News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US mass shootings megathread

Started by merithyn, July 29, 2019, 12:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: dps on August 09, 2019, 06:52:15 AM
Is it daft to call Toyota a Japanese company because they build cars in North America

Well it is not exactly the same. Toyota built those factories, they are not paying an American car company to stick a Toyota sticker on their cars.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 09, 2019, 09:05:18 AM
Who are the people next to first couple and orphan baby?

Relatives of the killed (adoptive) parents, it seems. The boy was released a few days earlier, but was brought back to the hospital for the photo op.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: dps on August 09, 2019, 06:52:15 AM
Is it daft to call Toyota a Japanese company because they build cars in North America

A better analogy would be calling Jaguar Indian.
Yes, they're ultimately owned by Tata.
But this has very little impact on the day to day of the company or their overall Britishness?
And even that is stretching it in many of the cases where the game was only published by Sony and developed by an independent studio.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on August 09, 2019, 06:27:09 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 08, 2019, 01:58:13 PM
Quote from: Tyr on August 08, 2019, 01:02:00 PM
3/10?
Looks good taken in isolation.
But when you consider that in generations past this would have been 8 or 9 out of 10 and the 3 they do have are merely the latest in long running franchises....

As I said I'm saying nothing radical here. This is all well discussed territory with it being the "no it isn't. Actually..." side that is the opposing viewpoint these days.

https://www.theverge.com/2014/3/20/5522320/final-fight-can-japans-gaming-industry-be-saved

This is 8 in ten.  Eight of the developers are Japanese or owned by a Japanese company.

Sony may be a Japanese headquartered company but come on. Its an international company and the games were very much developed outside of Japan. Its daft to call them Japanese. Very few Japanese people have been employed in the games industry due to these games.

It is your opinion that a wholly owned subsidiary is fundamentally different than the parent company when the subsidiary and parent company are located in different countries?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on August 09, 2019, 11:54:20 AM

It is your opinion that a wholly owned subsidiary is fundamentally different than the parent company when the subsidiary and parent company are located in different countries?

Even within the same country its possible for a subsidiary to be very different to its parent and effectively operate as its own company with a totally different culture.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on August 09, 2019, 11:58:27 AM

Even within the same country its possible for a subsidiary to be very different to its parent and effectively operate as its own company with a totally different culture.

So an American car company building a factory in Britain produces British cars?  What happens when the various components are made in different countries?  How does that affect the nationality of the product?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on August 09, 2019, 12:02:48 PM

So an American car company building a factory in Britain produces British cars?  What happens when the various components are made in different countries?  How does that affect the nationality of the product?

Well let me ask you this question: if the USA had lots of car companies making cars in other countries and zero cars (or parts or components or anything) were actually being made in the USA then would we have a vibrant car industry even though we are actually making no cars?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on August 09, 2019, 01:55:43 AM
I'm sure this little one will cherish this picture when he grows up, commemorating getting to meet the pres because his parents were killed.

I don't understand how you take a picture with an orphaned baby by smiling and doing a thumbsup, I mean unless you are taking a picture commemorating you signing the adoption papers.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on August 09, 2019, 12:37:39 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 09, 2019, 12:02:48 PM

Well let me ask you this question: if the USA had lots of car companies making cars in other countries and zero cars (or parts or components or anything) were actually being made in the USA then would we have a vibrant car industry even though we are actually making no cars?

Yeah, I guess you could call it a "vibrant".  I certainly wouldn't call it dead.  I took a look at the best selling games on Switch.  All of the top 10 are developed in Japan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Nintendo_Switch_video_games

mongers

Missouri Walmart panic caused by armed man testing gun rights

10 August 2019 

A man who sparked panic by walking into a Walmart with a rifle and body armour told police he was testing his right to bear arms in public.

Dmitriy Andreychenko entered the shop heavily armed, days after a mass shooting at another of Walmart's stores.

"I wanted to know if that Walmart honoured the second amendment," the 20-year-old told police after his arrest.

Prosecutors have charged him with making a terrorist threat.

If found guilty, the charge could result in a four-year prison sentence and a fine of $10,000 (£8,300), Greene County prosecutor Dan Patterson said in a statement.

On 8 August, Mr Andreychenko entered the store "armed with an AR style rifle slung across his chest", police said, wearing a ballistic vest and recording himself. Both the rifle and a handgun he carried were loaded.

He told police he did not expect the reaction his walk generated.

"This is Missouri, I understand if we were somewhere else like New York or California, people would freak out," he said, according to police filings.

Days before, 20 people had been killed in a Walmart in El Paso by a gunman carrying an automatic rifle.

The police statement also revealed that his wife, Angelice, had told him "it was not a smart idea".

"She told him that people were going to take this seriously due to recent events... she told him he was just an immature boy," it said.
'''''''
Mr Andreychenko told police he only intended to buy some grocery bags and check if anyone tried to stop him.

The store manager "believed Andreychenko came to the store to shoot people", the police statement said, and triggered the fire alarm to evacuate customers.

Mr Andreychenko was held at gunpoint by an off-duty fire fighter, who was legally carrying his own weapon, until police arrested him.

I wonder if he'd been shot, whether trump would have tweeted in his 'defence'?

Full article here:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49303879
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

Quote from: mongers on August 10, 2019, 08:58:38 AM

He told police he did not expect the reaction his walk generated.

"Blyat".
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

People who open carry are assholes and it's never surprising to find another one that doesn't think about how people perceive him.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

mongers

Quote from: Berkut on August 10, 2019, 09:00:05 AM
His wife sounds smart.

She smartened up a lot after the marriage, I guess she's a fast leaner.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Quote from: Habbaku on August 10, 2019, 09:04:31 AM
People who open carry are assholes and it's never surprising to find another one that doesn't think about how people perceive him.
I remember watching a video a couple of years ago with some moron who open-carried an assault rifle inside an airport.  Obviously the intention was to draw attention and highlight how he was completely within his legal rights (which he was, thanks to moron lawmakers).  I wonder if there are legal but asshole things that can be done to these morons to respond to the legal but asshole acts like walking around with a rifle in crowded places.