Previous topic - Next topic

Should Trump be impeached?

Yes, before the election
Yes, but only after the election if he's re-elected
No, wait until he's out of office and then indict him
No, he's done nothing worthy of impeachment
Hell if I know

crazy canuck

The Economist had a good piece on this question - essentially the drafters of the American constitution did not anticipate a rigid two party system and the impeachment process does not work well in this political environment.   If the proceeding is started the House will vote to impeach and the Senate will vote to clear the President.  In the end he will be able to claim he has been exonerated and the country will been even more deeply split.

DGuller

Impeachment isn't going to cure the fuckedupedness that allowed Trump be elected in the first place, or to still be supported as widely as he is while openly supporting authoritarianism.  If anything, it'll make it worse.

jimmy olsen

What exactly do you mean by impeachment?

Should the House vote today to impeach and have the senate start the trial tomorrow? No, they should not.

Should the House open a formal investigation for impeachment, and start calling witness, issuing subpoenas, etc. They should.

Uncover as much dirt as possible, while parading his wrong doing in public, bait him to publicly react and generally make it as politically damaging as possible, then after you've done all that vote to impeach.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Camerus

Beat him at the ballot box and smash Trumpism with an unambiguous victory, thereby avoiding Dolchstosslegenden.

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 29, 2019, 08:22:05 PM

Should the House vote today to impeach and have the senate start the trial tomorrow? No, they should not.

Should the House open a formal investigation for impeachment, and start calling witness, issuing subpoenas, etc. They should.

Uncover as much dirt as possible, while parading his wrong doing in public, bait him to publicly react and generally make it as politically damaging as possible, then after you've done all that vote to impeach.

That makes it sound like they're holding impeachment hearings as a campaign tactic.  That would set a terrible precedent.

Oexmelin

Quote from: dps on April 29, 2019, 09:16:15 PM
That makes it sound like they're holding impeachment hearings as a campaign tactic.  That would set a terrible precedent.

What terrible precedent would that be?
Is it worse than all other Trump-made precedents?
Que le grand cric me croque !

Razgovory

Quote from: Camerus on April 29, 2019, 08:46:57 PM
Beat him at the ballot box and smash Trumpism with an unambiguous victory, thereby avoiding Dolchstosslegenden.

If we defeated Trump in 2016 we wouldn't have avoided a Dolschstosslegend.  Trump was talking about it before the election.  Why would a defeat in 2020 be any different?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 29, 2019, 09:17:48 PM
What terrible precedent would that be?
Is it worse than all other Trump-made precedents?

Surely we should be aiming for a slightly higher standard than "only as bad as Trump."

frunk

Quote from: dps on April 29, 2019, 09:16:15 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 29, 2019, 08:22:05 PM

Why would exposing actual wrongdoing by the president and the administration be any worse than the made up crimes of Obama and Clinton we've been hearing about for the past several years?  How many Benghazi investigations were there?  As far as I'm concerned Congress has a duty to expose any such activity.  The Senate not doing anything about it doesn't mean we should ignore it.

Camerus

Quote from: Razgovory on April 29, 2019, 09:19:27 PM
Quote from: Camerus on April 29, 2019, 08:46:57 PM

If we defeated Trump in 2016 we wouldn't have avoided a Dolschstosslegend.  Trump was talking about it before the election.  Why would a defeat in 2020 be any different?

All but the nuttiest fringes will accept electoral defeat as legit. An impeachment after the Mueller fizzle on collusion, less so.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: frunk on April 29, 2019, 09:53:27 PM
Why would exposing actual wrongdoing by the president and the administration be any worse than the made up crimes of Obama and Clinton we've been hearing about for the past several years?  How many Benghazi investigations were there?  As far as I'm concerned Congress has a duty to expose any such activity.  The Senate not doing anything about it doesn't mean we should ignore it.

What such activity are you referring to?

viper37

Quote from: merithyn on April 29, 2019, 01:50:49 PM
So much discussion on this impeachment. Personally, while I strongly believe that Pelosi is waiting until after we know if Trump wins or not, I don't believe it's in the best interest of our democracy to wait. But then, I'm an idealist.

What say you, Languish?
It is not in the best interest of your democracy to wait after the election, because it will be too late then.  If he committed impeachable offenses and he gets re-elected, it means the electorate knew of the facts and decided it was ok for him to do it.

Judging by the standards of Bill Clinton, lying to the American public is an impeachable offense...

Trump went much, much, much further than that.

However, realistically, what are your chances of getting an impeachment vote in the Senate?  About nil, I'd say, but correct me if I am wrong.

With that in mind, why would you even try it?  It might even backfire against the Democrats.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: Legbiter on April 29, 2019, 05:28:00 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 29, 2019, 02:24:15 PMYes I understand this sets up a situation similar to the Roman Republic in its decadence.

Exactly.

True. But I said it for the opposite reason, where you set up a situation where nobody is held accountable for their actions so long as they remain in office.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: viper37 on April 30, 2019, 08:23:40 AM
Judging by the standards of Bill Clinton, lying to the American public is an impeachable offense...

Under oath.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 30, 2019, 10:22:44 AM
Quote from: viper37 on April 30, 2019, 08:23:40 AM

Under oath.

Well it depends on how you define the word "is".
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."