Who should the democrats pick to run against Trump

Started by jimmy olsen, April 01, 2019, 06:15:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who should the democrats nominate to run against Trump?

Joe Biden
5 (12.2%)
Bernie Sanders
9 (22%)
Kamala Harris
5 (12.2%)
Beto O'Rourke
3 (7.3%)
Elizabeth Warren
4 (9.8%)
Amy Klobuchar
3 (7.3%)
Kirsten Gillibrand
0 (0%)
Cory Booker
2 (4.9%)
Pete Buttigieg
5 (12.2%)
Other
5 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 41

viper37

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 03, 2019, 08:44:46 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on April 02, 2019, 03:22:28 PM
Anyhow I voted Biden; the Biden-Trump debates will become the stuff of legend.  Not "Legend" in the sense of Kennedy-Nixon or Lincoln-Douglas; but instead like the aged Beowulf and the dragon.  In the upcoming dark ages bards will sing songs of the contest in their liege's mead hall.

Unless Schultz does run, in which case Bloomberg is the best possible choice.

There's no way this stuff isn't going to tank him in a democratic primary. 
https://mobile.twitter.com/GreatAmericaPAC/status/1113141376546308097
gee, Republicans playing the moral card when they refused investigation into Kavanaugh's behavior?  No surprise there.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

merithyn

Quote from: grumbler on April 03, 2019, 09:36:01 AM
I think all the pervs are voting for the guy who likes to grab women by the pussy.  Also, the people old enough to remember when men could be touchy are senile enough to vote Trump as well.  Biden won't get any votes for being touchy, but he's also too old to run for office. 

Plus, while Biden isn't Trumpishly dishonest, he's got a few whoppers in his past.

The whole plagerism thing from the late '80s that sunk his first run for president comes to mind.

I think the whole touchy-feely thing is really overblown, and I'm not much of a toucher. Yeah, it's awkward, and yeah, it's really not appropriate. But in the sweet grandfatherly way rather than the grab-em-by-the-pussy way. YMMV
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: viper37 on April 03, 2019, 10:11:54 AM
Anyhow I voted Biden; the Biden-Trump debates will become the stuff of legend.  Not "Legend" in the sense of Kennedy-Nixon or Lincoln-Douglas; but instead like the aged Beowulf and the dragon.  In the upcoming dark ages bards will sing songs of the contest in their liege's mead hall.

gee, Republicans playing the moral card when they refused investigation into Kavanaugh's behavior?  No surprise there.

Better yet, this is a rehash of a commercial that Clinton ran against Trump in 2016.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

dps

Quote from: merithyn on April 03, 2019, 11:08:04 AM
I think the whole touchy-feely thing is really overblown, and I'm not much of a toucher. Yeah, it's awkward, and yeah, it's really not appropriate. But in the sweet grandfatherly way rather than the grab-em-by-the-pussy way. YMMV

I agree, though I think it may be a generational thing.

Heck, I'm old enough to remember when men were sometimes criticized for being distant and not being touchy-feelie.  Now, pat someone on the back to congratulate them for a job well done and you risk being accused of sexual harassment, even though any reasonable person would recognize that it's in no way a sexual gesture.

The Minsky Moment

Every postwar non-incumbency election that Demorats won happened when they ran a fresh young face: Jack Kennedy, Carter, Clinton, Obama.  FDR arguably fits that as well as a 50 year old one-term governor, which makes it 100 years.  It's not enough to be non-Trump.  There has to be reason to vote *for* the candidate.  It's not clear to me what Joe Biden's case is to vote for him other than that he is a safe pair of hands that has some voter appeal in the old Midwest.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: Legbiter on April 03, 2019, 09:03:57 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 03, 2019, 08:44:46 AMThere's no way this stuff isn't going to tank him in a democratic primary.https://mobile.twitter.com/GreatAmericaPAC/status/1113141376546308097

Depends on who shows up to vote in the primaries. If a lot of "normies" show up to vote for him then it might not really become an issue.  :hmm:

Normies? :yeahright:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

FunkMonk

As long as Bernie isn't the nominee I'll be reasonably happy. I don't really like him and I'm fairly certain he's the most likely to lose to Donald. 
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on April 03, 2019, 01:17:11 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on April 03, 2019, 09:03:57 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 03, 2019, 08:44:46 AMThere's no way this stuff isn't going to tank him in a democratic primary.https://mobile.twitter.com/GreatAmericaPAC/status/1113141376546308097

Depends on who shows up to vote in the primaries. If a lot of "normies" show up to vote for him then it might not really become an issue.  :hmm:

Normies? :yeahright:

Does Legbiter think Languish is some kind of cult so we need disparaging terms for those on the outside?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

If you say so; but the question on the table isn't "Who will the Democrats pick to run against Trump"  it's "Who should the democrats pick to run against Trump".  Based on the criterion I listed I feel that Biden is the clear choice.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 03, 2019, 12:10:58 PM
Every postwar non-incumbency election that Demorats won happened when they ran a fresh young face: Jack Kennedy, Carter, Clinton, Obama.  FDR arguably fits that as well as a 50 year old one-term governor, which makes it 100 years.  It's not enough to be non-Trump.  There has to be reason to vote *for* the candidate.  It's not clear to me what Joe Biden's case is to vote for him other than that he is a safe pair of hands that has some voter appeal in the old Midwest.

Roosevelt was Cox's running mate; calling him a "Fresh young face" in 1932, would be the equivalent of calling Sarah Palin a "Fresh young face" today.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on April 03, 2019, 02:36:27 PM

Does Legbiter think Languish is some kind of cult so we need disparaging terms for those on the outside?

It's Alt-Right lingo.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on April 03, 2019, 03:39:51 PM

It's Alt-Right lingo.
no, not exclusively.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Savonarola on April 03, 2019, 03:27:31 PM

If you say so; but the question on the table isn't "Who will the Democrats pick to run against Trump"  it's "Who should the democrats pick to run against Trump".  Based on the criterion I listed I feel that Biden is the clear choice.
Fair enough
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on April 03, 2019, 09:11:18 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 03, 2019, 03:39:51 PM

It's Alt-Right lingo.
no, not exclusively.

Where did you hear it?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?