News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Notre-Dame cathedral burning in Paris

Started by Solmyr, April 15, 2019, 02:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

I like how racist actions are only US concepts. :lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on April 18, 2019, 09:15:58 AM

Or ethnic or religious based nationalism. I certainly wish those were only US concepts.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on April 18, 2019, 09:18:54 AM

Or ethnic or religious based nationalism. I certainly wish those were only US concepts.

My point was that Blackface, specifically the current obsession about it and Identity politics were US concepts, from the US PC left.
Nice strawmen by the both of you though! :)

The Brain

Wilson's obsession with ethnic purity didn't exactly help Europe.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 18, 2019, 09:31:21 AM

My point was that Blackface, specifically the current obsession about it and Identity politics were US concepts, from the US PC left.

Ok that is true. I frequently see terminology used that really doesn't work outside of a US context.

But identity politics is just a form of nationalism and Europe has been all over that for a long time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on April 18, 2019, 10:00:05 AM

Wilson's obsession with ethnic purity didn't exactly help Europe.

No argument from me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on April 18, 2019, 10:15:31 AM

Ok that is true. I frequently see terminology used that really doesn't work outside of a US context.

But identity politics is just a form of nationalism and Europe has been all over that for a long time.

In Central and Eastern Europe maybe. In post-national Western Europe not so, with self-hatred or ethno-masochism still permeating politics.

garbon

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 18, 2019, 10:26:55 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 18, 2019, 10:15:31 AM

In Central and Eastern Europe maybe. In post-national Western Europe not so, with self-hatred or ethno-masochism still permeating politics.

So we are talking some time period between what the 60s-90s (at push 00s) as the period where Europe wasn't 'all over' nationalism?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Duque de Bragança

Your knowledge of Nationalism in Europe is second only to your knowledge of wines. :)

garbon

Zoupa

dps

I'm neither PC nor on the left, and even I see a problem with blackface.  If I were a black man, I don't think I'd be less bothered by a white guy in blackface if the white guy happened to be a Frenchman in France, even if I were myself French.

Duque de Bragança

Except that the PC left sees blackface everywhere, there was not even blackface in the Aeschylus play (The Suppliants) the activists prevented from being played, just some colour masks. However, a rehearsal photo showed an actor with some brown make-up hence triggering the outrage professionals.

https://www.franceculture.fr/emissions/Eschyle-et-le-Blackface

QuoteEn l'occurrence c'est l'image d'une répétition affichée sur le site de la Sorbonne qui a déclenché la tempête. Pour cette pièce qui avait été jouée l'année dernière, provoquant déjà quelques remous, le metteur en scène Philippe Brunet a voulu marquer l'opposition entre les grecs d'Argos supposés plus ou moins blancs et les Danaïdes d'Égypte à la peau plus noire. Dans la tradition du théâtre antique, il a symbolisé cette distinction d'ethnies géographiques et non pas raciales avec des masques. Mais lors de la répétition, et sur la photo diffusée par la Sorbonne, c'est une comédienne blanche recouverte d'une peinture cuivrée qui apparaît. À partir de là, la discussion s'arrête.

This is what they censored in the name of anti-racism:

Post-modern treatment of a classic? Maybe, but that's not reason to censor it by bullying the actors.

So not D.W Griffith's Birth of a Nation.

Lastly, those French-speaking activists use actually the English word which shows how much their outrage is fake since imported from the US. Le grimage (French word) has no such history in France. It's simply old-fashioned and has fallen in disuse.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: dps on April 18, 2019, 12:46:29 PM

I'm neither PC nor on the left, and even I see a problem with blackface.  If I were a black man, I don't think I'd be less bothered by a white guy in blackface if the white guy happened to be a Frenchman in France, even if I were myself French.
Well, what I find silly is the insistance on reinventing every historical or existing fictional character as black or gay.  That gets really annoying.  Just because the opposite has been done in the past, does not mean it's "super great" now to blacken characters.  But, frankly, if you want to make a movie about a black transexual Alexander the Great, I'd likely not watch it, as opposed to send death threats to the producers.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.