1 (2.8%)
I usually eat at a sit down restaurant
4 (11.1%)
Other
1 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on January 29, 2019, 05:16:34 PM
In all seriousness, I drove by a Speedway  near Columbus that had kiosks where you could order freshly made food. I think they copied the Sheetz MTO model.
The only place one should eat at in Columbus is Schmidt's Sausage Haus.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grinning_Colossus

I either skip it or order delivery. Unfortunately, the best/only food delivery app in this country has stopped working, so it's become hard to have things delivered to my office.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on January 28, 2019, 06:30:28 PM
I should prepare something at home and take it to work. It makes sense.
But its just so much effort. And removes the freedom to eat what I want when lunch time comes around.
I usually go for a walk and get whatever I fancy. Sometimes it is a sandwich, other times jacket potato, maybe once every week or two fast food, sometimes a pie or pasty, etc...

This is easily 60-80 quid a month, though.

I have gotten much better at gathering the willpower necessary to spend 30 seconds in the morning assembling a sandwitch. Also at times I'd have leftover from dinner. The difference in cost is staggering.

Grey Fox

I fix/pack lunch for 2 other person. In comparison, fixing your sandwich is mundane.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Habbaku

Quote from: Tamas on January 30, 2019, 10:26:27 AM
This is easily 60-80 quid a month, though.

I have gotten much better at gathering the willpower necessary to spend 30 seconds in the morning assembling a sandwitch. Also at times I'd have leftover from dinner. The difference in cost is staggering.

:yes:

Packing my lunch most days means I retire 1-2 years earlier. Engaging in a bit of meal-prep on Sundays or in the morning is a small price to pay.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

My issue isn't entirely on avoiding prep but on prep of sandwich in morning leads me feeling negative about lunch (one of the few bright moments during the day) and then also, I used to try to just make extra food that could be then brought in. Just led to me having two meals at night. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on January 30, 2019, 09:57:23 AM
Quote from: derspiess on January 29, 2019, 05:16:34 PM
In all seriousness, I drove by a Speedway  near Columbus that had kiosks where you could order freshly made food. I think they copied the Sheetz MTO model.
The only place one should eat at in Columbus is Schmidt's Sausage Haus.

Schmidt's is fun.  Valters has better food.  And of course Columbus now has its own Hofbräuhaus.

Btw this is that Cincinnati place I mentioned a couple months ago.  It's been open since 1865.  Food and beer selection are great and it has a nice biergarten: https://www.mecklenburgs.com

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Habbaku

Quote from: garbon on January 30, 2019, 10:58:26 AM
My issue isn't entirely on avoiding prep but on prep of sandwich in morning leads me feeling negative about lunch (one of the few bright moments during the day) and then also, I used to try to just make extra food that could be then brought in. Just led to me having two meals at night. -_-

I don't see anything wrong at all with treating lunch as a sort of mental-health thing. For me, the economic value of saving on my meals at work is greater than the enjoyment I would get by going out.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 30, 2019, 10:29:13 AM
I fix/pack lunch for 2 other person. In comparison, fixing your sandwich is mundane.

Well that's it also.  I think many of us who pack a lunch are part of larger families, so it's more efficient to make lunches for several people than it is to have everyone buy (plus the cost savings are even more staggering).

It's not like I never go out for lunch.  I went out on Monday to an asian hot pot restaurant with a colleague - I'd never been to such a place before.  It was fun.  In fact that's the one good thing about having my office on the very edge of the nice part of downtown - Chinatown is right next door, with lots of good restaurants.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Savonarola

The other thing I thought was interesting in the article was how New Year's Resolutions end at about the third week (which is when demand for bacon picks up again in the sandwich industry.)  This week it seemed like attendance at my gym dropped to about half of what it was the first week of the year.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

OttoVonBismarck

Pack lunch, usually leftovers or sandwiches or a wrap. Me and a close group of coworkers have a standing lunch day every 2 weeks, we usually use that day to try new restaurants or retread well liked old ones. I also have occasional eat out lunches with others in addition to that. But it's probably 80% packed lunches.

Delirium

I never pack lunch from home, partly because my commute is too long for it to be edible on arrival, but mostly because it is one less cause for stress that I can avoid in the morning. I used to go out and sit down in a restaurant every meal to get away from work and unwind but since starting in a new place I bring lunch to work and socialize, for however long that will last.

This is part of a deliberate effort to avoid stressful situations and focus on more important things, mainly the kids, the missus and wargaming.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

mongers

Quote from: Delirium on February 05, 2019, 05:07:02 PM
I never pack lunch from home, partly because my commute is too long for it to be edible on arrival, but mostly because it is one less cause for stress that I can avoid in the morning. I used to go out and sit down in a restaurant every meal to get away from work and unwind but since starting in a new place I bring lunch to work and socialize, for however long that will last.

This is part of a deliberate effort to avoid stressful situations and focus on more important things, mainly the kids, the missus and wargaming.

Fine set of priorities you have.

Though the order is a bit suspect.  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Delirium

I should have said, "in no particular order".  :)
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Threviel

Do you have several days to commute? I mean, food normally last a quite a few hours before it goes bad.