17 (36.2%)
No
21 (44.7%)
Jaronomayor
9 (19.1%)

Total Members Voted: 46

garbon

Quote from: KRonn on July 15, 2009, 09:11:52 AM
I'd rather legislators debate and pass legislation, as is their job. The courts are to interpret the law, as is its job. I'd rather it works that way for the most part. The fact that legislators can be voted in or out for their decisions, though an imperfect system, I like better than someone with a lifetime appointment making rules/laws, and not being so accountable for their decisions, except the rare impeachment of judges.
While that thought is very nice and well, it has been made clear that the "imperfect" system you like can hardly even classify as functional.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Strix

Quote from: hsilbud on July 15, 2009, 12:40:49 PM
Quote from: Strix on July 15, 2009, 12:37:34 PMThey just need to use the same formula the courts placed on the Rochester City Police. You create three lists of candidates; a white one, a black one, and a female one. For every three white people hired off the list you must than hire a black and a female off their lists regardless of their qualifications in comparison to the white list.

It works for the public so why not the USSC?

Ricci won his case, so good luck with that.

The city has been doing it since the early 90's. Hopefully the firefighter's win will start to change things but I won't hold my breath. The city is actually being threatened with a new lawsuit because during their last few hiring cycles they were unable to follow the hiring policy set by the court decision because they didn't have candidates meeting the minimum requirements to be a police officer. So, now they may be facing a lawsuit that wants to require the city to allow those on the non-white and female list to be exempt from meeting the minimum requirements to be a police officer.  :mad:
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Caliga

The best system of government would be one with people like those judge dudes that ruled Krypton and put General Zod and his lackeys into the Phantom Zone.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Savonarola

Quote from: Caliga on July 15, 2009, 01:03:13 PM
The best system of government would be one with people like those judge dudes that ruled Krypton and put General Zod and his lackeys into the Phantom Zone.

Or the one in Megacity One of the Judge Dredd comic books.  Riding a motorcycle and wantonly shooting criminals would make Justice Scalia happy.   :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

Apparently when questioned about the Wise Latina she claimed that people have chosen to misunderstand what she said.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 15, 2009, 04:09:02 PM
Apparently when questioned about the Wise Latina she claimed that people have chosen to misunderstand what she said.

Well at least she can say the obvious.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on July 15, 2009, 04:17:06 PM
Well at least she can say the obvious.
If she had intended to say the obvious she would have said I wish now that I hadn't said it and let's all pretend I didn't.

Faeelin

I would like to thank the Republicans for their firm effort to reach out to women and hispanic voters over the course of these hearings.

grumbler

I think she is certainly well-qualified by the current standards for USSC appointments, and while she certainly isn't my ideal candidate, I would have no reason to not vote to confirmation, had I the power to do so.

Had I my druthers, I'd take a Mulligen on the whole current lot of justices (her included) and start again.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on July 15, 2009, 05:28:03 PM
I think she is certainly well-qualified by the current standards for USSC appointments, and while she certainly isn't my ideal candidate, I would have no reason to not vote to confirmation, had I the power to do so.

Had I my druthers, I'd take a Mulligen on the whole current lot of justices (her included) and start again.

Who would you pick?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on July 15, 2009, 06:10:49 PM
Quote from: grumbler on July 15, 2009, 05:28:03 PM

Who would you pick?
J. Michael Straczynski, of course. ^_^
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Camille Paglia and Hillary Clinton. :wub:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Scipio

Certainly not who I would choose.

But I can't really see a good reason for the Republicans to vote against her.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"