Austrian conservative-far right coalition over after scandal tape leaked

Started by Syt, May 17, 2019, 01:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Actually, FPÖ in Vienna might take a while to recover from this. :P Gudenus was their official main candidate for the mayor seat, with Strache carrying the campaigns. Their newly appointed head is Veronika Matiasek where probably even many FPÖ voters will ask, "Who??"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on May 18, 2019, 07:48:12 AM
Actually, FPÖ in Vienna might take a while to recover from this. :P Gudenus was their official main candidate for the mayor seat, with Strache carrying the campaigns. Their newly appointed head is Veronika Matiasek where probably even many FPÖ voters will ask, "Who??"

So do you expect their fans to actually care about this? The Trump and Orban fans would totally ignore such a news about their respective leaderships, of that I am 100% certain.

Syt

Their hardcore fans? No. But there's probably 5-10% that could defect in the wake of this.

Another issue the FPÖ struggles with is that they don't have much in terms of leadership material. They had Haider in the past, now Strache. Strache and FPÖ was pretty much the same. Gudenus was his closest ally, also gone. That leaves Kickl, the minister of interior who's too dumb to lead well (one of the first thing he did was the bungled raid on the domestic intelligence service which caused Austria to be frozen out of the European cooperation in that refard).

Hofer, the presidential candidate is the only main player left on the national stage. And even he is facing more scrutiny. E.g. his favorite painter, an artist with far right tendency and rhetoric, and a holocaust denier has been rejected for a cultural advisory board in one of the states.

Further, the Kronen Zeitung is incredibly influential; in terms of reach of population they have one of the biggest quotas in Europe. They can make and break politicians. After this affair where they were treated like a pawn by Strache, it's likely they will run a heavy campaign against the FPÖ and dish all the dirt they can find. It will be like in 2002/2005 when the FPÖ blew up federal governments and lost heavily in following elections ... probably worse.

The resistance against FPÖ's "isolated cases" of far right escapades and connections was rising over recent weeks and months and is now reaching fever pitch.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Also, Chancellor Kurz was to give a statement at 2 pm; over an hour later no sign of him. His reluctance to comment on things in general has earned him the title "Schweigekanzler" or Silent Chancellor, which was also Word of the Year 2018 in Austria.

Over 5000 people (number going up) have spontaneously assembled in front of the Chancellor's office, demanding his resignation and new elections.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Solmyr

Quote from: Tamas on May 18, 2019, 07:47:40 AM
"shockingly" pro-government Hungarian media hasn't even mentioned this ever happening, yet.

All the Hungarian government members probably star in the same kind of videos, too.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

A press conference by the chancellor has now been scheduled for 7:45 pm.  :rolleyes:

According to rumors, Kurz offers to continue the coalition, if interior minister Kickl also resigns. Kickl rejects vehemently. But that's just hearsay.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Personally, since the social democrats have been rather quiet today, and their chairwoman has said she will make an announcement after the chancellor, I wouldn't be overly surprised if they're currently hammering out a new coalition ÖVP/SPÖ.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

The Austria subreddit has changed its header banner to an image of a yacht harbor in Ibiza :D
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Tamas

Quote from: Solmyr on May 18, 2019, 09:00:33 AM
Quote from: Tamas on May 18, 2019, 07:47:40 AM
"shockingly" pro-government Hungarian media hasn't even mentioned this ever happening, yet.

All the Hungarian government members probably star in the same kind of videos, too.

I am fairly certain, yes, but those were made by genuine Russians, as insurance policy.

Syt

From German satirical party Die Partei:

"Who defeats the Right in Austria:

Alcohol 2 - The Left 0

Alcohol - destroys right wing careers since 2008."

:XD:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

While I'm killing time till the press conference ... :P

The optics for Kurz are really not good. The German news sites contacted Strache, Gudenus, and him about this for comment before releasing their articles. Strache and Gudenus tried some (useless) damage control. The chancellor hasn't said anything in the 48 hours since he knew of the video.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

The 3 beer is a reference to an old photo where Strache said he wasn't doing a salute popular among neonazis, but was ordering 3 beer.

—Stephen Jay Gould