MS flight Simulator and the future of map building

Started by Iormlund, October 01, 2019, 02:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

He shouldn't be flying that close to it anyway.  That is verboten  :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Syt on August 18, 2020, 11:52:12 AM
Btw, RPS has a list of the 340 or so cities that use photgrammetry for extra realism:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/08/18/all-341-photorealistic-cities-in-microsoft-flight-simulator-2020/

Yeah I have some friends from Dallas who are fairly salty about this:

QuoteAmarillo
Austin
Brownsville
Corpus Christi
El Paso
Fort Worth
Galveston
Houston
Kingwood
Laredo
Longview
Lubbock
McAllen
Midland
San Antonio
The Woodlands

:D 

Valmy

So much for dream of crashing into that big red pegasus sign. :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

The important thing is that Oxnard is there in its fully Jaronesque glory.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 18, 2020, 12:02:29 PM
Yeah I have some friends from Dallas who are fairly salty about this:

Ok but compared to the UK they need to get on the complaint queue

United Kingdom:
Portsmouth
Southampton

Is this a flight sim or a fleet sim?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

Tamas

Ok I am hitting more lagging with High settings than I am happy with. Must customise graphics settings. :(

Caliga

Does it have the same theme song as that last MS Flight Simulator (FSX I guess it was?)  I liked that song. :)

Tamas

Quote from: Caliga on August 18, 2020, 12:42:21 PM
Does it have the same theme song as that last MS Flight Simulator (FSX I guess it was?)  I liked that song. :)

It has a pleasant but about 20 seconds long menu music looping.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Caliga on August 18, 2020, 12:42:21 PM

There are three different theme songs you can choose from: Color 1, Color 2, and Legacy, which is probably what you're looking for.  I haven't played any of the other ones in so long that I can't remember if it's from FSX or something even older though.

E:  Heh.  I can see my parking spot at work.  It isn't numbered, but the lines are there.

Syt

So, I've given this a spin. It runs quite smoothly on Ultra on my old (coming on 4 years) GTX1080 with 8GB (at least in nice weather :P ) in 1080p.

My first little spin was in the area where I grew up. From a few hundred feet up it looked very convincing, and pausing over areas I grew up I could easily recognize streets and major buildings. The illusion was quite convincing. Obviously, once you go down and realize the town church is now a block of flats it breaks down a bit. :P Still, very impressed. The whole rural landscape looked very nice, with the fields and occasional small village or farm, with cities dotted in between. I'm kind of keen on checking out Kiel and Hamburg as they're supposed to be using better real life data according to the list I linked.

My flight over Vienna was less amazing. It gets the layout and shape of buildings and terrain, also very often the height, but pretty much no landmark looked like it should, with the few areas of high rises being especially noticeable, not to mention parliament, Imperial palace, Schönbrunn Castle, the museums etc.

A few comparison shots vs Google maps. Wewelsfleth and Glückstadt are small towns near/on the Elbe river. The Vienna shot had me confused at first, because the big read complex looked weird from afar, but coming closer I realized it's the Karl Marx public housing complex.

—Stephen Jay Gould

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Caliga

I wonder if they even have teeny little Pacific atolls in the game.  I'd like to land on an exposed reef on some random island. :)