Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on May 20, 2022, 04:38:45 PMGuardian wrote its been spreading among gay men.
Yes. In the UK last week I think there were four cases discovered - all four were gay or bisexual men or other men who have sex with men.

I very much hoped we wouldn't be doing this again ever - but here's an interesting thread on current theories by a virologist :lol: :weep: :ph34r:
https://twitter.com/angie_rasmussen/status/1527620942607749120
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tonitrus

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 02, 2022, 05:56:03 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 02, 2022, 05:08:09 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 02, 2022, 03:46:26 PMAre they chanting "USA, USA, USA" like ours were over the weekend?
I wonder what the US protesters are singing?  :hmm:

Oh Canada?

I just hope it doesn't come out as "Oh Canada, ooooh Canada...oh Canada!"

Barrister

Alberta has gone ahead and lifted all remaining Covid-19 restrictions.

There weren't many: mostly just isolation requirement if you have Covid-19, and mandatory masking on public transit.  But they're gone now.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Threviel

Now there's been some time and data has been collected so it's time to start analyzing the different responses. Eurostat has statistics for excess deaths. I haven't figured out how to show it simple, but going to this place:

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/cache/website/covid/vis/DIR_CV2/?simple=true&hideIndicators=true&indicator=0&lang=en

And comparing Sweden to EU is interesting. In short, me and Brainy were correct and the Swedish response seems to have worked.

DGuller

Quote from: Threviel on June 16, 2022, 12:18:13 AMAnd comparing Sweden to EU is interesting. In short, me and Brainy were correct and the Swedish response seems to have worked.
I still think that the most fair comparison of Sweden's strategy is to compare it against their neighbors.  All Nordic countries look good against EU, as for one they don't have to count countries like Romania as one of their own.  If you compare Sweden against Norway, Finland, or Denmark, though, it's not at all clear that the Swedish approach was vindicated on deaths alone.

Threviel

Quote from: DGuller on June 16, 2022, 12:31:48 AM
Quote from: Threviel on June 16, 2022, 12:18:13 AMAnd comparing Sweden to EU is interesting. In short, me and Brainy were correct and the Swedish response seems to have worked.
I still think that the most fair comparison of Sweden's strategy is to compare it against their neighbors.  All Nordic countries look good against EU, as for one they don't have to count countries like Romania as one of their own.  If you compare Sweden against Norway, Finland, or Denmark, though, it's not at all clear that the Swedish approach was vindicated on deaths alone.

Apart from an early big bump (which can be explained by Swedish health care not following recommendations early on) Sweden is mostly on the lower end also in that comparison.

Sheilbh

FWIW the WHO has done a similar comparison of excess mortality (there are some problems with it, I think particularly their Germany numbers).

But similarly the UK is basically exactly average, including in Europe, as is Italy - but narratives and perceptions were formed at the start that are how covid will be remembered. The really striking thing is divergence from official numbers - so the French excess deaths is far lower than the official numbers, presumably because they were accidentally over-reporting especially at the start.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 15, 2022, 08:28:08 PMThe Faucci has tested positive.

It couldn't have happened to a nicer person.*

I DO hope we isn't badly affected, as it would be a bit of a tragedy if his health was damaged.

* I intentionally used that expression in the wrong way, as as written it's true of him.

mongers

Exactly a month since the last post in this thread, weird that this should become such a non-story, just a fact of life, currently it's killing an average of 60 people a day inthe UK and infection rates are high.

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on July 16, 2022, 08:08:57 AMExactly a month since the last post in this thread, weird that this should become such a non-story, just a fact of life, currently it's killing an average of 60 people a day inthe UK and infection rates are high.

I think it's like the Brexit effect, just worldwide - people are exhausted and would rather pretend it's not a thing anymore, and it has decreased to a level where we can manage that.

Josquius

Even on a personal level these days it's "oh Sam's got covid again lol" rather than the dire "Holy shit is he OK?" it once was

Cheers vaccines.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Yeah I went on a weekend trip to Montreal a couple weeks ago and came back with COVID. Nasty flu for a few days. Only annoying thing now is I'm testing positive although my symptoms have mostly dissapated.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011