

Yay!  And yeah, I'd heard we're doing better than initially expected because of the lockdown. I'll take it as a win.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Richard Hakluyt

Interesting data from Australia, at 6:33 :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52178501

Despite schools and most shops remaining open the number of new cases is plummeting. They are practising social distancing but also have undisciplined anti-social bellends just like in Blighty.

It is a spacious country of course; but otoh over 80% of the population live in 5 or 6 cities.

Might indicate a way forward for the rest of us.

Josquius

Quote from: mongers on April 05, 2020, 05:28:38 PM
I really hope Johnson doesn't die, because after the virus crisis is finally over, I want him to face up to mini-disaster that his 'authorship' of Brexit debate/process will turned out to be.   :bowler:

Sadly with corona I think they'll be able to nicely cover that up :(
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on April 06, 2020, 02:05:44 AM
Quote from: mongers on April 05, 2020, 05:28:38 PM
I really hope Johnson doesn't die, because after the virus crisis is finally over, I want him to face up to mini-disaster that his 'authorship' of Brexit debate/process will turned out to be.   :bowler:

Sadly with corona I think they'll be able to nicely cover that up :(

Yeah it will be all "OMG if Covid-19 didn't happen Brexit would have been SUCH A SUCCESS. But now because of the virus we are experiencing this ten year recession".

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Fate on April 05, 2020, 07:05:19 PM
Some of the hardest hit parts of Italy don't have public transportation like subways and are smaller towns/cities.

Just because you live in Alabama doesn't mean your nursing home is some how a rural snowflake. These places are going to get devestated all across the country.
Also the number of states that are keeping religious gatherings open ahead of, probably, the second bigggest day of the year for churches strikes me as possibly fairly risky.

Edit: On religious gatherings, Deliveroo is offering Jewish customers Passover kits given that they might be socially isolating or not able to get to all the shops, which is nice.
Let's bomb Russia!

Gups

Syt

Austrian government has presented a timetable.

Facemasks become mandatory in public from next week (not sure where people are supposed to get masks, but ok ...)

Starting 14th April, small shops under 400 square meters will be permitted to open again, plus big home improvement stores and garden centers. All under the same safety rules as supermarkets - keeping distance, wearing facemasks etc.

Starting May 1st, all other shops and malls where client/shop staff aren't in close contact will be permitted to open again, same rules apply.

Bars, restaurants, and other businesses to follow mid-May at earliest.

The general ban on going outside (except for food shopping, going to work, medical reasons, or catch fresh air/exercise) stays in effect until at least end of April.

All events like concerts, football games etc. remain banned till end of June.

All this is obviously tentative.

EDIT: daily rate of (reported) new infections is below numbers of people recovering, apparently.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on April 06, 2020, 03:58:48 AM
Tigers in Bronx Zoo test positive for Covid-19:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2020/04/tiger-coronavirus-covid19-positive-test-bronx-zoo/

Well this is worrying.
If tigers can get it...
You can take our old people but leave our dogs alone.
██████
██████
██████