News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What do we do about Michael Jackson?

Started by Barrister, March 08, 2019, 01:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 09, 2019, 07:37:25 AM
Polanski? Make sure to burn the 35 mm original camera negatives too.
I have seen one Polanski movie, Dance of the Vampires, and that was way before I knew who was Polanski.

At least, I'm not an hypocrit.  But Hollywood is, however.  Especially given all the shit about #metoo.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

The recent TV programme changes little for me. Already knew he was a very disturbed man.
Criminals can still produce good things.
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

If the PRC can roll tanks over several hundred students, and we'll still move our industry over there/buy their crap at Walmart...than do MJ songs really rank all that high on the "too despicable to do business with" scale?

dps

Quote from: Barrister on March 08, 2019, 02:10:57 PM

There certainly is a line I would suggest.  John Wayne Gacy painted a whole lot of picture both before and after his arrest - and such pictures now sell for thousands of dollars.  BUt I would never, ever buy one of them.  Similarly Hitler was famously an artist, and his paintings similarly sell quite well.

But on which side of the line is Billie Jean?

Well, I don't have thousands (or even hundreds) of dollars to spend on original artwork, but I can listen to Billie Jean for free, and if I want to buy Jackson's music, CDs are relatively inexpensive, so I'm not sure that's a good comparison.

FWIW, I believed the original allegations against him back in the mid-90s, and it didn't stop me from enjoying his music then, so the supposedly new "info" doesn't change anything for me.

alfred russel

I don't get it. I always assumed he was molesting children, and there was plenty of evidence to support that while he lived. But why does a TV documentary (that I haven't seen) apparently establish his guilt when the accusers have made contradictory statements (including at some points under oath) and stand to benefit financially?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on March 09, 2019, 01:44:34 PM
I don't get it. I always assumed he was molesting children, and there was plenty of evidence to support that while he lived. But why does a TV documentary (that I haven't seen) apparently establish his guilt when the accusers have made contradictory statements (including at some points under oath) and stand to benefit financially?

Because it's compelling TV, which has the 'right' to move political or cultural issues over and above legal or ethical considerations; "It's the Spirit of the Age".   :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on March 09, 2019, 10:38:57 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 09, 2019, 07:37:25 AM
Polanski? Make sure to burn the 35 mm original camera negatives too.
I have seen one Polanski movie, Dance of the Vampires, and that was way before I knew who was Polanski.

At least, I'm not an hypocrit.  But Hollywood is, however.  Especially given all the shit about #metoo.

That's actually my favorite. Chinatown is just behind.
If that makes you feel better, that movie was made in 1967, well before Polanski became infamous, i.e 1977.

PS: the victim, Samantha Geimer, actually wishes to dismiss the case against Polanski, given she suffered from all the trial publicity.  :hmm:
What a mess...

Threviel

I thought he became infamous in 2009, when he was arrested in Switzerland. IIRC that's when I understood what an evil fucker he is.

The Brain

Quote from: Threviel on March 09, 2019, 03:53:32 PM
I thought he became infamous in 2009, when he was arrested in Switzerland. IIRC that's when I understood what an evil fucker he is.

He was infamous long before that.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Threviel

Doesn't infamous imply something negative?

The Brain

Quote from: Threviel on March 09, 2019, 04:00:36 PM
Doesn't infamous imply something negative?

Indeed. He was infamous as a kiddie fucker on the run from justice.

Threviel

Well, IIRC I hadn't really noticed that. At the very least I hadn't read up on it. Unfortunately the 2009 made me read up on what the fuck he did and made me utterly despise the fucker and everyone who defended him.

The Brain

Quote from: Threviel on March 09, 2019, 04:06:02 PM
Well, IIRC I hadn't really noticed that. At the very least I hadn't read up on it. Unfortunately the 2009 made me read up on what the fuck he did and made me utterly despise the fucker and everyone who defended him.

I'm sure 2009 made him even infamousier.

Threviel

His infamousiness probably increased a lot.

Har inte du en schlagerfestival att glo på?

Admiral Yi

I happily watched The Pianist knowing Polanski had stuck his dick in a 13 year old butt hole and then fled the country.  I would also like him to be brought to justice.