News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

401(k)s Will be Unthinkable in 50 Years

Started by Habbaku, April 04, 2019, 12:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

The general rule of thumb is you need $25 in savings for every $1 that you want to spend every year.  Or the 4% rule.  So if you want to spend $40,000 a year, you need $1 million in savings. 

I think with bond yields at historic lows, 4% may not be as secure as it once was.  I think 3.5% may be a better bet.  Because you don't want to be wrong on these things. 

Admiral Yi

I've seen that "1 million is not enough" line thrown around a lot and just figured it was a financial industry pitch line.

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 08, 2019, 08:55:35 PM
I've seen that "1 million is not enough" line thrown around a lot and just figured it was a financial industry pitch line.

If you want to spend more than $40,000 per year in retirement, then $1 million is not enough. 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on April 08, 2019, 08:56:52 PM
If you want to spend more than $40,000 per year in retirement, then $1 million is not enough.

I'm the one who taught you about the rule of 25 you doofus.

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 08, 2019, 09:01:09 PM

I'm the one who taught you about the rule of 25 you doofus.

No, I read about it here  :P

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/

Habbaku

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 08, 2019, 08:55:35 PM

That's not necessarily true, though. The most common result of adhering to the 4% rule has been to leave behind a significant nest egg to the heirs. Spending could go slightly up (to, say, 4.5-5%) and not radically alter that.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Monoriu

Quote from: Habbaku on April 08, 2019, 10:55:39 PM

That's not necessarily true, though. The most common result of adhering to the 4% rule has been to leave behind a significant nest egg to the heirs. Spending could go slightly up (to, say, 4.5-5%) and not radically alter that.

The perfect result is to spend the last dollars in my last day and die in comfort.  But life isn't perfect and there are far too many unknowns.  So given that the estimate is going to be far from precise, leaving money behind is a much better outcome than dying in destitution.  As I said, it is better to be on the safe side. 

PDH

"So my grandfather died penniless."
"Wow, that's awful."
"No, it was perfect timing."
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

DGuller

Quote from: Monoriu on April 08, 2019, 11:05:19 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on April 08, 2019, 10:55:39 PM

The perfect result is to spend the last dollars in my last day and die in comfort.  But life isn't perfect and there are far too many unknowns.  So given that the estimate is going to be far from precise, leaving money behind is a much better outcome than dying in destitution.  As I said, it is better to be on the safe side.
If only there were a financial product that could use the law of large numbers to insure you against spending too much or too little...

Habbaku

Annuities tend to be a pretty raw deal for the purchaser, but...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Monoriu

I think annuities are only worth it if you absolutely can't reach the savings goal.  Otherwise you are much better off building your own portfolio.

mongers

Quote from: Monoriu on April 09, 2019, 08:10:08 AM
I think annuities are only worth it if you absolutely can't reach the savings goal.  Otherwise you are much better off building your own portfolio.

[CdM]

Whatever, the world going to crash and burn in the flames of Trump's dying ego.

[/CdM]
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Habbaku

In an ideal situation, sure. But many don't have the acumen to do so, or might arrange their portfolio incorrectly. In addition, the likelihood they'll be able to manage their portfolio perfectly as they near end of life is unlikely, unless their heirs are doing the legwork for them. An annuity makes sense for plenty of people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: mongers on April 09, 2019, 08:28:45 AM

[CdM]

[/CdM]

[Tyr]

I'll never retire, so might as well make sure I'll never retire.

[/Tyr]

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on April 09, 2019, 08:28:45 AM

[CdM]

[/CdM]

We're a year and a half behind schedule.    :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?