News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US mass shootings megathread

Started by merithyn, July 29, 2019, 12:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on August 08, 2019, 10:08:47 AM
Which part is strange?

"The Japanese video game industry died years ago"  Two of the three major consoles are from Japanese companies.  I'd say they are pretty well represented.  There isn't really a big Japanese footprint in the PC market, but there never has been.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

NEC was a player was significant player in PCs for a while, into the 90s.  IIRC they went for their own processor architecture rather than x86 which ultimately doomed them.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on August 08, 2019, 10:37:54 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 08, 2019, 10:08:47 AM
Which part is strange?

"The Japanese video game industry died years ago"  Two of the three major consoles are from Japanese companies.  I'd say they are pretty well represented.  There isn't really a big Japanese footprint in the PC market, but there never has been.

Ah yeah. I did think that was a weird thing to say but I admit I am not really a Japanese game kind of player....at least not since the original NES.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Two of the three consoles remain Japanese.
But just think about the top games on these consoles. Think about the majority of games out there these days.

I'm saying nothing weird here. The massive decline of the Japanese games industry has been well observed for years. Even moreso than in the west, in Japan things have massively shifted to mobile games.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Top games on the Switch are, guess what, Japanese, be them first or second party. Thanks to Nintendo.  :P
Sony though has more third parties while Sega is out of the console market since the Dreamcast.

But yes, the Japanese videogame industry is far from its heyday.

Razgovory

I don't really do mobile games, but they take up the lion's share of the market.  I decided to look up who makes the top selling for PlayStation.

Uncharted 4 -Naughty Dog.  American developer owned by Sony.

God Of War - SIE Santa Monica.  American company owned by Sony

Horrison zero dawn.  Guerrilla Games Dutch developer owned by Sony

Last of US.  Naughty Dog.  American developer owned by Sony

Marvel's Spider Man  Insomianc games American developer owned by Sony.

Grand Turismo sport Polyphonal Digital Japense developer owned by Sony

Witcher 3- CDproject Red- Polish developer and publisher

Monster Hunter World Capcom  Japanese developer and publisher

Persona 5 P-studio Japanese developer owned by Sega

Crash Bandikoot Vicarious Visions American developer owned by Activision

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PlayStation_4_video_games

I'd say the Japanese are doing pretty good.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Josquius

3/10?
Looks good taken in isolation.
But when you consider that in generations past this would have been 8 or 9 out of 10 and the 3 they do have are merely the latest in long running franchises....

As I said I'm saying nothing radical here. This is all well discussed territory with it being the "no it isn't. Actually..." side that is the opposing viewpoint these days.

https://www.theverge.com/2014/3/20/5522320/final-fight-can-japans-gaming-industry-be-saved
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on August 08, 2019, 01:02:00 PM
3/10?
But when you consider that in generations past this would have been 8 or 9 out of 10 and the 3 they do have are merely the latest in long running franchises....

As I said I'm saying nothing radical here. This is all well discussed territory with it being the "no it isn't. Actually..." side that is the opposing viewpoint these days.

https://www.theverge.com/2014/3/20/5522320/final-fight-can-japans-gaming-industry-be-saved

This is 8 in ten.  Eight of the developers are Japanese or owned by a Japanese company.

Syt

Trump giving comfort to survivors of the shootings and hospital staff.

I'm sure this little one will cherish this picture when he grows up, commemorating getting to meet the pres because his parents were killed.

Here's him bragging to emergency working at the hospital about his rally crowds compared to Beto O'Rourke's:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJhrQ9ghwo8
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on August 08, 2019, 01:58:13 PM
Quote from: Tyr on August 08, 2019, 01:02:00 PM
3/10?

This is 8 in ten.  Eight of the developers are Japanese or owned by a Japanese company.

Sony may be a Japanese headquartered company but come on. Its an international company and the games were very much developed outside of Japan. Its daft to call them Japanese. Very few Japanese people have been employed in the games industry due to these games.
██████
██████
██████

dps

Is it daft to call Toyota a Japanese company because they build cars in North America

Grey Fox

Anyway, that is a false equivalency. Size of the Market refers to the buying of games by the public, not how many games are made in the country.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

Who are the people next to first couple and orphan baby?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?