News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Iceland moves towards joining the EU

Started by Zanza, July 16, 2009, 09:34:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: clandestino on July 16, 2009, 12:21:40 PM

@Valmy: When we entered the EU they were paying for the people to destroy their fishing boats, and since there are few things that Portuguese like the most then free money without working, we decimated the fleet and now buy from our Lords, the Spanish.

lolz
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: The Larch on July 16, 2009, 12:17:58 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 16, 2009, 11:50:04 AM
Quote from: The Larch on July 16, 2009, 11:37:55 AM
It gets plenty of coverage, at least around here. IMO it's a bit exagerated and it's diverting attention from other issues, but it has to be adressed.

Why it's happening is actually quite simple, the Sicilian mafia is (fo' real!) behind its fishery, and quotas don't get in the way of their profits.
What do you mean by the mafia is behind it?  The articles I've read say it is a cuppa two tree Spanish and French corporate fishing fleets (mostly Spanish).

The two fleets more responsible for the overfishing of Mediterranean bluefin tuna are the French one based in Marseilles and the Italian one based in Sicily. Both are directly or indirectly controlled by organized crime, and EU inspectors and environmental groups have been threatened recently when they were hitting too close to home.
A Spaniard complaining about overfishing?  lolz.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

Quote from: The Larch on July 16, 2009, 11:31:55 AM
If Iceland does apply, they'll be in by 2012, together with Croatia.

Don't count on it.. Iceland (together with Norway and Lichtenstein) have special status with the EEA Treaty. Which means we are already effectively part of the EU. We just have a few more opt outs than the UK and we don't get to take part in decision making.

Plus, we (when we get this banking crisis over with) will be net contributors.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

Quote from: clandestino on July 16, 2009, 12:21:40 PM
@Valmy: When we entered the EU they were paying for the people to destroy their fishing boats, and since there are few things that Portuguese like the most then free money without working, we decimated the fleet and now buy from our Lords, the Spanish.

Centuries of culture and heritage...sold out for free EU monies.

You Portuguese are alright.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Iormlund

Quote from: Neil on July 16, 2009, 12:23:18 PM
Larchie is a biologist. :P

As for Iceland, I would make their entry dependent on Lisbon. Anything else would be utmost idiocy.
We shall properly label every single bent cucumber on the island whether they like it or not.

The Larch

Quote from: Viking on July 16, 2009, 12:41:08 PM
Quote from: The Larch on July 16, 2009, 11:31:55 AM
If Iceland does apply, they'll be in by 2012, together with Croatia.

Don't count on it.. Iceland (together with Norway and Lichtenstein) have special status with the EEA Treaty. Which means we are already effectively part of the EU. We just have a few more opt outs than the UK and we don't get to take part in decision making.

Plus, we (when we get this banking crisis over with) will be net contributors.

That's why I added the "if". I'm still not sure of it happening, so we'll have to wait and see.

Neil

Quote from: Iormlund on July 16, 2009, 12:44:32 PM
But a Spaniard, and thus unable to come to grips with Spain's national crimes against the biosphere.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Larch

Quote from: Iormlund on July 16, 2009, 12:44:32 PM

As for Iceland, I would make their entry dependent on Lisbon. Anything else would be utmost idiocy.
We shall properly label every single bent cucumber on the island whether they like it or not.

If we're in the bussiness of showing off, it's Environmental biologist from Vigo, the biggest fishing port in Europe, with family in the fishing sector both in public and private sides, who has just finished a masters degree in Fisheries' Economics.  :cool: If there's something I can talk semi-authoritatively in it's in fishing and conservation.  :lol:

And by the way, the cucumber bent measuring normative was dropped recently amidst efforts of cutting red tape in European markets.

Viking

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8153139.stm

The Icelandic Parliament thinks that the earliest date for entry would be 2013 with a referendum in 2012.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

:lol:

Environmental biologist?  That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.  What would a non-environmental biologist study?  It's like they just felt the need to add the word 'environmental' in there, so you could be ordained as a priest in the enviro-religion.

Savonarola

Quote from: The Larch on July 16, 2009, 12:54:41 PM
If we're in the bussiness of showing off, it's Environmental biologist from Vigo, the biggest fishing port in Europe, with family in the fishing sector both in public and private sides, who has just finished a masters degree in Fisheries' Economics.  :cool: If there's something I can talk semi-authoritatively in it's in fishing and conservation.  :lol:

That sounds like a background for a character in a PG Wodehouse novel.  You should abandon the fish business, though there is money in fish, and put out a "Leave it to Larch" ad in the paper.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Larch

Quote from: Viking on July 16, 2009, 12:57:15 PM

The Icelandic Parliament thinks that the earliest date for entry would be 2013 with a referendum in 2012.

Back in January the Enlargement Commissioner said that, if Iceland applied quickly, it could be in as soon as 2011, so it can go faster that expected:

QuoteIceland could be fast-tracked to join the EU within two years, to help the small Nordic state out of its economic crisis, a top EU official says.

Enlargement Commissioner Olli Rehn said that if Iceland applied soon, it could join at the same time as Croatia, which is expected to become a member by 2011.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7860078.stm

Neil

Quote from: The Larch on July 16, 2009, 01:01:12 PM
Quote from: Viking on July 16, 2009, 12:57:15 PM

Back in January the Enlargement Commissioner said that, if Iceland applied quickly, it could be in as soon as 2011, so it can go faster that expected:

QuoteIceland could be fast-tracked to join the EU within two years, to help the small Nordic state out of its economic crisis, a top EU official says.

Enlargement Commissioner Olli Rehn said that if Iceland applied soon, it could join at the same time as Croatia, which is expected to become a member by 2011.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7860078.stm
They need time to equip their coast guard with netcutters.

Viking

Is Croatia getting in or do they still have to wait for the Lisabon Treaty?

Legbiter

So, yes, we're dropping off an EU application. Wow, I'm quite surprised that our MP's managed to do the right thing but maybe that can be explained by statistical probability finally catching up with them.  :lol:

Still, it was a very close vote, with a personal roll call of every single MP, so no anonymous pushing of a Yes/No/Abstain button. Plus, the vote went every which way politically speaking, with MP's defying the party whips left and right.  Rather dramatic with boos and cheers alternating and the Speaker having to hit the bell several times and remind Parliament to maintain at least a semblance of decorum toward each other. 

The vote went 33 ayes against 27 nayes with 3 MP's abstaining.

The next item on the agenda will be Parliament agreeing on the Icesave deal between us and the UK & the Netherlands. This one is crucial, because if Parliament kills the deal (50/50 I'd say) Iceland will probably get it's IMF package pulled, it's EU membership blocked by the UK (much like Croatia is being cockblocked by Slovenia), followed by Iceland's loans being called in all at once, as well as the junking of the State's credit rating. Add in vulture funds buying up our debt at a hefty discount and refusing to go away. In short, a sovereign default.

All at the same time.

Even if we agree to pay back Icesave at 5.5% interest rate over the next 27 years, plus the IMF package as well as the unemployment/disability costs, I remain *somewhat* sceptical about Iceland managing to avoid an outright sovereign default. And if not, then at the very least it'll be a country of barebone services of any kind, sluggish economic growth and extremely (even for other Nordic countries) high taxation.   

In short, this is a mess that will take generations to sort out. Not sure I want to stick around to be Gordon Brown's indentured servant unto the 3rd generation.  ;) On the other hand if I and everyone who can do so gives up on Iceland and moves away, then who will pay for the bankers?
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.