News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Net Worth

Started by Eddie Teach, December 23, 2019, 10:28:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is your net worth over $100 thousand American?

Yes
27 (58.7%)
No
16 (34.8%)
Maybe/Not Sure/Jaron
3 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tamas

Habbaku

Nope. I'm about 3 years out.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

There is an apples and oranges aspect.  Most gringos are going to have 401ks which look a lot like net worth and many if not most yuros are going to have defined benefit pensions that don't get counted.

Maladict

I'll probably have paid off enough of my mortgage to qualify in ten years or so.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Habbaku

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 23, 2019, 10:39:35 AM
There is an apples and oranges aspect.  Most gringos are going to have 401ks which look a lot like net worth and many if not most yuros are going to have defined benefit pensions that don't get counted.

:huh: Why shouldn't defined benefit pensions get counted? The value of those is not trivial to calculate, but nor is it insurmountable. If the enlightened balls of light are ignoring the value of them, then, sure, that'd be silly. Just as silly as an American not taking away the value of whatever home/student/medical loans they have.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Iormlund

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 23, 2019, 10:39:35 AM

I would be very (and pleasantly) surprised if I see some of that pension money. The system in Spain is basically bankrupt.

As for the OT I'm about to sink my savings into real estate. With a bit of luck and my usual lack of spending (no kids!) I can pay the mortgage off in ~15 years. That would leave me another 10 or so years to save up for retirement, if such a thing still exists.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Habbaku on December 23, 2019, 10:51:54 AM
:huh: Why shouldn't defined benefit pensions get counted? The value of those is not trivial to calculate, but nor is it insurmountable. If the enlightened balls of light are ignoring the value of them, then, sure, that'd be silly. Just as silly as an American not taking away the value of whatever home/student/medical loans they have.

As silly as an American not including Social Security?  :ph34r:

Habbaku

I would discount Social Security to ~70% of expectations.  :P

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Camerus

My wife and I are formidable savers.  :ph34r:

Tamas

Quote from: Camerus on December 23, 2019, 11:11:44 AM
My wife and I are formidable savers.  :ph34r:

My wife is a formidable saver. I am... less so

crazy canuck

Most everyone in Vancouver who bought a house more than 10 years ago would vote yes.

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 23, 2019, 11:28:56 AM
Most everyone in Vancouver who bought a house more than 10 years ago would vote yes.

Stockholm is the same.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HisMajestyBOB

I just barely break even. Thanks student loans!
I am a lot closer to 100k if you take Redfin's wildly optimistic valuation on my house instead of using the last appraised value or a reasonable estimation.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help