News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

I've been watching Clone Wars, midway through season 2. One thing I find funny is how often there will be missions with multiple "generals" and half a dozen soldiers supporting them.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on January 23, 2021, 05:48:28 AM
Started with the Mandalore arc in s5 this weekend. Still haven't finished it, but the first thing I noticed is that Clone Wars Bo-Katan feels more like Mandalorian Bo-Katan than Rebels Bo-Katan did. Here she's more of a gray character, driven and with a nasty streak ([spoiler]she's Death Watch afterall[/spoiler]), while in Rebels she was a complete goody two shoes. I always assumed that the fall of Mandalore made her nastier and bitter, but it seems the writing was just a bit inconsistent (I certainly prefer the CW-Mandalorian version of the character).

Keep watching, you will see Bo-Katan evolve into more of what you see in Rebels.  I am not sure I agree about the goody two shoes, that character always has a hard edge, that softens just a bit if it is deserved.

celedhring

Finished the 5th season. The Ashoka arc is pretty damn good. She's quickly becoming one of my favorite characters in this whole Star Wars TV universe. Also, her bond with Anakin feels far more significant than the one with Padmé (no surprise here).

One thing I've never quite understood, though, is that Anakin is given a padawan yet he's not a master (he's denied the rank in Revenge of the Sith).

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on February 02, 2021, 12:11:49 PM
Finished the 5th season. The Ashoka arc is pretty damn good. She's quickly becoming one of my favorite characters in this whole Star Wars TV universe. Also, her bond with Anakin feels far more significant than the one with Padmé (no surprise here).

One thing I've never quite understood, though, is that Anakin is given a padawan yet he's not a master (he's denied the rank in Revenge of the Sith).

Remember the episode early on (maybe even season 1) where she was supposed to be Obi Wan's padawan, but she became Anakin's padawan because it was believed it would help him.

The Minsky Moment

Jedi Knights can train an apprentice; Kenobi had just been promoted to Jedi Knight when he took on the kid.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 02, 2021, 02:37:22 PM
Jedi Knights can train an apprentice; Kenobi had just been promoted to Jedi Knight when he took on the kid.

iirc that was another special case.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

Guess making out with his sister really affected Luke :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

It also shows that Mark Hamill is a great dude. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Kinda wish he had a bigger career. That said, he's not a very good actor outside of voice acting.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on February 03, 2021, 07:04:16 AM
Kinda wish he had a bigger career. That said, he's not a very good actor outside of voice acting.

I was about to say...he has had a great career. He is a very talented voice actor.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

There are persistent rumors that a KOTOR III is in development, but it has nothing to do with EA/Bioware.

Not much has filtered since last year, just more&more rumors going on.  Eventually, something will come of it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on February 06, 2021, 04:32:10 PM
There are persistent rumors that a KOTOR III is in development, but it has nothing to do with EA/Bioware.

Not much has filtered since last year, just more&more rumors going on.  Eventually, something will come of it.

Is it Obsidian? Please don't be Ubisoft.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on February 07, 2021, 03:39:59 PM
Quote from: viper37 on February 06, 2021, 04:32:10 PM

Is it Obsidian? Please don't be Ubisoft.
they don't say.  No confirmation from Disney/Lucas Arts on this, just annoying rumours.

Inverse Codex
Everything we know about the rumored Knights of the Old Republic 3

Could Darth Revan return in KOTOR 3?
Corey Plante
1.25.2021 12:28 PM

A far-flung dream for many gamers out there might one day soon come true: A new video game based on the beloved Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic franchise is reportedly in development.

BioWare's Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (2003) was the first game about a galaxy far, far away that disregarded the Skywalker family and set out on its own story about a Darth Revan, a Jedi who lived about 4,000 years before the original films. Revan fell to the dark side of the Force, became a Sith Lord, and then became a blank slate for the player to shape as they saw fit thanks to a convenient bout of amnesia. The role-playing game was so successful that Obsidian Entertainment developed a sequel a year later, which was met with critical acclaim.

The franchise seemed to be dead in the water for more than 15 years, but new rumors that emerged in 2021 have reinspired hope, of all things, that a new Star Wars role-playing game was secretly in development. Here's everything we know about Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 3.
Is KOTOR 3 in development?
Darth Revan is one of the greatest Force users of all time.BioWare

Star Wars insider Bespin Bulletin — which has a fairly reliable track record when it comes to Star Wars news — reported during a January 21, 2021 podcast episode that a new Knights of the Old Republic game was in development outside of Electronic Arts and EA.

"Amongst my digging, I heard there is a Knights of the Old Republic project in development somewhere," Bespin Bulletin said. "I talked to a couple of people, and I also found out that Jason Schreier said that it's not with EA, and we'll 'never guess' who the studio is that's making this game."

He's referring to a comment that Bloomberg games reporter Jason Schreier made on the Resetera forums in December 2020: "Nobody's going to guess right that's for sure," he said on a thread where fans were speculating what studio might be developing the game.

Nate Najda of Wushu Studios also hinted in the same Resetera thread that he had knowledge of the game: "It's not as mysterious as you think," Najda wrote. "It's just not a household name most people are aware of." By all accounts, it sure seems like these rumors might be true, but how did we get here?

Disney signed a deal with Electronic Arts in 2013 that gave the publisher exclusive rights to Star Wars games. Disney announced BioWare's games were no longer canon in 2015, and two years later EA shifted its focus from single-player games to online titles while Disney invested a lot of time and money into developing the new trilogy of movies. Eventually, that also included newer EA games part of Disney's canon, like Star Wars: Battlefront II and Jedi: Fallen Order.

Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy told MTV News in April 2019, however, that Disney has something in store for KOTOR fans.

"You know, we talk about that all the time," she said. "Yes, we are developing something to look at. Right now I have no idea where things might fall, but we have to be careful that there is a cadence to Star Wars that doesn't start to feel like too much."

Her statements suggested that there wasn't anything in the works outright, but that the beloved story will continue eventually. Now, we're finally seeing peaks at what she meant.

As of January 13, 2021 with the launch of Lucasfilm Games, any developer could feasibly make a Star Wars game. "We've been working quietly behind the scenes for a while now," Lucasfilm Games VP Douglas Reilly told StarWars.com. Ubisoft is making a story-driven, open-world game, and we'll likely see more from EA as well. But this "Big Bang" for the Star Wars gaming galaxy could mean all sorts of exciting new projects ... including KOTOR 3.

All of these newer developments possibly corroborate some older rumors Cinelinx reported in January 2020 that a new KOTOR game was in development.

"It wasn't so much a remake, but a 'sequel' of sorts," wrote editor-in-chief Jordan Maison. "It would be a Knights of the Old Republic project that would integrate elements from the first two games in order to bring certain things into the current Star Wars canon. Not necessarily a remake, so much as a re-imagining."
[/b]
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

I will say this. As much as I would love a new Kotor game and to get parts of Kotor brought into the current canon, I always found the "this happened 4000 years ago but the technology is roughly the same" part of the Kotor lore a bit problematic  :ph34r:

I mean, it doesn't matter for a videogame, but it would kinda bug me if they ever made an Old Republic show. So far references to ancient times (Jedi temples and such) are always kinda vague and they work.