Austrian conservative-far right coalition over after scandal tape leaked

Started by Syt, May 17, 2019, 01:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

So Gudenus has issued a statement for the first time since he resigned. He apologizes again for the contents of the video. He also said that there might be more videos, and that at the time he was under stress, overworked, close to a burnout, and suffered from personal problems. Also: energy drinks, alcohol, psychotropic substances. In short: there's a few hours he can't remember.

The German journalists who received the material say they're still investigating leads from the videos, but that they don't expect to release more. They refuse to release the whole recording - there's seven hours of footage, but they released less than 10 minutes (plus details in their articles). According to them they published the politically relevant parts and don't want to release anything personal that's not pertinent to this.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Larch

Syt

Quote from: HVC on May 21, 2019, 12:08:13 PM
personal? He slept with a hooker.

His wife was there (looking immensely bored). Doesn't mean it didn't happen, though. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

HVC

Quote from: Syt on May 21, 2019, 12:21:08 PM
Quote from: HVC on May 21, 2019, 12:08:13 PM
personal? He slept with a hooker.

His wife was there (looking immensely bored). Doesn't mean it didn't happen, though. :P

7 hours is a lot of footage. maybe he sent to the wife to pick up food :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Syt

Food was catered. :P

A tabloid is running a contest where you can win flight to Ibiza and two nights in the villa where the video was recorded. (It's roughly 1,000 per night on Airbnb, I think.) :lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

HVC

lol as much as I hate tabloids I kind of love em too. well at least the euro ones. so petty.

Syt

As said, the opposition asked for a special session of parliament for today to address questions to the chancellor about the crisis.

The speaker of parliament (who is in the chancellor's party) said yesterday that the session will be on Monday, as on Sunday there's the EU elections, and there's currently nothing to discuss re: EU.  :rolleyes:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Austrian PM is kicked out thanks to the far-right voting with the leftist opposition.

Petty much?

Syt

Yep. At the same time, Kurz has mostly been holding election speeches since the crisis started, put himself into the victim role ("I've endured so much to make this coalition work!"), and never once acknowledged that entering a coalition with the FPÖ despite many, many warnings (including from within his own party) may have been a mistake. Doesn't help that apparently he was willing to continue the coalition, provided the interior minister would vacate the post (which was the FPÖ's red line).

Instead of acting like a statesman he acted like a CEO that tries to preserve his post while attempting to keep the stock price stable.

P.S.: There's probably also many people in parliament that weren't happy with his legislative style - normally a law is submitted for review to the various committees before going for a vote in parliament. He often used an emergency rule that allowed him to bypass this process and just putting up a law for vote that hardly anyone outside the ministries (and - to be honest - the chamber of commerce and the industrialist's association) who drafted it had seen.

Little known fact: Sebastian Kurz is said to be one of the best Candy Crush players ... he's hardly ever in parliament, but when he is he spends most of his time on his smart phone. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Kurz is the first Austrian post-war chancellor who lost a vote of no confidence.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

President has spoken to the people. He will dismiss the government tomorrow morning. He's preparing a new chancellor/cabinet for the next few days. In the meantime the current ministers (minus Kurz) will continue to run their ministries for a few days, and the vice chancellor will be the chancellor for a few days it looks like.

The president said that he will ensure that the government will have support of the majority of the parliament (something that Kurz very pointedly didn't do when he replaced the FPÖ ministers).

It will be an interesting time till elections in September.

Kurz is the chancellor with the shortest period in office since the end of the war. Also, Kurz has ended two coalitions in two years.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on May 27, 2019, 02:45:35 PM

Kurz is the chancellor with the shortest period in office since the end of the war. Also, Kurz has ended two coalitions in two years.

True to his name, what's the problem?  :P

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on May 27, 2019, 10:23:07 AM

P.S.: There's probably also many people in parliament that weren't happy with his legislative style - normally a law is submitted for review to the various committees before going for a vote in parliament. He often used an emergency rule that allowed him to bypass this process and just putting up a law for vote that hardly anyone outside the ministries (and - to be honest - the chamber of commerce and the industrialist's association) who drafted it had seen.

Nothing outlandish, Macron used some comparable tricks to speed up the legislative process.

https://www.marianne.net/politique/reforme-du-code-du-travail-de-macron-que-signifie-legiferer-par-ordonnances