And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on November 06, 2020, 03:31:05 PM
Quote from: Syt on November 06, 2020, 03:29:27 PM
I enjoyed all Star Wars movies. And the TV shows. I haven't watched Resistance yet, though. :)

I envy you. I wish I enjoyed them.

I really wish Star Wars was cool.

But anyway if KOTOR is ever mentioned in this thread you can expect an appearance by me :P

KOTOR! KOTOR! KOTOR!

:P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Syt have you checked the latest Thrawn book, Ascendency?  I've just started it, and it's pretty cool so far, as is nearly anything with Thrawn in it :D

Outbound flight has now been made canon, that's nice :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

I thought it was a fun episode. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: viper37 on November 07, 2020, 12:17:20 AM
Syt have you checked the latest Thrawn book, Ascendency?  I've just started it, and it's pretty cool so far, as is nearly anything with Thrawn in it :D

I haven't. I read the occasional Star Wars book but not many recently. I admit I'm not a big fan of Timothy Zahn's writing. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

So, the x-wing guys saved him and then left him to die.  That made a lot of sense.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on November 07, 2020, 03:42:43 AM
Quote from: viper37 on November 07, 2020, 12:17:20 AM

I haven't. I read the occasional Star Wars book but not many recently. I admit I'm not a big fan of Timothy Zahn's writing. :)
Ah, well, if you ain't a fan of his writing, you won't like this one either.  Pity :(

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 07, 2020, 10:06:05 AM
So, the x-wing guys saved him and then left him to die.  That made a lot of sense.

they didn't left him to die.  They knew the ship could probably still fly, they were just pissed off he tried to escape.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on November 07, 2020, 04:46:43 PM

they didn't left him to die.  They knew the ship could probably still fly, they were just pissed off he tried to escape.

:lol:  I love how you hedged.  Probably, maybe sort of, with lots of luck.  Or did they just know that our hero wears plot armour and not just Mando armour.

celedhring

Yeah, that scene didn't quite make much sense. Otherwise, fun episode.

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on November 07, 2020, 05:13:52 PM

It was also remarkable that everyone was an excellent marksmen as well. Even the Frog.  Post empire, accuracy has really improved.

I enjoyed it.  But unforced writing mistakes are really unnecessary.  Disney probably spent a lot of money somewhere - lets hope for some better writing in later episodes.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 07, 2020, 04:48:20 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 07, 2020, 04:46:43 PM

:lol:  I love how you hedged.  Probably, maybe sort of, with lots of luck.  Or did they just know that our hero wears plot armour and not just Mando armour.
that too :P

What can I say?  cops get angry when they have to chase you and they're desinclined to acquiesce to your request after that :P

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 07, 2020, 05:18:16 PM
Quote from: celedhring on November 07, 2020, 05:13:52 PM

It was also remarkable that everyone was an excellent marksmen as well. Even the Frog.  Post empire, accuracy has really improved.

You should rewatch the last episode of season 1 :P

celedhring

I just don't understand the train of thought of the X-Wing pilots. If they had already decided they weren't arresting him, why were they still looking for him?  :P

That said, the "stopped for a broken light, oh your license plate is registered as being used in a crime" movie cop moment was pretty fun. But they should've resolved that whole mini-arc better (which they usually do).

Also, I believe the pro-life movement won't be adopting Baby Yoda as their pet mascot any time soon.  :sleep:

Syt

Yeah, the X-Wing resolution was weird. I kinda understand that they wanted to be sure of what happened to the ship. With seeing how he tried to foil the attack on the prison ship to some degree, maybe they wanted to see if he was alive. The closest I can get to a reasonable train of thought was that on the one hand they know he was involved in shady stuff, but that he also tried to do some good and they were unsure where he stood, on the whole. I guess they thought, "We'll leave him here with a warning, let the Force/luck/fate sort this out." At the same time it was nice to see his actions from the season 1 episode having some consequences, and possibly having some good karma coming his way.

I'm kinda curious about the Frog Lady. I liked her character and mannerism quite a bit, but she seems surprisingly capable in a pinch. She rigged the droid's interface to act as a translator. She shot spiders with high accuracy off the kid's head. She doesn't take shit from Din. And what was she doing on Tatooine? She says her species can only really live on Trask, a water world (which we will likely see next episode and which was shown in the trailer) - Tatooine is like the polar opposite to that. I feel she's more than just a concerned mom-to-be and I would love to see more of her backstory, but I doubt we'll see that. There's a shot in the trailer where two frog people are walking away from the camera; one of them definitely her.

And Baby Yoda is concerning me. Between force choking Cara, Mando constantly setting an example of violence solving everything, and him happily munching on a lady's eggs, I feel his chaotic neutral impulses will lead to some serious problems down the line unless Din becomes a stricter parent and better role model. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.