News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

401(k)s Will be Unthinkable in 50 Years

Started by Habbaku, April 04, 2019, 12:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on April 08, 2019, 08:26:28 PM
The $1 million figure is thrown around a lot, but is mostly geared around a rather high standard of living in retirement. Most people making under $40,000/year before retirement definitely don't need the traditional $40,000+Social Security/year in retirement income, but significantly less. Accounting for Social Security payments as well, the number for a lot of middle-class retirees is significantly lower.

As always, "it depends".

Yeah, there was a minor scandal around here a few years back involving financial advisers pushing high cost mutual funds on low income earners when they really should have been paying down their credit card debt.  mutual fund RRSPs (our version of 401k) was the worst thing they could be doing because:

1) they were already paying little or no income tax so the tax advantages of the RRSP were not needed; and
2) the clawback of their government guaranteed payments triggered by their RRSP earnings meant that they would not be money ahead, especially when the management fees for the mutual funds were taken into account.

Quote from: Habbaku on April 09, 2019, 08:51:02 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on April 09, 2019, 08:10:08 AM
I think annuities are only worth it if you absolutely can't reach the savings goal.  Otherwise you are much better off building your own portfolio.

In an ideal situation, sure. But many don't have the acumen to do so, or might arrange their portfolio incorrectly. In addition, the likelihood they'll be able to manage their portfolio perfectly as they near end of life is unlikely, unless their heirs are doing the legwork for them. An annuity makes sense for plenty of people.

Agreed, again.  When I was younger I spent a bunch of time on my investments.  But back then the numbers were relatively small and so I could afford to be an amateur investor.  But the stakes became too high to continue that for too long and I didn't have the time to really learn what I needed to know.  Instead I sought out professional advice and was assisted in creating some fairly sophisticated investment strategies I would never have thought of myself and which others take care of.

My only regret is that I spent too many years thinking I could do it myself.  But I don't really have much to complain about.  :)

Habbaku

I'm happy to hear you made the correct call to go to a professional. Far too many either do it themselves, go to a huckster (like DG's experiment a while back, though I recall he walked away), or simply give up in frustration.

A proper CFP or investment professional can do wonders for most people.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Monoriu

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 09, 2019, 11:43:46 AM
Instead I sought out professional advice and was assisted in creating some fairly sophisticated investment strategies I would never have thought of myself and which others take care of.

Now I am curious.  Any general descriptions you want to share?

mongers

Quote from: Monoriu on April 09, 2019, 02:13:53 PM
Instead I sought out professional advice and was assisted in creating some fairly sophisticated investment strategies I would never have thought of myself and which others take care of.

You'll need to contact a professional in the UK, preferably Dorsetshire Integrity Heritage Wealth fund. Arrange a series of detailed Skype consultations, outline your assets, long term aims etc.

They'll undertake extensive research to find the best possible balance of investments, that'll match your needs. Then all you have to do is transfer your liquid assets to the company's offshore presence, preferably by wire transfer. Then sit back, relax and watch your investment grow well above the underlying stock market rate.    :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Habbaku

I am the American affiliate for the DIHW, so let me know if you need a US-based wire transfer address.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

mongers

Quote from: Habbaku on April 09, 2019, 03:26:38 PM
I am the American affiliate for the DIHW, so let me know if you need a US-based wire transfer address.

:D

This could be quite a good business.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

Quote from: Monoriu on April 09, 2019, 02:13:53 PM

On a publicly accessible forum? Nope.

Quote from: Habbaku on April 09, 2019, 03:26:38 PM

:D

DGuller

Quote from: Habbaku on April 09, 2019, 07:46:21 AM
Annuities tend to be a pretty raw deal for the purchaser, but...
They're an insurance against outliving your savings.  Any insurance comes at a cost, but so is self-insuring a risk that can be easily diversified.  All that saved up principal that you're not drawing down, to make sure that you're not down to zero and still alive, is a raw deal for yourself (though a boon for your next of kin).

Monoriu

Quote from: mongers on April 09, 2019, 03:19:20 PM

You'll need to contact a professional in the UK, preferably Dorsetshire Integrity Heritage Wealth fund. Arrange a series of detailed Skype consultations, outline your assets, long term aims etc.

They'll undertake extensive research to find the best possible balance of investments, that'll match your needs. Then all you have to do is transfer your liquid assets to the company's offshore presence, preferably by wire transfer. Then sit back, relax and watch your investment grow well above the underlying stock market rate.    :bowler:

Joking aside, all the "financial planners", mainly bank salespeople, who tried to sell me stuff didn't even bother with understanding what my needs are, what my financial situation is, and what my goals are.  They skip all the steps and go straight to "let's buy this annuity or these mutual funds".  They are just product pushers.  So far I haven't met any financial planner who isn't an insurance salesman in disguise.  No matter what I say, all roads lead to the inevitable conclusion that I absolutely need an annuity. 

Monoriu

Quote from: DGuller on April 09, 2019, 06:10:44 PM
They're an insurance against outliving your savings.  Any insurance comes at a cost, but so is self-insuring a risk that can be easily diversified.  All that saved up principal that you're not drawing down, to make sure that you're not down to zero and still alive, is a raw deal for yourself (though a boon for your next of kin).

Annuities are inflexible and costly.  People who can self-insure should self-insure.  Only the narrow spectrum of people who absolutely can't meet their savings goals should consider annuities. 

Habbaku

I'm well aware of what annuities are.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Quote from: Monoriu on April 09, 2019, 08:08:37 PM

Annuities are inflexible and costly.  People who can self-insure should self-insure.  Only the narrow spectrum of people who absolutely can't meet their savings goals should consider annuities.
You cannot self-insure yourself against this efficiently, it's impossible unless you're terminally ill or very determined to commit suicide at a certain age.  Any healthy human being younger than 90 has a life expectancy of at least five years just before events causing their eventual death start unfolding.  That means that you'll be leaving 5 years of retirement spending plus a safety margin to your heirs if you self-insure.

DGuller

Quote from: Habbaku on April 09, 2019, 08:30:03 PM

I'm well aware of what annuities are.
I was highlighting the fact that they're insurance, I was not focusing on explaining what they are.  Overall, any insurance product is a bad bet on an expected value basis, but it's stupid to make decision based solely on expected value basis when there is a material risk of ruin.

Monoriu

Quote from: DGuller on April 09, 2019, 09:02:48 PM

You cannot self-insure yourself against this efficiently, it's impossible unless you're terminally ill or very determined to commit suicide at a certain age.  Any healthy human being younger than 90 has a life expectancy of at least five years just before events causing their eventual death start unfolding.  That means that you'll be leaving 5 years of retirement spending plus a safety margin to your heirs if you self-insure.

I am very concerned with not having money in old age.  I am not really concerned about leaving money behind.  You talk as if leaving money behind is a really bad thing, and I just don't share it. 

DGuller

Quote from: Monoriu on April 09, 2019, 09:13:58 PM
Quote from: DGuller on April 09, 2019, 09:02:48 PM

I am very concerned with not having money in old age.  I am not really concerned about leaving money behind.  You talk as if leaving money behind is a really bad thing, and I just don't share it.
It's bad because you're not spending everything that you earned.  Money that is earned but not spent is money wasted.  If it's your desire to spend some of the money that you earned on your heirs, then that's not a problem, but if you're just concerned with your own material well-being or you have no heirs, then that's a waste.