News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Doesn't really bother me when a anti-Semitic homophobic white supremacist(weird flex on her part) loses her job over not learning when to shut up.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 13, 2021, 08:09:38 PM
Doesn't really bother me when a anti-Semitic homophobic white supremacist(weird flex on her part) loses her job over not learning when to shut up.

I get that but there is a context.

I think Disney would have been better off just pretending her social media idiocy just didn't exist.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Solmyr

Quote from: Valmy on February 13, 2021, 10:26:49 PM

I think Disney would have been better off just pretending her social media idiocy just didn't exist.

They already tried that earlier, didn't work.

Valmy

Quote from: Solmyr on February 14, 2021, 01:30:42 AM
Quote from: Valmy on February 13, 2021, 10:26:49 PM

They already tried that earlier, didn't work.

They have another big mess on their hands after overpaying for Star Wars after they finally were making something people were liking. Is this working?

You engage in stupid stuff you win stupid prizes. Disney should be above the social media idiocy. If this actress actually does something then yeah you fire her. Now they are also opening themselves up to immense social pressure every time some person who works for them posts something stupid on social media. Hurrah? Big win?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Solmyr

Well, maybe now people working for them will think twice before posting stupid shit on social media. So yeah, a win. :)

Also, if she went out physically in front of Disney HQ shouting antisemitic and transphobic shit, she'd get fired, surely? This is no different, except she's shouting to a bigger audience.

garbon

Interesting that V thinks corporations should just turn a blind eye when their employees repeatedly post bigoted things because "it's just social media".
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on February 14, 2021, 01:48:19 AM
Interesting that V thinks corporations should just turn a blind eye when their employees repeatedly post bigoted things because "it's just social media".

Why is that interesting? Are you threatening me?

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on February 14, 2021, 01:49:42 AM

No, just one of your stupid takes that generally leads to you posting emotionally
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Solmyr on February 14, 2021, 01:37:32 AM
Well, maybe now people working for them will think twice before posting stupid shit on social media. So yeah, a win. :)

Well it has been a decade since this whole thing of firing people for social media foolishness has been normalized. I haven't noticed all the big social progress we have made since then.

And yeah one would think everybody would stop doing this garbage on social media. You don't have to look far to see people paying big prices for it.

And while we would certainly hope this kind of thing is always done righteously to strike down the wicked that is generally not how these things always go. American Corporations are well known for always using their arbitrary power for good after all.

But anyway don't post on social media kids.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on February 14, 2021, 01:51:30 AM

No, just one of your stupid takes that generally leads to you posting emotionally

Ah. Very cute.

Anyway you mischaracterized what I was saying and misquoted me with something I never said. You are free to interpret a take I never made and something I never said as stupid.

Sophie Scholl

Ignoring issues never works. Sorry. It just imbeds the problem deeper and more pervasively through the whole. When things have been left to rot and fester under the "just ignore it" model for as long as they have, it is going to take a lot of time, pain, and effort to even begin to see widespread change. The fact that there is change though (For example: Go watch a new Harvey Weinstein production or a Kevin Spacey film. Oh. Wait.) is encouraging and reason to hold out hope that this is the correct course to take.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on February 14, 2021, 02:02:43 AM

Ah. Very cute.

Anyway you mischaracterized what I was saying and misquoted me with something I never said. You are free to interpret a take I never made and something I never said as stupid.

No, I cut to the heart of your silly take. It would not have been a better take for Disney to keep their head in the sand.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on February 14, 2021, 02:38:30 AM
Quote from: Valmy on February 14, 2021, 02:02:43 AM

Ah. Very cute.

No, I cut to the heart of your silly take. It would not have been a better take for Disney to keep their head in the sand.

That is not what my take was at all. I was only saying that in this particular circumstances, because it was the first thing with Star Wars they had made something people were actually enjoying that maybe it might have been a better decision to sidestep the controversy. I could be wrong but there are 74 million Trump voters out there and you are trying to get a vast audience. And then what happens when somebody else on one of your movies makes a controversial tweet? Then suddenly the pressure will pour in to keep doing it, especially if right wingers feel like some left wing person should get fired to even the score or something. Is that really the publicity you might want? I don't know. But I specifically referring to this particular situation.

What I certainly did not say was that corporations should just turn a blind eye when their employees post bigoted things because "it's just social media." That is a really extreme way to characterize what I was saying. Especially since I certainly would never say something like "it's just social media" as I have said for years it is actually very dangerous and serious. Anything you put up there can stick with you the rest of your life and ruin it.

I have never really liked this busybody let's police everybody and punish the wicked stuff. It seems all very culty. But on the other hand nobody forced this woman to be a jackass publicly so you know...if you like Trump and QAnon (or some other controversial political opinion) best to do that under an alias.

Zoupa

Dude I love you but what is your point exactly? You seem to be saying tout et son contraire.

She wasn't even fired was she? I thought they just didn't offer her a new contract.

Eddie Teach

I don't know anything about the previous tweets, just the "last straw". I don't think whining about how Democrats are like Nazis is flagrant enough for Disney stepping in to be a wise move. There's a reason Godwin's Law is so familiar, those comparisons are old hat.

Was anyone considering boycotting Disney over Carano's tweets before they made this a story?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?