News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on January 12, 2021, 02:30:41 AM
Has anyone checked out any of the new High Republic books/comics/stories/efforts? I'm intrigued by the concept, but haven't seen many reviews yet.
I have read good reviews, but I haven gotten around to read any books about it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on January 12, 2021, 06:23:31 AM
Quote from: Syt on January 09, 2021, 12:15:31 PM
It was actually George Lucas who wanted to bring back Maul. When the writers asked him how he thought that would be possible, considering HE GETS CUT IN HALF in Episode I, he just said, "You'll figure it out." :lol:

Not their brightest idea tbf, [spoiler]spiderlegs are super-cheesy. Fortunately they don't last much on him.[/spoiler]

But I look forward seeing him in season 5+. Similarly, Ventress is also much more fun [spoiler]when she's no longer a random Sith apprentice with a cool character design,[/spoiler]

Asaj Ventres was to have an arc dedicated to her in Clone Wars, but it got cut.  Instead, the author(s) made a novel about her and Quinlan Vos, it's called Dark disciple and it is actually very good.

On the rumour front, there is a lot of chatter from second hand sources that Filoni and Favreau are working on a way to integrate some of the events of Heir to the Empire, the first book where Grand Admiral Thrawn is featured, into some kind of cross-over for all their new tv series.

Obviously, lots of things will have to change, given the crappy sequel movies, but I still find it really fascinating.  I've been waiting 30 years for these books to be adapted as movies :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Minsky Moment

It was actually George Lucas who wanted to bring back Maul. When the writers asked him how he thought that would be possible, considering HE GETS CUT IN HALF in Episode I:

It was just a flesh wound.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

celedhring

Quote from: viper37 on January 12, 2021, 12:31:29 PM
Quote from: celedhring on January 12, 2021, 06:23:31 AM
It was actually George Lucas who wanted to bring back Maul. When the writers asked him how he thought that would be possible, considering HE GETS CUT IN HALF in Episode I, he just said, "You'll figure it out." :lol:

Not their brightest idea tbf, [spoiler]spiderlegs are super-cheesy. Fortunately they don't last much on him.[/spoiler]

But I look forward seeing him in season 5+. Similarly, Ventress is also much more fun [spoiler]when she's no longer a random Sith apprentice with a cool character design,[/spoiler]

Asaj Ventres was to have an arc dedicated to her in Clone Wars, but it got cut.  Instead, the author(s) made a novel about her and Quinlan Vos, it's called Dark disciple and it is actually very good.

On the rumour front, there is a lot of chatter from second hand sources that Filoni and Favreau are working on a way to integrate some of the events of Heir to the Empire, the first book where Grand Admiral Thrawn is featured, into some kind of cross-over for all their new tv series.

Obviously, lots of things will have to change, given the crappy sequel movies, but I still find it really fascinating.  I've been waiting 30 years for these books to be adapted as movies :P

Mmmm... yeah the Thrawn trilogy doesn't fit too well with the current canon. And quite honestly, besides the character of Thrawn there isn't that much great stuff in these books (Luuke!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq30vO3K4Lw&ab_channel=julianrougeron

I've always got the feeling they are going to use Thrawn to explain the rise of the First Order.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on January 12, 2021, 12:53:47 PM
Mmmm... yeah the Thrawn trilogy doesn't fit too well with the current canon. And quite honestly, besides the character of Thrawn there isn't that much great stuff in these books (Luuke!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq30vO3K4Lw&ab_channel=julianrougeron

I've always got the feeling they are going to use Thrawn to explain the rise of the First Order.

Mara Jade, Talon Karrde and the slicer Ghent are all interesting characters, imho, much more so than Luke who is a tad boring.
They also introduce the Noghri, which we see in Rebels along Thrawn.

But yeah, they would have to make it appear as so he is involved in the rise of the First Order for things to work out with the new canon universe.

Sophie Scholl

I think the idea of a large fleet that has been mothballed/lost and being rediscovered to be a potent weapon would and could be utilized to good effect. I'd imagine they could make a massive Separatist Fleet that just kind of deactivated when Palpatine ended the war by taking the mask off would be a pretty big game changer for whomever found it in the aftermath of the death of Palpatine in Jedi. There are other plot points and secondary characters that could be fun to bring in, too. All without having to adopt all of the really terrible ideas and silly thing. A nice pick and choose type effort would be allow for nice Easter eggs for older fans and also help fill out the universe additionally.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Eddie Teach

Of course Luke is boring. He's the Everyman character, the one the audience replaces with themselves.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on January 12, 2021, 04:32:47 PM
I think the idea of a large fleet that has been mothballed/lost and being rediscovered to be a potent weapon would and could be utilized to good effect.

Didn't they just do that storyline?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sophie Scholl

I don't know. I've yet to start the Mandalorian. Or watch Rebels/Resistance.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on January 12, 2021, 05:20:16 PM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on January 12, 2021, 04:32:47 PM
I think the idea of a large fleet that has been mothballed/lost and being rediscovered to be a potent weapon would and could be utilized to good effect.

Didn't they just do that storyline?

Not that I'm aware of... What did you have in mind?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on January 12, 2021, 10:58:07 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 12, 2021, 10:40:49 PM
Episode 9?

Ding ding ding!
Not exactly the same thing.  It was a top of the line fully functional fleet filled with, presumably, clones, to operate these warships.  Not the same as a lost fleet considered to be a myth by nearly everyone.

Besides, that movie was awful.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: viper37 on January 13, 2021, 01:52:41 AM
Quote from: Barrister on January 12, 2021, 10:58:07 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 12, 2021, 10:40:49 PM
Episode 9?

Ding ding ding!
Not exactly the same thing.  It was a top of the line fully functional fleet filled with, presumably, clones, to operate these warships.  Not the same as a lost fleet considered to be a myth by nearly everyone.

Besides, that movie was awful.
Exactly. They *could* have done something cool like lost fleets of droids or something like that. Instead, they went with the absolutely idiotic fleet of Death Star Destroyer thing filled with a billion clones all hidden under the sand of a forgotten planet. So botched a good thing and then took one of the worst parts, the dumb clone thing, from the Thrawn books. I mean, what was his clone name secretly? Emperor Palpaatine? God. So much of the movie sucks in retrospect. If it weren't bursting at the seams with fun fan service at parts, it would be complete trash.

celedhring

Still, if they went with a "look, I found this fleet of gazillion ships and I'm gonna use it blast the good guys" storyline, it would feel like a rethread.

Not that Star Wars is alien to rethreads, of all franchises, but the TV shows have managed to be rather fresh.