MS flight Simulator and the future of map building

Started by Iormlund, October 01, 2019, 02:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Syt

After seeing the London underwater bridges I was surprised that the Danube bridges in Vienna were all fine :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

Change of plans: before I bother upgrading my vid card or system in general, I'm getting better flight controls.  Playing with the keyboard and mouse SUCKS. :mad:

The problem is, predictably, all of the PC yokes are sold out now. :cry:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

:face:

You should have said something on Tuesday. I had 2, bought by mistake, returned 1.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

FunkMonk

If you have a spare controller it could work well. I plugged in a USB Xbox controller and it works fine after I adjusted the axis sensitivities.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Caliga

Quote from: FunkMonk on August 21, 2020, 11:23:40 AM
If you have a spare controller it could work well. I plugged in a USB Xbox controller and it works fine after I adjusted the axis sensitivities.
No, not realistic enough. :sleep:

Tonitrus

I might get this...but I leaning towards holding out for the VR support, and take my first dip into that pool. 

Grey Fox

Caliga

Ah, that's ok, I don't want one of those.  I want a yoke set, not a joystick.

Grey Fox

Don't forget pedals if you get a yoke. No Rudder control on Yokes.

Caliga

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 21, 2020, 03:02:54 PM
Don't forget pedals if you get a yoke. No Rudder control on Yokes.
Yeah I know, I was actually just reading about that.

MadBurgerMaker

The Hump at 10,000ft  :ph34r:

Followed that river up ahead and barely scraped over a mountain, then turned right again to get going back in the right direction.  Will probably go right through that "V" and see whats on the other side of that little mountain.  Also, ice.

Yeah...

Cleared that with dude yelling "500" at me and damn near stalling at full power.  A C-47 would have just slammed into it.  I had dive down the other side to keep the speed up.

Anyhow, if I make it and end up taking more screenshots, I'll link the imgur album. 

Okay one more.  I think I found a way through in the correct direction there on the far right:

Nope, didn't make it that time.  Took a turn into the wrong valley and couldn't climb out of it.  That shit is pretty cool to fly in though.  Probably not so much when it's real and it's like 1943 and everything sucks.  Crashed in the vicinity of ZPLJ (Sanyi).  The route is VECA (Chabua) to ZPPP (Kunming).

Last one I took was just before I picked a valley:

The warning light is the prop RPMs being maxed out and the throttle being firewalled, but torque isn't all the way up as you can see. 

Caliga

Hey there's some friends feature that I just noticed.  Want to friend each other? :)

Syt

So, has anyone tried to fly a Cessna from Germany via Iceland and land in Red Square yet? :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathias_Rust

Quotehttp://rust, aged 18, was an inexperienced pilot, with about 50 hours of flying experience at the time of his flight. On 13 May 1987, Rust left Uetersen near Hamburg and his home town Wedel in his rented Reims Cessna F172P D-ECJB, which was modified by removing some of the seats and replacing them with auxiliary fuel tanks. He spent the next two weeks travelling across northern Europe, visiting the Faroe islands, spending a week in Iceland, and then visiting Bergen on his way back. He was later quoted as saying that he had the idea of attempting to reach Moscow even before the departure, and he saw the trip to Iceland (where he visited Hofdi House, the site of unsuccessful talks between the United States and the Soviet Union in October 1986) as a way to test his piloting skills.[1]

On 28 May 1987, Rust refuelled at Helsinki-Malmi Airport. He told air traffic control that he was going to Stockholm, and took off at 12:21. Immediately after his final communication with traffic control, he turned his plane to the east near Nummela. Air traffic controllers tried to contact him as he was moving around the busy Helsinki–Moscow route, but Rust turned off all his communications equipment.[1][3]

Rust disappeared from the Finnish air traffic radar near Espoo.[1] Control personnel presumed an emergency and a rescue effort was organized, including a Finnish Border Guard patrol boat. They found an oil patch near Sipoo where Rust had disappeared from radar observation, and conducted an underwater search but did not find anything.

Rust crossed the Baltic coastline over Estonia and turned towards Moscow. At 14:29 he appeared on Soviet Air Defence Forces (PVO) radar and, after failure to reply to an IFF signal, was assigned combat number 8255. Three SAM battalions of 54th Air Defence Corps tracked him for some time, but failed to obtain permission to launch missiles at him.[4] All air defences were brought to readiness and two interceptors were sent to investigate. At 14:48, near Gdov, MiG-23 pilot Senior Lieutenant A. Puchnin observed a white sport plane similar to a Yakovlev Yak-12 and asked for permission to engage, but was denied.[1][5]

The fighters lost contact with Rust soon after this. While they were being directed back to him, he disappeared from radar near Staraya Russa. West German magazine Bunte speculated that he might have landed there for some time, noting that he changed his clothes during his flight and that he took too much time to fly to Moscow considering his plane's speed and the weather conditions.

Air defence re-established contact with Rust's plane several times but confusion followed all of these events. The PVO system had shortly before been divided into several districts, which simplified management but created additional overhead for tracking officers at the districts' borders. The local air regiment near Pskov was on maneuvers and, due to inexperienced pilots' tendency to forget correct IFF designator settings, local control officers assigned all traffic in the area friendly status, including Rust.[1]

Near Torzhok there was a similar situation, as increased air traffic was created by a rescue effort for an air crash the previous day. Rust, flying a slow propeller-driven aircraft, was confused with one of the helicopters taking part in the rescue. He was spotted several more times and given false friendly recognition twice. Rust was considered as a domestic training plane defying regulations, and was assigned the least priority by air defense.[1]

Around 19:00, Rust appeared above Moscow. He had initially intended to land in the Kremlin, but he reasoned that landing inside, hidden by the Kremlin walls, would have allowed the KGB to arrest him and deny the incident. Therefore, he changed his landing spot to Red Square.[1] Heavy pedestrian traffic did not allow him to land there either, so after circling about the square one more time, he was able to land on Bolshoy Moskvoretsky Bridge by St. Basil's Cathedral. A later inquiry found that trolleybus wires normally strung over the bridge—which would have prevented his landing there—had been removed for maintenance that morning, and were replaced the next day.[1] After taxiing past the cathedral, he stopped about 100 metres (330 ft) from the square, where he was greeted by curious passersby and asked for autographs. When asked where he was from, he replied "Germany" making the bystanders think he was from East Germany; but when he said West Germany, they were surprised.[6] A British doctor videotaped Rust circling over Red Square and landing on the bridge.[6] Rust was arrested two hours later.[7]

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.