Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

It was just a badly written episode.

celedhring

Quote from: Tamas on November 08, 2020, 04:37:46 AM
It was just a badly written episode.

Yeah, in retrospect you're probably right. Thinking back on it, nothing happens in the episode besides introducing Frog Lady.

Syt

Respectfully disagree.

We see more of the bond that Din and the Kid have, with the Kid clearly accepting him as a father figure and source of comfort and protection.
We further establish the naughty streak of the Kid that may hint at future problems.
We're shown again that past actions will have consequences in the show and that they can be good or bad, depending on how Din behaves.
We had Mando slipping back into expediency over doing right by his fellow traveler, which he reverses.
We see three different kinds of caring for children. The passive, protective way of the Frog Lady, the hyperaggressive way of the spiders, and Mando, who is somewhere in between.

It didn't advance the major quest much, but I don't mind. I expect that this journey isn't meant to be easy, or without dead ends. It reminds me in many ways of episode 2 of season 1 (with the Jawas and Mudhorn) in which we see Din having a really bad day, barely making it out in one piece (oddly, that episode also revolved around an egg ...), and the Razorcrest being beaten up. And he might have a future ally in the Frogsters, just as he had in Kuill.

While Din is a badass fighter, and it's fun to see him kick ass, he can become cocky. He will have setbacks, he will mess up, and have situations go from bad to worse to worst, and he will have to claw back from them, and hopefully learn from the experience. This episode was a strong reminder of that.

My only real complaint is the unsatisfying resolution with the X-Wing patrol. I assume Appa had to get back to his convenience store in time. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on November 08, 2020, 05:21:39 AM
Respectfully disagree.

We see more of the bond that Din and the Kid have, with the Kid clearly accepting him as a father figure and source of comfort and protection.
We further establish the naughty streak of the Kid that may hint at future problems.
We're shown again that past actions will have consequences in the show and that they can be good or bad, depending on how Din behaves.
We had Mando slipping back into expediency over doing right by his fellow traveler, which he reverses.
We see three different kinds of caring for children. The passive, protective way of the Frog Lady, the hyperaggressive way of the spiders, and Mando, who is somewhere in between.

Those themes, with the exception of the "how to take care of children" stuff, which is more a background motif than something that drives a plot, were already adressed in season 1, in better (imho) episodes. The episode didn't really bring anything new to the table, not even concluded the mission of delivering Frog Lady safely to the planet (I think they should have got rid of the prelude in Tatooine with the ambush, which added nothing).

Again, not bashing the show here, just not one of its strongest episodes.

Tamas

Yeah overall the show is still great, I consider this the only weak episode it has had. But it was still weak.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on November 08, 2020, 05:52:09 AM
Quote from: Syt on November 08, 2020, 05:21:39 AM
Respectfully disagree.

Those themes, with the exception of the "how to take care of children" stuff, which is more a background motif than something that drives a plot, were already adressed in season 1, in better (imho) episodes. The episode didn't really bring anything new to the table, not even concluded the mission of delivering Frog Lady safely to the planet (I think they should have got rid of the prelude in Tatooine with the ambush, which added nothing).

Again, not bashing the show here, just not one of its strongest episodes.
I will reserve my judgement for later.  If he brings the frog lady home and departs withing 10 minutes of the next episode and we never see her or her people again, I'll agree with you.

If it ends being important to the overall plot in some way, like his meeting with Cara Dune, then I'll side with Syt ;)

I wouldn't say I liked it, but I'm not ready to say it was a weak episode.

Reinforcing the idea that the kid can be bad, therefore using the dark side of the Force may serve later.  Just seeing him do something bad once is not enough, imho. :)

We'll see :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

I've started watching s2 of mandalorian.
For a no name outback desert planet Tattooine sure sees a lot of action. It's the Midsomer of the star wars universe.
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Quote from: Tyr on November 08, 2020, 04:00:20 PM
For a no name outback desert planet Tattooine sure sees a lot of action. It's the Midsomer of the star wars universe.

It's likely a budget thing, but I'd like to see what a crowded planet looks like in the Star Wars universe.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

Quote from: Liep on November 09, 2020, 12:36:19 AM
Quote from: Tyr on November 08, 2020, 04:00:20 PM

It's likely a budget thing, but I'd like to see what a crowded planet looks like in the Star Wars universe.

You have the Coruscant scenes in Attack of the Clones, but I presume you (sensibly) have forgotten about that  :lol:

FunkMonk

I actually liked this episode more than the season opener. I think it's because I'm a sucker for baby yoda and this episode had baby yoda all over the place.  :P

Also I appreciate that cops are assholes even in star wars. The world building is insanely good in this show.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Liep

Quote from: celedhring on November 09, 2020, 02:28:59 AM
You have the Coruscant scenes in Attack of the Clones, but I presume you (sensibly) have forgotten about that  :lol:

I have forgotten all about that. Is that the 2nd prequal?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

Apparently Frog Lady and Dr. Mandible are seen in the cantina back in season 1.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Yay, episode 3!

[spoiler]... and it's only 35 minutes (including recap and credits). :(

The theme of the Razorcrest getting trashed continues. I guess in a way it reflects Mando himself changing during his journey?

Big nerd-out moment when Bo-Katan's helmet comes into view. Nice to see Katee Sackhoff slip quite comfortably into a live action role she had hitherto only voiced. And it basically confirmed what has been speculated about: that taking off helmets is quite normal for Mandalorians, and apparently not taking it off is what the more extreme Deathwatch do.

Pretty standard action fare, otherwise. Nice to see Mandalorians kick ass as a group, but they also didn't feel particularly challenged. Mando felt very much like the junior member of the raiding party. Appropriately so, since Bo-Katan has been doing this for decades, fought in the Clone Wars, etc. I liked Titus Welliver as the Imperial captain. And the bit about the other officer "trapping" the Mandalorians was funny.

I'm quite glad the Kid didn't eat any more eggs or the frog couple's offspring. I'm genuinely glad their story had a happy ending for now. And maybe he learned a bit of empathy? :)

Random bits: I like that it's mostly Quarren and Mon Calamari on this water world. Nice to see Deadliest Catch, Star Wars edition, too. Though it feels a bit filler that Night Owl come to rescue Mando from the boat, then - after he left them - rescue him *again*. I like to think they had a discussion in between along the lines of "we could really use his help on this heist", but it still seemed like doing the same scenario twice.

I laughed out loud when after the seemingly successful landing the Crest dropped into the sea. And the state of the ship after the makeshift repairs. Love the new maritime stylings :D

I feel we haven't seen the last of Bo-Katan, what with her hunting Gideon and the Darksaber.

Next week Ahsoka, then? Unless we crashland again somewhere which, given the state of the ship, isn't completely unlikely. :lol:[/spoiler]
—Stephen Jay Gould