News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings III

Started by Syt, October 19, 2019, 04:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

The best thing about this new interface is the "Issues" notification at the top that shows you things you can do. It's very helpful if you forget that you can go to war with King X or if you're next in line for the Duchy of Y. I can also see how people completely new to CK or Paradox games, and therefore lost as to what to do in general, could be helped along by what the notifier tells them is possible.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Tamas

Once my CK2 muscle memory gave way to actually learning the new UI I had no problem with it. I actually like how the main mapmode is in fact several old mapmodes merged, and you can seemlessly switch between them with zoom and/or a click on a banner.

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 11, 2020, 10:06:27 AM
The best thing about this new interface is the "Issues" notification at the top that shows you things you can do. It's very helpful if you forget that you can go to war with King X or if you're next in line for the Duchy of Y. I can also see how people completely new to CK or Paradox games, and therefore lost as to what to do in general, could be helped along by what the notifier tells them is possible.

Oooooh that is nice.

Though it does remove the surprise 'WTF? I just inherited the Kingdom of Italy? How?' situation.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on September 11, 2020, 10:18:25 AM
Once my CK2 muscle memory gave way to actually learning the new UI I had no problem with it. I actually like how the main mapmode is in fact several old mapmodes merged, and you can seemlessly switch between them with zoom and/or a click on a banner.

Yeah, that is my favourite improvement.

The issues notification is also a handy tool to remind me if I have forgotten about something.

Josephus

Quote from: Valmy on September 11, 2020, 09:25:07 AM
After having played Slitherine games I have a hard time calling Paradox's interface unintuitive.

Also I have played Paradox games for over 20 years so I just kind of know how they work

This. I've been playing Paradox games since 2001. It helps a lot. There's a steep enough curve to begin with, but being used to the basics of P'dox games helps a lot with that. Which is why I find the clock on the bottom right somewhat distracting.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tamas

I am playing with a few mods.

One is made by me, it reduces the diplomatic range to 400. For reference, vanilla Restricted range is 750 default is 1000. A 100 years in to a 876 game, Byzantium have barely left their starting borders and there seem to be far less Nordic shenangians. Sure half of England is Sweden but at least Lapland doesn't own half of France.

Also a mod from Steam that restricts use of seducing.

Another Steam mod that makes the AI 80% less likely to declare war. Still seems to be enough wars going on.

It seems like Dread is pretty OP now, I am not sure if its a factor for the AI or not, but I tend not to use it. Except with my present lunatic asshole of a king who couldn't hold nothing together without it.

Sheilbh

And in fairness half of England was Denmark so that doesn't seem like too big of an issue :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

A bit of fine-tuning would not go amiss, but there were plenty of interesting/unlikely conquests in the period. The Norman Kingdom of Sicily, various Scandinavian warlords running rampant in the British Isles, Outremer itself etc etc

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 11, 2020, 11:38:24 AM
A bit of fine-tuning would not go amiss, but there were plenty of interesting/unlikely conquests in the period. The Norman Kingdom of Sicily, various Scandinavian warlords running rampant in the British Isles, Outremer itself etc etc
Yeah Novgorod, Kievan Rus and Alfred the Great also spring to mind.

My issue is it's just a little bit cluttered at the minute (the banners on the right take up a lot of space if you're on a laptop) and it could do with a little more tooltip optionality rather than them just popping up every time.
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 06, 2020, 07:53:22 PM

Went to the arrange marriage screen, and the first two candidates on the list are Harald Hardrad's daughters. Given the situation and the fact that the war for England is one of the main starting scenarios, you'd think there would be a special event for the situation were an Anglo-Saxon vassal marries one of them. A chance to betray King Harold, or stab you're new father in law in the back.

Just realized you can do this manually. If your ally is at war with your liege you can still join your allies side. A nice new feature that didn't exist in CK2.

So I started over again.  Married Harald's daughter Maria, then hedged my bets and raised my troops and sent them out to aid King Harold's army as loyal vassal without officially joining him in his war. He just kind of flailed around though. We did decently against Harald and won a few victories, but William rampaged in the south and occupied most of the country. As soon as William won his war, I officially joined my father in law's war and after a couple of grinding years we are on the verge of victory. As a plus, my brother died honorably in battle early on, so I completely control the northern half of England now.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josephus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 12, 2020, 03:26:05 AM
Just realized you can do this manually. If your ally is at war with your liege you can still join your allies side. A nice new feature that didn't exist in CK2.
[/quote]

You can? Whenever I try call an ally into war against their liege, I always get a message saying a subject can't be drawn into a war against its liege.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

jimmy olsen

I definitely did it. Maybe the subject has to offer to join, you can't call them in?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

So I'm suffering from what a number of others are reporting in the forums - War contribution when I join an ally for a war is always zero. Even if I was the one doing most of the fighting and sieging. Meaning you get all the expenses of waging war without any of the benfits. <_< It appears it only works for Holy Wars, based on forum comments?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Still on my first game (yes, I am that slow :P ). I worked myself up from Count of Sundgau to Queen of East Francia. The former king actually handed over the throne, because apparently he didn't fancy his chances in a war. :D

He was Aethelweald something something. Scarily, he also held claims on the Kingdoms of West Francia, Aquitaine, and Lotharingia (when it still existed), so I had him and his only heir murdered before they got any ideas.

The Kingdom of Bavaria which bisected my realm recently collapsed, and after a small payment to the pope I got a claim on West Francia which I enforced. Pagan Poland as a neighbor is quite scary, though (they have 14k levies - 20k with allies - versus my 4k, maybe 10k with allies).  :ph34r:

Also, Sweden is taking the Norman conquest a bit far.  :hmm:

England formed but is Norse. Lots of pagans, overall, and some Christian heresies. Quite a mess, religion-wise, actually.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Oh, and I miss the minor titles that you could hand over to vassals for a small opinion boost. We don't even have regents anymore?
—Stephen Jay Gould