News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

I am somewhat skeptical the judge really is illegally ordering Musk to censor the judge's political opponents.

But in any case I am not sure what he is trying to achieve here. Unless he can appeal the ruling to some higher court who the hell cares what Elon Musk's interpretation of Brazilian law is?

Besides is he saying that if the laws of Brazil included censorship he would comply? Not really much of a stance.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Apparently he (Musk) said he would expose the judge's crimes and post them on Xchan.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on August 31, 2024, 02:15:44 PMApparently he (Musk) said he would expose the judge's crimes and post them on Xchan.

That would require work and effort, both things Musk doesn't do. He won't do shit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on August 31, 2024, 02:15:44 PMApparently he (Musk) said he would expose the judge's crimes and post them on Xchan.

I guess he's got a team of sycophants to do this for him?
As even paying someone seems too much like work
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josquius on August 31, 2024, 02:20:13 PM

I guess he's got a team of sycophants to do this for him?
As even paying someone seems too much like work

If he has a team, they are not X employees.  He fired most of them.

Crazy_Ivan80

seem rather useless since no one will (legally) see it in Brasil

Jacob

I wonder if Musk's reference to the constitutionality of the judge's order refers to the American or the Brazillian constitution?

Tamas

Quote from: Jacob on September 01, 2024, 05:31:46 AMI wonder if Musk's reference to the constitutionality of the judge's order refers to the American or the Brazillian constitution?

I don't think he paused to think whether he is actually correct on that.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on September 01, 2024, 05:31:46 AMI wonder if Musk's reference to the constitutionality of the judge's order refers to the American or the Brazillian constitution?

Even in the United States, a corporation must comply with the corporate registration requirements of the jurisdiction in which the corporation is doing business.

Mask may have such a simplistic view of the world that he really does believe that his freedom trumps everything.

garbon

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cn8ljjjmpg5o

QuoteRacial hatred post did not break X rules

A post on X that could result in the wife of a Tory councillor serving a "substantial" prison sentence did not violate the platform's rules for violent threats, it has emerged.

Lucy Connolly, a childminder from Northampton, has pleaded guilty to publishing a social media post intending to stir up racial hatred after calling for hotels housing asylum seekers to be set alight.

A few days after her post, X rejected a complaint from a user who flagged the message to it.

The social media giant did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

The 41-year-old had posted on 29 July calling for hotels housing migrants to be set on fire and for "mass deportation now".

"If that makes me racist, so be it," she added.

It came as disorder broke out at a number of locations across the country, with hotels containing asylum seekers attacked.

An X user, who did not want to be identified, described how they had alerted the platform to the now deleted post but had been rebuffed in an automated response.

They told the BBC: "I'm shocked and appalled. If they can ignore this clear-cut breach of their alleged rules of conduct and go against UK law, there is clearly a grave problem with their supposed moderation process."

X's rules, external explicitly prohibit "threats to inflict physical harm on others, which includes threatening to kill, torture, sexually assault or otherwise hurt someone".

In response to the complaint, X emailed: "After reviewing the available information, we want to let you know our automated systems found that [Connolly's X account] hasn't broken our rules against posting violent threats. We know this isn't the answer you're looking for."

The X user said they had previously flagged up concerning messages on the platform and had received similar responses.

"I've largely given up reporting now as I always get the 'no violation' response, despite clear breaches," they added.

Last month, policing minister Dame Diana Johnson said tech firms "have an obligation now" to tackle material that incites violence.

It followed an open letter, external from media regulator Ofcom to social media platforms that said they should take action against such posts and not wait until Ofcom gets enhanced powers under the Online Safety Act.

The new rules, which will come into force in 2025, will compel companies to take "robust action" against illegal content and activity.

Under the act, tech firms could be fined up to £18m or 10% of their qualifying worldwide revenue, and senior managers could face criminal action.

The user who complained to X about Connolly's post comes from the West Midlands but did not want to be identified because they feared trolling online.

"I have watched with dismay how racist rhetoric has flourished on the internet, across social media sites, spreading disinformation to deliberately stoke up division," they said.

"I don't think sites like X bear sole responsibility, but they play a significant role in the spread of disinformation and should, as a bare minimum, follow their own code of conduct."

The owner of X, Elon Musk, took to the platform to comment on the previous conviction of a Northampton man who was jailed for copying Connolly's message.

Tyler James Kay was sent to prison for 38 months after he admitted publishing the inflammatory posts calling for hotels housing asylum seekers to be set alight.

The billionaire described Mr Kay's conviction as "messed up" to his 196 million followers.

Connolly will be sentenced at Birmingham Crown Court on 17 October.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Is anyone surprised to learn that X's automated systems didn't successfully replace all the employees who were terminated after Musk took over?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 03, 2024, 06:57:51 AMIs anyone surprised to learn that X's automated systems didn't successfully replace all the employees who were terminated after Musk took over?

That's one interpretation.
The other is that the automated systems are working as designed.  Ex. A being Musk's comment on the Kay conviction.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 03, 2024, 08:21:14 AMThat's one interpretation.
The other is that the automated systems are working as designed.  Ex. A being Musk's comment on the Kay conviction.
I think this is it. Sunder Katwala is worth looking at for astonishingly racist accounts either being unbanned or not being sanctioned for very racist comments all over Twitter. It's a feature not a bug.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 03, 2024, 08:21:14 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 03, 2024, 06:57:51 AMIs anyone surprised to learn that X's automated systems didn't successfully replace all the employees who were terminated after Musk took over?

That's one interpretation.

For the systems to be designed in a particular way one would need to have workers to design them properly.  I'm not sure where Z would've gotten those
workers since they were all terminated.

Your alternative explanation requires a degree of sophistication and ability which likely does not exist.

The better explanation is that Whatever the systems are, They are completely inadequate to the task.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 03, 2024, 08:29:24 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 03, 2024, 08:21:14 AMThat's one interpretation.
I think this is it. Sunder Katwala is worth looking at for astonishingly racist accounts either being unbanned or not being sanctioned for very racist comments all over Twitter. It's a feature not a bug.

It does not require any degree of sophisticated systems to allow people to post what they will.  It's actually easier to do if you don't put proper systems in place at all.  And that's probably what happened.

Both you and JR are giving way too much credit in assuming that a sophisticated system was developed when all of the evidence indicates that there was nobody there to do so.