Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

And who can blame them - God knows how much a holiday will cost next year :P

(It has prompted me to look for flights  :ph34r: )
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 13, 2022, 04:33:55 AMAnd who can blame them - God knows how much a holiday will cost next year :P

(It has prompted me to look for flights  :ph34r: )

Oh my, the horror!

crazy canuck

I have heard the term revenge travel being used.

I think this is the worst time to travel if you haven't already booked and even then it might not be great unless you like really crowded places. Not my thing so I think I'm going to take this year off or try to find something that others wouldn't necessarily find.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 13, 2022, 08:33:52 AMI have heard the term revenge travel being used.

I think this is the worst time to travel if you haven't already booked and even then it might not be great unless you like really crowded places. Not my thing so I think I'm going to take this year off or try to find something that others wouldn't necessarily find.

Make more money and buy a private jet.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 13, 2022, 08:33:52 AMI have heard the term revenge travel being used.

I've heard from travelers that some travel agencies simply cancel their agreement, ask for a increase in price, or a bigger account of what was already agreed upon.  These contracts seem to be made with a "force majeure" clause that allow this.  It is legally dubious in Quebec, imho.  I mean, covid-19 is by now not considered a "force majeure" clause for consumers to get out of any contract. Regular price increase due to inflation should not be subject to this.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on April 13, 2022, 12:54:46 PM

Make more money and buy a private jet.
Why buy when you can rent?
The cost to rent a private jet varies from $2,000 – $11,000 per billable flight hour

Affordable enough for any decent lawyer ;)

I mean, honestly, let's say it's 3000$/hour.  Vancouver-Vegas is 2:30.  That amounts to 7500$.  About the price for one 1st class seat.  Travelling with 4 people, it's more economical for him to rent a jet than buy 1st class seats for everyone, or even only for him and Ms CC while the (grown up) kids travel in economy. ;)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

I'm thinking myself about a vacation next winter.  Most popular destination is Cuba and Dominican Republic.  I'm not too sure I want to go there.  I don't fancy crowded places, especially if they're all Québécois.   :ph34r:  But it'd probably be cheaper to go there, and I'd likely be able to rent a condo from someone in DR, instead of an expensive hotel.

Syt

The education ministry in Austria is giving EUR 500 to all school headmasters and headmistresses as bonus for the hard work during Covid. The money goes to them personally, not the schools.

Asked why none of the money goes to the teaching staff, the minister replied, "We have 120,000 teachers in Austria, we don't have the budget to pay them all, but we nevertheless wanted to extend a gesture of appreciation to the schools in the countries, so we decided to at least pay a bonus to the heads of the schools."

Which is pretty much on brand for ÖVP politics - demanding sacrifice and effort from the bottom levels of a hierarchy and rewarding those on the higher rungs of the ladder.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Threviel on April 12, 2022, 02:26:05 AM
Quote from: viper37 on April 11, 2022, 11:08:29 PM
Quote from: Threviel on April 04, 2022, 08:47:02 AMSo I don't see the problem with Covid, go to work if you're well enough regardless of what the covid tests show. Just like with any other disease.

LIke Tamas said, this shouldn't be standard policy, even if it's the flu, people should stay home or at least isolate themselves at work if they absolutely need to be there and wear a mask.  these things at least work for the common cold and flu.

If you're sick with the flu you ain't well enough to work and if you're well enough with a flu to work you ain't spreading it very much...

But yeah, you're correct. In my line of work I will work from home in the future when sick when I earlier always went to work if I could.

All well and good for us desk jockeys and labourers in civilised coountries, but I wouldn't want to be a labourer in an anglo-saxon country calling in sick with a cold...

Yeah, that's the problem with covid all round. It's been very unequal in its treatment.
On the one hand the early days were best for more manual people with getting paid to just do whatever they wanted. I met a physio friend for the first time since before covid last night and he says he had a handful of high paying clients but otherwise was getting paid to just ride his bike and go swimming and whatever else he wanted to do.
Now though it's the opposite with office workers getting a big remote work boost and others being put in a very difficult place should they get ill.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

I mean, shitty jobs are shitty, news at 11, really.

When I was working shift nobody paused to think about maybe forcing everyone to work shift and have a highly irregular sleep pattern, just to make up for me and my colleagues having it rough.

frunk

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 13, 2022, 04:27:43 AMStriking update from EasyJet - summer bookings are currently ahead of where they were in 2019. I really thought travel and air travel especially would take a little longer to recover :hmm:

I was in Niagara Falls this past week, and normally it's a dead time of year for the tourist destination.  Too cold, rainy and windy.  This year there were significantly more tourists running around.

DGuller

Looks like another wave may be coming to the NYC area.  Honestly, I feel like I'm approaching the "fuck it" territory.  I don't want to be back to WFH full time again, it's just too much of a hit on my overall wellbeing, so it seems like a certainty that at some point I'll expose myself to the virus.

Where is everyone on their "fuck it" scale?

Tamas

Almost nobody at Luton or Warsaw Chopin airports wearing masks (neither do we). "fuck it" seems to be at 99.5% in the general population.

I am also convinced I had it a month ago (exposing my wife to it as well) so less worried than otherwise I would be.

celedhring

We're doing away with our mask mandate this week. Only will be mandated in public transportation and hospitals/nursing homes.

We'll see...

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on April 14, 2022, 02:59:15 AMThe education ministry in Austria is giving EUR 500 to all school headmasters and headmistresses as bonus for the hard work during Covid. The money goes to them personally, not the schools.

Asked why none of the money goes to the teaching staff, the minister replied, "We have 120,000 teachers in Austria, we don't have the budget to pay them all, but we nevertheless wanted to extend a gesture of appreciation to the schools in the countries, so we decided to at least pay a bonus to the heads of the schools."

Which is pretty much on brand for ÖVP politics - demanding sacrifice and effort from the bottom levels of a hierarchy and rewarding those on the higher rungs of the ladder.
:lol: