News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Net Worth

Started by Eddie Teach, December 23, 2019, 10:28:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is your net worth over $100 thousand American?

Yes
27 (58.7%)
No
16 (34.8%)
Maybe/Not Sure/Jaron
3 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Barrister

Quote from: Habbaku on December 23, 2019, 10:51:54 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 23, 2019, 10:39:35 AM
There is an apples and oranges aspect.  Most gringos are going to have 401ks which look a lot like net worth and many if not most yuros are going to have defined benefit pensions that don't get counted.

:huh: Why shouldn't defined benefit pensions get counted? The value of those is not trivial to calculate, but nor is it insurmountable. If the enlightened balls of light are ignoring the value of them, then, sure, that'd be silly. Just as silly as an American not taking away the value of whatever home/student/medical loans they have.

I guess he's differentiating between a state pension and a private pension.

I know my defined benefits pension certainly has an assessed value if you ask for it.  You could even cash it out if you're foolish enough to do so.

If you wanted to look at liquid assets it's minimal, but total net worth including house and pension, minus debts and mortgage, is easily over $100k US.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on December 23, 2019, 12:38:09 PM
I guess he's differentiating between a state pension and a private pension.

I'm differentiating between defined payment and defined benefit.

I just think that most people lump defined payment into net worth because the current cash value is sitting there on your statement, and most most don't with defined benefit because the cash value is not readily available.

I'm curious how academics and reporters and government agencies treat these two.

Anyone know?

OttoVonBismarck

Defined-payment, national pension schemes aren't usually included in normal net worth calculations that I've seen, in finance or economics etc, academic or otherwise.

401ks are almost always included in net worth calculations.

Defined-benefit private pensions I'm honestly less sure on, they almost always have a cash value so it wouldn't be hard to include them. Government pension schemes are harder because they are frequently changed by laws and often have no defined cash value (some State-level pensions in the U.S. do though, and even have cash out options.)

Josquius

I don't think so.
But with pensions et al who knows.
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

If you were to put a number on the lump sum worth of your SS benefits, how would you do it?  I know it's an annuity of some kind, but what parameters do you use? 

Sheilbh

With pension savings I have a net worth. Without I am getting out of some loans, overdrafts, credit cards etc :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

No, my mortgage is still too high.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Monoriu

I voted on the basis of not counting my pension. 

Camerus

Razgovory

I'm worth maybe a grand.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

This isn't a consideration of mine, but the limited number of healthy/active years I have left is very important to me , but it's probably quite small number.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

I think so...but the reality of that would not be known until I actually sell my assets. Schrodinger's net worth I guess.

Theoretically yes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on December 24, 2019, 02:09:10 AM
I think so...but the reality of that would not be known until I actually sell my assets. Schrodinger's net worth I guess.

Theoretically yes.

cash on hand is not net worth

Valmy

Damnit CC, I am an Engineer not an Accountant
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

saskganesh

humans were created in their own image