And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamilcar

Quote from: Barrister on January 22, 2020, 01:28:19 PM
Quote from: Hamilcar on January 22, 2020, 01:13:54 PM
After episode 9, I am no longer interested in Star Wars content.

your potential loss.  You take the good with the bad, really.

Apparently there's going to be a final season of CLone Wars, the animated show, which I'm interested in.  I'm interested in season 2 of Mandalorian.

I've still never watched Solo though.

If it looks like it's going to be good, I'll watch.  If it looks like it'll be bad, I won't.

I don't see it as a loss. I can't unsee the sequel movies, and they ruin the fundamental mythology of the universe. So, even if they create superb content, I'm no longer interested.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Hamilcar on January 23, 2020, 07:20:44 AM
Quote from: Hamilcar on January 22, 2020, 01:13:54 PM
After episode 9, I am no longer interested in Star Wars content.

your potential loss.  You take the good with the bad, really.

Apparently there's going to be a final season of CLone Wars, the animated show, which I'm interested in.  I'm interested in season 2 of Mandalorian.

If it looks like it's going to be good, I'll watch.  If it looks like it'll be bad, I won't.

I don't see it as a loss. I can't unsee the sequel movies, and they ruin the fundamental mythology of the universe. So, even if they create superb content, I'm no longer interested.

That situation, where you are quiting SW, is both a great resolution for you & for the SW universe.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

I never saw that the Star Wars universe even had a "fundamental mythology" other than "The Force is powerful but can be used for evil as easily as for good" without ever deciding just what The Force was.

That was okay for three movies, which were fantasy types with "the force" substituting for magic, but it couldn't sustain any closer examination, which is what made the attempt in the second three movies to transform the genre from fantasy to science fiction so awkward and unsatisfying.  I've not seen any of the "mainstream" stories since the awful "episode 7" but liked Rogue One quite a lot.

I think they need to set aside the tired and cliched "hero's journey to save the universe" story lines and just do stories.  The hero's journey, if they still want to follow the quest-type story lines, should mostly be internal anyway, and the external quest need not involve the force or the fate of the universe.

They could reboot, but not for a decade or so.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

I don't get this.  What is "the fundamental mythology of the universe"?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

The Force and Obi Wan's description of it in the first movie as a metaphysical concept.   You may have been too young to notice the huge impact that had on popular culture in the 70s.  Lucas decided the go another direction after he became born again.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 23, 2020, 11:24:10 AM
The Force and Obi Wan's description of it in the first movie as a metaphysical concept.   You may have been too young to notice the huge impact that had on popular culture in the 70s.  Lucas decided the go another direction after he became born again.

But Hamilcar said it was the sequel movies (aka the recent Disney movies) that ruined the "fundamental mythology".  Thus I don't think he's talking about midichlorines.

Never heard that Lucas was "born again".  His wiki page says he self-describes as "Buddhist methodist", and was raised as a Methodist.

Tamas

Buddhist methodist? How? :D There's either afterlife and eventual ressurection according to the Bible, or reincarnation, you cannot have both.

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on January 23, 2020, 11:52:41 AM
Buddhist methodist? How? :D There's either afterlife and eventual ressurection according to the Bible, or reincarnation, you cannot have both.

I couldn't tell you.  Here's the source for the wiki line if you're interested.

https://www.adherents.com/people/pl/George_Lucas.html

crazy canuck

That explains his religious views when he made the first movies.

viper37

Solo is good.  Compared to IX, it is a masterpiece.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on January 22, 2020, 01:47:28 PM
Finally, it's not like some inconsistencies haven't slipped in at this point anyways.  Remember Obi-wan saying to R2 "I don't remember ever owning a droid before"?  Well he had a droid in his aforementioned Jedi Starfighter, but of course he's known R2 for years and years in the prequels!
he might not have owned it, the way the Skywalkers "owned" R2-D2.  It belonged to the Republic, and he just go it with his starfighter for the battle.

That he did not recognize R2D2 is silly though.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on January 23, 2020, 07:34:15 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 22, 2020, 01:47:28 PM
Finally, it's not like some inconsistencies haven't slipped in at this point anyways.  Remember Obi-wan saying to R2 "I don't remember ever owning a droid before"?  Well he had a droid in his aforementioned Jedi Starfighter, but of course he's known R2 for years and years in the prequels!
he might not have owned it, the way the Skywalkers "owned" R2-D2.  It belonged to the Republic, and he just go it with his starfighter for the battle.

That he did not recognize R2D2 is silly though.

One possible explanation is that he was being deceptive about his real identity and more importantly Luke's true identity - which Luke did not learn until his confrontation with Vader.

The Minsky Moment

He could have easily said R2 belonged to his father.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on January 23, 2020, 07:55:32 AM

I never saw that the Star Wars universe even had a "fundamental mythology" other than "The Force is powerful but can be used for evil as easily as for good" without ever deciding just what The Force was.
over the years, movies, series, animes, books, comics, games, even when not canon today have built upon tiny bits of dialogue here&there in the original movies or the prequels to build some kind of mythology on the Force, how it can be use, what it can do, what are the technicalities of super lightspeed travels, etc, etc.

Even if you throw away the specific story lines to make new movies, you don't have to vomit over everything that was done to give flesh to that universe.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 24, 2020, 11:31:44 AM
He could have easily said R2 belonged to his father.

Sure but why make the further lie that Vader killed his father more elaborate.