News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on November 22, 2020, 03:27:46 PM
The Rebels season 1 finale episodes really got me hooked on the show. Till then I liked it, but I didn't love it yet.

I have finished the two part beginning of season two.

It is great.  How is it that the writing for this cartoon is so superior to the scripts for  the multi million dollar budget live action movies.

celedhring

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 24, 2020, 10:03:45 AM
The Rebels season 1 finale episodes really got me hooked on the show. Till then I liked it, but I didn't love it yet.

It is great.  How is it that the writing for this cartoon is so superior to the scripts for  the multi million dollar budget live action movies.

Because they're multi million dollar budget live action movies. Cartoons are low risk and if you give them to a group of talented people they can have much more freedom with them. There have been a bunch of pretty great cartoons these past years.

Grey Fox

You know the answer I say to these questions.

The Skywalker saga is stupid & too blame.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

It's largely credited to Dave Filoni who is a bit of a Star Wars uber-nerd and not too shabby when writing stories. Looking forward to his Mandalorian episode next week.

In Rebels I knew shit was getting real when Tarkin puts the two bumbling officers on the spot who mostly served as comic relief in the first season and the inquisitor kills them. Stakes were immediately raised and you get the feeling that playtime is truly over.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on November 24, 2020, 10:25:39 AM

It's largely credited to Dave Filoni who is a bit of a Star Wars uber-nerd and not too shabby when writing stories. Looking forward to his Mandalorian episode next week.

In Rebels I knew shit was getting real when Tarkin puts the two bumbling officers on the spot who mostly served as comic relief in the first season and the inquisitor kills them. Stakes were immediately raised and you get the feeling that playtime is truly over.

Yeah, I loved that scene.  That was when the show made the transition from an entertaining cartoon to telling a compelling story.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on November 21, 2020, 02:50:45 PM
Quote from: Syt on November 20, 2020, 04:46:53 AM
- the Imperial base was representative of basically 50% of all Imp bases in the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games :lol: Built into a cliff side, elevators, hallways, secret lab, and some lava thrown in for good measure.

That was my very first thought once they arrived. Massive JK vibes  :lol:
there are also similar bases, one in particular, very similar to that one (albeit, it was a very different landscape) in Fallen Order.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Picked up Rebels and I'm now up to the middle of season 2. Loved that the B-Wing origin story is loosely based on the Star Wars: Strikeforce Shantipole module  :nerd:

celedhring

#Ashoka is TT in Spain  :lol:

I watched a bit of Rebels today to hype myself a bit (see above), I suspect I wasn't alone.

Syt

Well, this was much anticipated, and I think it delivered. Since Filoni wrote the script, Ahsoka in this episode seems like a natural extension from her arcs in Clone Wars and Rebels. Rosario Dawson did a fine job adopting the role. :)

Big name drops:
Thrawn! (if you're confused about it, keep watching Rebels to the end)
Tython! (looking it up, and Tython was re-canonized in one of the comics a year ago; in old EU it was mentioned first in Darth Bane: Rule of Two, and of course featured heavily in SWTOR if you pick a Jedi class). :)

The story felt a little bit like an RPG adventure, but in a good way. :D Loved to see Ahsoka in live action combat. :)

We have a name for the child! Grogu! And it was adorable how he perked up every time his name was mentioned. :wub:

Random thoughts:
- Michael Biehn! :w00t: :wub:
- when Mando is looking for Ahsoka, there's *of course* an owl/convor sitting on a tree (https://www.starwars.com/databank/morai)
- Loth cat!
- HK-87s :lol: (Filoni is a big KOTOR fan and likes to work references in)
- some nice dialogue callbacks
- loved the staredown scene between Mando and Biehn
- loved the samurai style preparation for the duel between the magistrate and Ahsoka (and I thought the magistrate was a tad too strong/competent, but I guess she may have been training a lot with her HKs?)
- establishing that beskar is, indeed, lightsaber proof
- bit of a Yojimbo homage, too? Ahsoka walking down main street to the leader, Mando double crossing the town ...
- Was wondering about Ahsoka's reverse grip throughout the episode - she changed to it in the fight after losing one saber; I guess she was in "this is easy" stance before :P

If we continue the pattern, I expect next week to be a bit of a breather episode before the two part finale of the season. Big showdown on Tython at the end of the season? Duel beskar spear vs Darksaber?

One thing I've been wondering is if Gideon is the Big Bad or if he's a henchman. Seeing him in his Arquitens cruiser last week reminded me a bit of Rebels, where the ship heavily featured at the start till the story escalated and regular Star Destroyers were brought in by the Empire. So I think it's possible, that while Gideon is a fanatic, powerful guy, there might still be an escalation to his boss. He seems to have quite some tricks up his sleeve between his "volunteer" program with force user blood and Dark Troopers (armored in beskar, maybe? :o ), but doesn't appear to have huge piles of resources. Maybe something like a competent Krennic from Rogue One who was made Moff? Besides, if he's Moff, there's still room for a Grand Moff. :P

P.S.: What if Thrawn is Gideon's boss?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

FunkMonk

This show is real good.

My one hope is that they steer clear of anything and everything from the sequel trilogy. Just forget they exist. They don't have to write it out of existence, just don't reference anything from them. I think they realize how much of a mess that trilogy was so they'd be wise to keep this separate. It would free them from writing themselves into knots trying to keep continuity with that shitshow too.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

crazy canuck

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 27, 2020, 11:36:57 AM
This show is real good.

My one hope is that they steer clear of anything and everything from the sequel trilogy. Just forget they exist. They don't have to write it out of existence, just don't reference anything from them. I think they realize how much of a mess that trilogy was so they'd be wise to keep this separate. It would free them from writing themselves into knots trying to keep continuity with that shitshow too.

I think that chances are good they will avoid it completely. Making any sense of it in subsequent stories would be too difficult.

Syt

Not necessarily. Clone Wars did some pretty good work with the prequel material they had to work with and tying those movies together better.

Personally, I hope they don't tie into the "big picture" too much except for cameos and glimpses, but I've always found stories that expanded the universe outside the main characters of the main saga more interesting.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on November 27, 2020, 01:26:20 PM
Not necessarily. Clone Wars did some pretty good work with the prequel material they had to work with and tying those movies together better.

Personally, I hope they don't tie into the "big picture" too much except for cameos and glimpses, but I've always found stories that expanded the universe outside the main characters of the main saga more interesting.

The prequels are masterpieces compared to the shite that are the sequels, though.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

HVC

I actually like the first prequel. goes down from there though.

Truthfully, of the original trilogy i only like the first one anyway
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.