News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Syt on September 13, 2023, 12:38:56 AMIf there's a downside, I'd say it was Hera's still stiff performance, and Jacen is starting to grate a little bit.
Jacen is okayish.  I am disappointed Hera hasn't entrusted him to Luke's Jedi school though.  I understand Ahsoka's reluctance to train another padawan, but Luke?

I agree about Hera.  I'm still not seeing her on screen.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 13, 2023, 07:16:09 AMBut this show is being written for the people who are true believers.
I agree, and that's the reason I like the show.
Finally, something that is not trying to reinvent everything and is going forward with the story.  After all the bad movies and the so-so Kenobi series, I'm all in on this one, despite some wooden performances here and there. :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

I was surprised by Hayden's voice. I always thought it was weird that all voice actors on Clone Wars/Rebels largely sounded like (or very similar to) the live action actors in their performances - except Matt Lanter as Anakin who I thought sounded a lot more "mature" and "grown up" than . It seemed that Hayden's performance was matching up much closer to the Clone Wars show (which he watched in prep for Obi-Wan) than the movies IMO.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Oh, and the flashback was a good reminder how young Ahsoka was during the war. "Sure, let the 14 year old command troops in battle!" (Though I guess she should have looked 3 years older in the Siege of Mandalore scene :P )
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

The whole "let's bring children to war" aspect of Star Wars (it happens many times) is lowkey terrifying  :lol:

The episode left me a little cold, I have to be said. The recreation of live action Clone Wars was great, but I was expecting more - dramatic wise - from the Anakin/Ahsoka reunion. The "lesson" felt pretty by the numbers.

celedhring

That said, Christensen was more compelling in these few scenes than he was in the entire prequel trilogy. I know he's older and savvier as an actor, but sometimes it's just a matter of having actual writing.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on September 13, 2023, 10:21:22 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 13, 2023, 07:16:09 AMBut this show is being written for the people who are true believers.
Finally, something that is not trying to reinvent everything and is going forward with the story.  After all the bad movies and the so-so Kenobi series, I'm all in on this one, despite some wooden performances here and there. :)

They don't have to reinvent anything.  But if they want to appeal to viewers who lack an encyclopedic knowledge of their lore, they should avoid being entirely self referential.

Oexmelin

Quote from: celedhring on September 14, 2023, 02:33:25 AMThe episode left me a little cold, I have to be said. The recreation of live action Clone Wars was great, but I was expecting more - dramatic wise - from the Anakin/Ahsoka reunion. The "lesson" felt pretty by the numbers.

Same. Some good snippets, but the stakes -of the whole show- seem pretty meh. I thought Ashoka seemed to have more passion, more soul, in her two episodes in the Mandalorian 2 than in the five episodes of her own show so far.

And it's a show that relies intensely not simple on the spectator' prior knowledge, but spectator bringing much of the emotional stakes to the action itself. It's not a really compelling watch so far. I find myself more interested in the vilains, about whom we know nothing. 
Que le grand cric me croque !

Zoupa

Is this show before or after the Mandalorian?

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

viper37

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 14, 2023, 09:21:55 AMI thought Ashoka seemed to have more passion, more soul, in her two episodes in the Mandalorian 2 than in the five episodes of her own show so far.
1 episode in The Mandalorian.

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 14, 2023, 09:21:55 AMAnd it's a show that relies intensely not simple on the spectator' prior knowledge, but spectator bringing much of the emotional stakes to the action itself. It's not a really compelling watch so far. I find myself more interested in the vilains, about whom we know nothing. 

Yes, the villains are interesting.  But wasn't it the case with Star Wars too?  Darth Vader was much more compelling to watch than Luke Skywalker, yet we knew nothing about him.  The Emperor was much more interesting to watch in The Return of the Jedi than the hero.

Senator Palpatine was a more interesting character than Jar Jar Binks, imo. :P

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 14, 2023, 09:19:05 AM
Quote from: viper37 on September 13, 2023, 10:21:22 PM

They don't have to reinvent anything.  But if they want to appeal to viewers who lack an encyclopedic knowledge of their lore, they should avoid being entirely self referential.

Well, I'll just disagree. It's a live-action continuation of Rebels and Clone Wars, and I'm enjoying it that way.

It could be deeper, but I was spoiled by how good Andor was.

Solmyr

Quote from: celedhring on September 14, 2023, 08:16:06 AMThat said, Christensen was more compelling in these few scenes than he was in the entire prequel trilogy. I know he's older and savvier as an actor, but sometimes it's just a matter of having actual writing.

He's definitely been one of the high points of both this show and Kenobi. Also, he's apparently been practicing his signature lightsaber moves for 20 years ever since RotS, hoping to return to his role as Anakin.

I feel like if this is successful enough, there might be a live-action Clone Wars movie in the cards.

celedhring

Quote from: Solmyr on September 16, 2023, 11:59:56 AMI feel like if this is successful enough, there might be a live-action Clone Wars movie in the cards.

There's three of those already  :P