News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings III

Started by Syt, October 19, 2019, 04:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

I agree.  I like the fact that outcomes vary and I am not too put out that they can vary a lot.

I tried the playing Alfred three times now.  Each time had very different outcomes in just the first few years even though my strategy was the same.  I only played one of them through - I am on to the third generation in that game.  But put it aside to try the other time period.  I think that will be the one I finish - whenever that happens  :D

Habbaku

The one I'm finishing (maybe tonight) is the Karlings in 1066. I've got a good Emperor on the throne of a rather expansive Francia. There were some difficult times in the early game, especially when a relative took one of my Duchies from me mid-way, but I think things are pretty secure now.

Having 7 MAA regiments at size 12 is EZ mode for wars now and I'm worried about that.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

The thing with megablobs or most blobs really is that it is not the liege conquering but the vassals. And the dynamics of it are a bit messed up IMHO because the vassal cuts into a somebody smaller then they can never even hope to conquering it back because the vassal is protected by the liege against offensive wars. And it is something that just snowballs out of control in a lot of cases. Granted, realms seem slight less stable than in CK2, but still.

I have been trying out a change where most CBs are forbidden if you are not independent. Still leaves claims invasions and the more unique religious stuff like Norse kidnap-raids. So far it seems to be improving the situation but I haven't got far. Also I recon this makes playing as a vassal more boring.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tamas on September 17, 2020, 01:09:58 PM
The thing with megablobs or most blobs really is that it is not the liege conquering but the vassals. And the dynamics of it are a bit messed up IMHO because the vassal cuts into a somebody smaller then they can never even hope to conquering it back because the vassal is protected by the liege against offensive wars. And it is something that just snowballs out of control in a lot of cases. Granted, realms seem slight less stable than in CK2, but still.

I have been trying out a change where most CBs are forbidden if you are not independent. Still leaves claims invasions and the more unique religious stuff like Norse kidnap-raids. So far it seems to be improving the situation but I haven't got far. Also I recon this makes playing as a vassal more boring.
Any way to restrict the CBs so vassals can wage war within the realm, but are banned from doing so outside of it?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Solmyr

HRE in CK games should have really been a game concept/mechanic rather than an on-map entity. It's a bit ridiculous that the Emperor can call on and freely use the entire might of every vassal in every war. Medieval HRE never acted in such a unified manner.

Tamas

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 17, 2020, 10:51:59 PM
Quote from: Tamas on September 17, 2020, 01:09:58 PM

Any way to restrict the CBs so vassals can wage war within the realm, but are banned from doing so outside of it?

No idea. If there's a comprehensive list of scripting triggers I have not found it. I am just going with what I could spot in the files and "is_independent" was quite easy :) There is a separate file to manage groups of CBs where you can set these, and then another file with the actual individual CBs reference for each which group they belong to.

Valmy

Quote from: Solmyr on September 18, 2020, 03:12:57 AM
HRE in CK games should have really been a game concept/mechanic rather than an on-map entity. It's a bit ridiculous that the Emperor can call on and freely use the entire might of every vassal in every war. Medieval HRE never acted in such a unified manner.

Well France wasn't that different in this respect in that era.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

During the 867-1066 period, the HRE expanded considerably, so offensive power in that timeframe is not too unrealistic.

From 1066-1453, it was mostly stable with some expansion in the East. So the issue from 1066 onwards is not so much the defensive behaviour, but rather that the Kaiser can call all his realm levies for offensive operations. Plus the vassals expanding topic. Areas outside the HRE should not be protected even if the holder is an HRE member. Maybe some mechanism related to the de jure empire to nerf the HRE. That would also destabilize Italy. The Kaiser defends his vassals, but only their HRE de jure territory...

Zanza

In general having just a few de jure empires, each with its own mechanics, would be great. The HRE and ERE were not just larger kingdoms.

Tamas

I see now that the old CK2 problem with money is still there, you just need to be slightly larger than there before it happens: namely that past a certain realm size it feels really pointless to worry about building province improvements. What you need is a big enough reserve of gold at any time to hire enough mercs to take care of your problems.

Would be great if your income did not snowball that much with your size.

Although I guess in my current game as 1066 Apulia -> Naples the problem was magnified by the totally OP decision of forming some sort of a parliament as "the romans did" or some other sort of nonsense. All it does is change your capital and tag and oh, catapult you to absolute crown authority, in my case from medium. That's a lot of extra income and troops. Sure, the vassals absolutely hate it, but for two generations now the modus operandi is to succumb to the early Liberty faction that gathers up most of the realm when the new king takes over, because High is also a pretty sweet CA to have, then just hike it back up to absolute once it feels safe.

Josephus

Quote from: Zanza on September 19, 2020, 10:08:36 AM
During the 867-1066 period, the HRE expanded considerably, so offensive power in that timeframe is not too unrealistic.

From 1066-1453, it was mostly stable with some expansion in the East. So the issue from 1066 onwards is not so much the defensive behaviour, but rather that the Kaiser can call all his realm levies for offensive operations. Plus the vassals expanding topic. Areas outside the HRE should not be protected even if the holder is an HRE member. Maybe some mechanism related to the de jure empire to nerf the HRE. That would also destabilize Italy. The Kaiser defends his vassals, but only their HRE de jure territory...

FWIW, in the same game, by 1300 the HRE collapsed and is now around 4 counties in Germany. It's now border gore deluxe. France, especially.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Zanza

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

HVC

Way too many heretics and religious uprisings
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.