News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football 2019

Started by PDH, August 25, 2019, 07:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Iowa--Michigan was not exactly a continuous highlight reel.

dps

I was just having a bit of a strange thought.  During his coaching career, Woody Hayes was also a professor at Ohio State, and continued to teach there even after being fired as a coach.  Is there any FBS head football coach or Division I head basketball coach now that actually teaches classes?

jimmy olsen

California passes law requiring colleges to allow their student athletes to profit off their likeness if they are able to.

https://www.si.com/college/2019/10/04/ncaa-fair-pay-to-play-act-name-likeness-image-laws
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Law doesn't really change anything;  anyone in the country can legally profit off of their image and likeness if they can find someone willing to pay for it.  The trick is, you can't do it and retain NCAA eligibility.

Of course, it's not that simple.  Overall, I'm fine with putting pressure on the NCAA to change its rules when it come to what they're calling NIL.  OTOH, I'm opposed to paying college athletes, as required by the proposed bill in New York.

grumbler

Yeah, the California law is classic legislative grandstanding; it requires California colleges to do what they already do.  No athlete is required to accept a scholarship and abide by NCAA rules, it is entirely voluntary.

The NCAA's problem with bag men won't be solved by legalizing bag men.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Well, Washington kind of blew it there.

Maybe this game isn't quite the auto-L for the Cats I was thinking it was...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

katmai

Quote from: Berkut on October 06, 2019, 03:33:19 PM
Well, Washington kind of blew it there.

Maybe this game isn't quite the auto-L for the Cats I was thinking it was...

Hah yes, yes they did. The uproar amongst Huskies fans is why they haven't been playing some highly touted Freshman and RSFreshman receivers over the wideouts who have been playing.  Stanford has always been a tough game for Huskies as evidenced by last win in Palo Alto was in 2007. 
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 05, 2019, 10:50:44 PM
Iowa--Michigan was not exactly a continuous highlight reel.

I believe that I mentioned that as soon as Iowa hits the tough games, they are going to crumble like feta cheese.

Next week will be just as big of a treat, I'm sure.  <_<
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

PDH

Wyoming rolled through the bye week, losing only two players - one to that horrible injury "personal issues" the other kicked off the team.  At least there were no basketball injuries, skateboard falls, or being hit by a bison.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

I just want to say Oklahoma is terrible and a blight upon civilization. It sucks more than any land has sucked before. May Oklahoma only know suffering and pain next Saturday.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Such harsh words for the motherland.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 07, 2019, 12:54:38 PM
Such harsh words for the motherland.

This week we are enemies -_-

By the way I would like to apologize for Florida for thinking they were over-rated trash. It was clearly Auburn that was over-rated trash :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on October 07, 2019, 12:36:15 PM
I just want to say Oklahoma is terrible and a blight upon civilization. It sucks more than any land has sucked before.

... which is why it was given to the natives? :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on October 07, 2019, 02:07:06 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 07, 2019, 12:36:15 PM
I just want to say Oklahoma is terrible and a blight upon civilization. It sucks more than any land has sucked before.

... which is why it was given to the natives? :unsure:

Oh no, it was fine then. But then we flooded it with people who turned into the world's biggest meth lab/trailer park.  :mad:

Anyway my statements here are only with regards to the annual Texas-Oklahoma hatefest that ends with the game on Saturday. Actual reasons to hate Oklahoma are not applicable here, this is entirely petty and shallow hatred.

Eddie Teach

Disagree. Woodland > prairie.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?