US-Iran War Has Begun! Iran launches dozens of ballistic missiles!

Started by jimmy olsen, January 02, 2020, 07:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 02, 2020, 10:42:30 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 02, 2020, 08:49:43 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 02, 2020, 08:48:50 PM
Well this guy did/does have nine lives, so maybe in the morning he'll have miraculously escaped death?

Or maybe he's deader than disco and someone else did it.
The Pentagon's issued a statement confirming. And the President has tweeted a picture of an American flag.

Presumably for the coffins coming back from the Middle East, which he won't meet or acknowledge?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 02, 2020, 10:42:30 PM
The Pentagon's issued a statement confirming. And the President has tweeted a picture of an American flag.

Okey dokey

Razgovory

Quote from: KRonn on January 02, 2020, 08:10:34 PM
I don't think Trump is escalating, but protecting the embassy. Those "mourners" as the media and the Iranian govt like to call them are Iranian militia being handled by Iranian government. The Iranians have a lot of operatives, militia and control in Iraq which is not wanted by most Iraqis. Iran would probably like to escalate things to make things messy for Trump but I really don't think Pres Trump has any strong notion to getting into another major conflict there except for what was done with Isis. So I hope Trump doesn't take the bait and make airstrikes on Iran or something, which I'm sure some of the hawks and neo-cons in government are pushing for.

Mr. Hannity, please put KRonn back on the line.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

What is the strategic purpose of the strike?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 02, 2020, 11:33:38 PM

Reciprocity/revenge for the US embassy attack.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on January 03, 2020, 12:18:15 AM

Reciprocity/revenge for the US embassy attack.
That's a motive, not a strategy
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Seems like the answer to thread title is yes

https://twitter.com/khamenei_ir/status/1212989051093028864

QuoteDear Iranian Nation!
Years of sincere, brave efforts fighting against the devils& villainous in the world & yrs of wishing for martyrdom on the path of God finally took the dear Commander of Islam, Soleimani, to this lofty status. His blood was shed by the most barbaric of men

We congratulate Imam Mahdi ('a.j.) & Soleimani's pure soul& condole the Iranian nation on this great martyrdom. He was an eminent example of a person trained in Islam. He spent all his life in struggling for God. Martyrdom was the reward for his tireless efforts over the years.

His efforts & path won't be stopped by his martyrdom, by God's Power, rather a #SevereRevenge awaits the criminals who have stained their hands with his & the other martyrs' blood last night. Martyr Soleimani is an Intl figure of Resistance & all such people will seek revenge.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Solmyr

Getting attention away from impeachment/trial?

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

Tim, let's be honest, your main opposition to this is due to the fact that it was okayed by Trump.

Tamas

I don't mind they killed that guy, my worry is that as usual they are starting something in Iraq with no thought given to how they are going to end it.

Razgovory

I fear it's just Trump lashing out.  The embassy thing scared him.  I have no problem with shows of force, even lethal shows of force that designed to dissuade an enemy.  The US hit Iranian backed militias in Syria.  Cool.  The Iranians respond by staging violent protests outside our embassy in Baghdad.  US helicopters fly overhead and drop flares and the protesters disperse.  We won.  We blasted some Syrian militias at the cost of some windows and gates at the Green Zone.  Awesome.  Then we use military assets to assassinate one of the most popular and most influential leaders in Iran on the streets of the capital of an ally who really doesn't like us that well.  Not at some bunker, or training camp or whatever, but in a major metropolitan area.  With an airstrike.  If Trump is telling the truth and really doesn't war (and I believe he doesn't really want war), then this is possibly one of the stupidest moves he could possibly make.

If only we had some part of the government that handled foreign policy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Now would be really bad time to be on a US, Saudi, or Emerati flight.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on January 03, 2020, 02:59:39 AM
Tim, let's be honest, your main opposition to this is due to the fact that it was okayed by Trump.

Quote from: Tamas on January 03, 2020, 03:01:01 AM
I don't mind they killed that guy, my worry is that as usual they are starting something in Iraq with no thought given to how they are going to end it.

Is this really how you feel about this?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.