Who should the democrats pick to run against Trump

Started by jimmy olsen, April 01, 2019, 06:15:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who should the democrats nominate to run against Trump?

Joe Biden
5 (12.2%)
Bernie Sanders
9 (22%)
Kamala Harris
5 (12.2%)
Beto O'Rourke
3 (7.3%)
Elizabeth Warren
4 (9.8%)
Amy Klobuchar
3 (7.3%)
Kirsten Gillibrand
0 (0%)
Cory Booker
2 (4.9%)
Pete Buttigieg
5 (12.2%)
Other
5 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on April 01, 2019, 01:27:27 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 01, 2019, 01:14:40 PM
I cast my non american non binding, entirely meaningless, vote for Warren to be the Democratic candidate.

A very smart policy wonk as President is what the US and the world needs now.

Do take note the question isn't who do you think should be president but rather who should the Dems nominate.

I don't see the distinction.  The question isn't who will win - it's "who should they pick".  I think it calls for an assessment of personal preference.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 01, 2019, 01:41:50 PM
I cast my non american non binding, entirely meaningless, vote for Warren to be the Democratic candidate.

Do take note the question isn't who do you think should be president but rather who should the Dems nominate.

Right, and I have some hope the US system will become sane again.

The system has always been sane. It is just the damn voters that ruin it!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on April 01, 2019, 01:43:28 PM

I don't see the distinction.  The question isn't who will win - it's "who should they pick".  I think it calls for an assessment of personal preference.

I guess it depends on what one thinks 'should' should mean.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

frunk

As dps noted a while back Democrat policy wonks lose, and frequently lose badly.  It's the charismatic Democrats that win.

Valmy

Quote from: frunk on April 01, 2019, 02:06:42 PM

As dps noted a while back Democrat policy wonks lose, and frequently lose badly.  It's the charismatic Democrats that win.

Being able to be many things to many people is a big political advantage.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Unless they find a Blue Dog willing to run, I don't care.  Question for me is which third party candidate to vote for.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on April 01, 2019, 02:14:37 PM
Unless they find a Blue Dog willing to run, I don't care.  Question for me is which third party candidate to vote for.

Full on Blue Dogs are extinct, man.  You know that.

But some of these candidates are not like the others.  But there's a pretty substantive difference between Warren and Sanders on the one side, and a Joe Biden, Beto or Cory Booker on the other.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on April 01, 2019, 02:17:56 PM
Full on Blue Dogs are extinct, man.  You know that.

I don't know that :unsure:

Granted I don't know what sort of policies are required for you or Spicey to consider straight blue dog.

In any case a Blue Dog is as likely to capture a presidential nomination as a leftist RINO is to capture the Republican one.

Granted we can have people singing the glories of capitalism and free trade but unless they are extreme in quasi-anarchism they are widely seen as leftwing.

derspiess

Not much rising to the top in terms of third party candidates :yuk: 

Unless Amash decides to run as a Libertarian, I may have to vote for Vermin Supreme.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on April 01, 2019, 02:37:32 PM
Not much rising to the top in terms of third party candidates :yuk: 

Unless Amash decides to run as a Libertarian, I may have to vote for Vermin Supreme.

That would be one awesome Presidency. Everything would be discussed on his Facebook page.

But I don't know. He tends to prefer just to keep his Congressional seat.

celedhring

Quote from: celedhring on April 01, 2019, 09:43:55 AM
No idea to be frank. Half of the people on the list are complete unknowns to me. I need pictures.

Okay, I did some research on the matter, and my vote goes to Tulsi Gabbard, who sadly isn't on the list.  :glare:

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on April 01, 2019, 03:00:21 PM
Quote from: celedhring on April 01, 2019, 09:43:55 AM
No idea to be frank. Half of the people on the list are complete unknowns to me. I need pictures.

Okay, I did some research on the matter, and my vote goes to Tulsi Gabbard, who sadly isn't on the list.  :glare:

Such an openly anti-Saudi President would be wild.

celedhring

I voted on her looks only (although I'm aware her foreign policy is rather wild). There's far too many people in the field to research their platforms or electability. Ask me in a year when it winnows down.  :P

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on April 01, 2019, 03:42:22 PM
I voted on her looks only (although I'm aware her foreign policy is rather wild). There's far too many people in the field to research their platforms or electability. Ask me in a year when it winnows down.  :P

She is controversial. She seems a bit...too outraged by what we are doing in Syria? I mean I get not being enthusiastic about it but she seems almost like she likes Assad. That might be unfair.

But hating the Saudis easily cancels that out as far as evil regimes go.

I think there are some other things controversial about her but they don't come readily to mind. I am sure her opponents in this primary will help remind me :lol:

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on April 01, 2019, 03:46:04 PM
Quote from: celedhring on April 01, 2019, 03:42:22 PM

She is controversial. She seems a bit...too outraged by what we are doing in Syria? I mean I get not being enthusiastic about it but she seems almost like she likes Assad. That might be unfair.

But hating the Saudis easily cancels that out as far as evil regimes go.

I think there are some other things controversial about her but they don't come readily to mind. I am sure her opponents in this primary will help remind me :lol:

Will they even care? Checking some odds/polls she seems very low in the ladder.

I remember Minsky speaking well of Klobuchar. I might go with that as a lazy default.