No, wait until he's out of office and then indict him
No, he's done nothing worthy of impeachment
Hell if I know

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2019, 05:11:02 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 03, 2019, 05:09:23 PM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on May 03, 2019, 04:49:01 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 03, 2019, 04:27:09 PM
Are you saying Trump will rig the election in his favor? Easier said than done.
Nothing has been done to curb Russian or Chinese interference in our elections.  After the Muller Report and the narrative being put forth by the media in general and the right in particular, Russia and Trump were "cleared".  If anything, it will be easier in 2020 than it was in 2016.  Working with foreign agents is perfectly fine amongst other developments it seems.

They can spread all the propaganda they want, if we fall for it, that's on us.

The consequences go a little wider in the world than just you.

That's beside the point.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 03, 2019, 05:29:32 PM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on May 03, 2019, 04:49:01 PM
Nothing has been done to curb Russian or Chinese interference in our elections.  After the Muller Report and the narrative being put forth by the media in general and the right in particular, Russia and Trump were "cleared".  If anything, it will be easier in 2020 than it was in 2016.  Working with foreign agents is perfectly fine amongst other developments it seems.

Nothing in the Mueller report or anywhere else cleared Russia of interfering in the election.
Hence the usage of quotation marks around the word cleared and the usage of the word narrative to describe the outcome of the Mueller Report.  The fact that is does provide damning evidence of Russia interfering and Trump associates willingly or unwillingly aiding in those efforts is being buried beneath the "no collusion"/"vindicated" narrative.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Eddie Teach

That narrative is about Trump's involvement.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on May 03, 2019, 05:33:49 PM
Hence the usage of quotation marks around the word cleared and the usage of the word narrative to describe the outcome of the Mueller Report.  The fact that is does provide damning evidence of Russia interfering and Trump associates willingly or unwillingly aiding in those efforts is being buried beneath the "no collusion"/"vindicated" narrative.

I'm not sure I follow your argument.  Are you saying because Trump was exonerated on collusion, people have forgotten Russia interfered, or that they now think it was kind of OK for Russia to interfere?

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 03, 2019, 05:40:02 PM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on May 03, 2019, 05:33:49 PM

I'm not sure I follow your argument.  Are you saying because Trump was exonerated on collusion, people have forgotten Russia interfered, or that they now think it was kind of OK for Russia to interfere?
From what I've seen, a bit of both.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Razgovory

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 03, 2019, 04:27:09 PM
Are you saying Trump will rig the election in his favor? Easier said than done.

No.  I think Trump will use the government to attack Democrats.  Last week I thought that Trump would use the Department of Justice to investigate his opponents in 2020.  Apparently it's already happening.  Ukraine has just reopened an investigation that was closed two years ago that involves Joe Biden's son.  Recently Giuliani has had talks with the Ukrainians  over the issue and Trump has asked that Barr to look into it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 03, 2019, 09:15:42 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 02, 2019, 08:19:48 PM
Separating many thousands of children from their parents and interning them in desert camps, many of whose parents where then deported and effectively orphaning said children. Several of said children have died under mysterious or disputed circumstances, and it is a known fact that the people staffing these camps have not been screened to prevent abuse, with over a thousand children claiming they have been sexually assault, as per the NYTimes. All in all, I would consider the results of this one policy of Trump's to vastly over shadow a singular murder.

Yes merithyn said the same thing.  And yet no one is proposing impeaching Trump for this.  The separation happened a year ago - there was no need to wait for the Mueller report which has no bearing on it. Has Congress even passed legislation to address the problem?  I don't think so.  And if Congress can't even pass simple legislation to get the executive under control, it is silly to talk about impeaching.

I'm proposing it. He should have been impeached for fraud (Trump University) and for violations of the Emoluments Clause when the congress convened for the first time after he was sworn in. He should have been impeached for his performance at Helsinki. He should have been impeached for his border policies. I'm sure if I thought about it, I could come up with at least a dozen more instances for which he should have been immediately impeached.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 04, 2019, 08:14:36 AM
I'm proposing it. He should have been impeached for fraud (Trump University) and for violations of the Emoluments Clause when the congress convened for the first time after he was sworn in. He should have been impeached for his performance at Helsinki. He should have been impeached for his border policies. I'm sure if I thought about it, I could come up with at least a dozen more instances for which he should have been immediately impeached.

We don't live in a world where thee is the slightest chance of Trump being impeached for any of this.  If we lived in that world, Trump wouldn't have been elected in the first place.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 04, 2019, 03:47:42 PM

We don't live in a world where thee is the slightest chance of Trump being impeached for any of this.  If we lived in that world, Trump wouldn't have been elected in the first place.

Trump is a token of the spiteful forces at work in the world?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Maximus

Doesn't mean we shouldn't work toward it.

Razgovory

If I thought that impeachment would accomplish some kind of good, I'd be all for it.  Unfortunately, I think it will only help him.  Honestly, I have no idea what to do.  Impeachment won't remove him from office and he's already shown interest in abusing the power of the government to destroy his enemies so I don't think he can be beaten in an election.  I fear we are sliding into a "managed democracy".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Oexmelin

Impeachment may be a political process, but it should not be about "politics". There is value in the process itself, as a ritual instantiation of the values of the Republic. It's an opportunity to tie actions and ideals together, in an explicit fashion. To presume of its conclusion, and it's outcome, is good lawyerly practice, but it's not the whole of a political process. The calculation should not be whether Trump could be impeached, but whether the process itself can produce a robust discourse of democratic norms. I think it could, and it would be salutary after so much strongman rhetoric about the Presidency, and so much undermining of democratic norms, and this is why I would support a process of impeachment.

Of course, politics will play a role in this. And I think the strategy of it ought to be about the timing, rather than the possibility of winning.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Monoriu

If the question is, has Trump done anything that is worthy of being impeached, then the answer is of course. 

But if the question is, should the Democrats initiate the impeachment process, I think the answer is no.  The inevitable result is that he won't be impeached.  He'll say that proved that he is guilt free. 

Camerus

According to one poll, only 29% of Americans want Trump impeached. Impeachment would furthermore fail in the Senate. The reality is that impeachment appeals to a minority of Americans, but would probably be counterproductive in what should be the actual goal, namely removing Trump from office and electing a candidate with reasonably broad appeal.

Make America governable again.