MS flight Simulator and the future of map building

Started by Iormlund, October 01, 2019, 02:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I always liked taking small planes on a long distance journey via small towns/airports for sightseeing purposes (and listening to audio books :P ).

Currently thinking of flying along the Mediterranean coast line, or follow the Nile south and on to the Cape. Or maybe a South American trek down the Andes, and up Patagonia and the Amazon rainforest into the Carribean.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadBurgerMaker

This guy has a cool idea:  https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1V5K4gS-16ZePTfHg9c5BUC4JzLzxcAFn&shorturl=1&ll=55.31509409667371%2C-58.70572085455868&z=5

I'm doing a hybrid version of that, at least until I get bored and go somewhere else, in the XCub instead of the 172.  VORing around in Canada at the moment on my way to some place called Roberval.  Get some gas there, then fly up to Iqaluit before the hop to Greenland.  I like the avionics in the XCub.  That Youtube dude Trent Palmer has this in his Kitfox. 

Tamas

Syt

That seems a bit excessive :D

Oh, flying along small airports in Russia and Inner Asia could also be cool.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Caliga

I couldn't control myself so I bought it last night (via Microsoft Store).  I was surprised at how fast it downloaded and installed... I was watching the Democratic Convention and figured I wouldn't get to check it out till morning, but right after Jill Biden's speech I went into my office to check my PC and it was done. :showoff:

So... um... wow.  Yeah, I am going to upgrade my video card, but with my current hardware it actually runs pretty well on fairly high gfx settings.

I flew a Cessna Skyhawk from Muhammad Ali/Lou International to Bowman Field, a small civil aviation field close to my house.  Louisville, even at night, was instantly and immediately recognizable.  I clearly could make out Kaden Tower, which is a local architectural landmark right by Bowman Field, and it looked pretty much exactly like I would expect it to IRL at about 1,500 feet.  I circled around for the approach to Bowman and also was amazed to easily recognize a building I used to work in.

Hadn't played a flightsim for years, was only using keyboard and mouse, and didn't bother to learn which keys were mapped to rudders and flaps... so my landing wasn't exactly the best, but I managed to not kill myself and the plane wasn't destroyed on impact. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Maladict

garbon

Seems like an odd thing to roll one's eyes at.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

PDH

And they forgot Laramie, Wyoming.

Way to go, Microsoft, forgetting Meth War Memorial Stadium  :rolleyes:
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Caliga

I fucked around with it some more at lunch.  I've been flying in real world conditions and it's daytime here and clear skies, so I could really see the scenery this time.  I flew again from Louisville International to Bowman, drove around the tarmac for a little bit trying to find the automated taxi guidance, failed to do so, then took off and attempted to buzz my house.  I didn't quite see it but I definitely flew over my subdivision, and could clearly make out the Kroger down the street (even saw the 'Kroger' logo on it).  Then I crossed the Ohio and landed at Clark Regional Airport in Indiana, all the while ignoring and actively disobeying ATC. :)

Zanza

Stuttgart airport is apparently not in the game, just trees there. Probably because it doubles as a US military airfield.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

MadBurgerMaker

There's a hurricane off the coast of Mexico if any of you want to fly a 152 into it.

E:  The west coast of Mexico, that is.

Caliga

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 19, 2020, 12:21:09 PM
I have no time to playyyyy. :(
I don't have a whole lot either, right now.... too much work.  It's only due to the remote working stuff that I could mess around with it at lunch on my gaming PC.

Syt

Some amusing glitches: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/08/19/microsoft-flight-simulators-terrain-glitches-are-excellent-places-to-visit/

Tbf, a lot of them are only noticeable from up close, and I expect them to fine tune the AI over the next weeks/months.
—Stephen Jay Gould