Finially going to buy a new video card (Pea Sea Help)

Started by Razgovory, July 14, 2009, 03:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

My 8600 worked well with a computer of a similar spec until its capacitors blew out 18 months after I got it.

Tamas

ATI cards equal driver issues, a lot of them, and actually the one time I had one, I had very few of those problems, but still more than with my nvidia cards combined (zero). Plus all my IT-head colleauges had awful experiences with ATI cards.

HVC

I've had both ATI and Nvidea. Besides cards dying from eventual old age i never had any troubles with either. Recently (saturday) my Nvidea card died so i went and bought a new one. That one was dead in the box so i went for an exchange and they gave me an option for a better ATI card at the same price so i took it.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

So far this thread has been less useful then I hoped. :Embarrass:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Quote from: HVC on July 14, 2009, 11:00:37 AM
I've had both ATI and Nvidea. Besides cards dying from eventual old age
Woah, I've never had that.
My old Voodoo something card from nearly 10 years back is still running in a non-gaming computer even.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on July 14, 2009, 01:16:46 PM

What kind of slot/interface do you have (I'm blanking on the exact name): AGP?  PCI? PCI-E? 

That's the first thing we need to know.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

Quote from: grumbler on July 14, 2009, 09:35:02 AM

I didn't find the ATI performance to be inferior at the price point, but the nnoise and heat issues for both my ATI cards were ginormous (yes, i actually bought a second ATI card even after buying one previously!  :Embarrass:)

You know the definition of insanity right? :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on July 14, 2009, 02:39:51 PM

What kind of slot/interface do you have (I'm blanking on the exact name): AGP?  PCI? PCI-E? 

PCI
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on July 14, 2009, 06:19:42 PM

PCI

PCI, not PCI Express?

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on July 14, 2009, 06:22:04 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 14, 2009, 06:19:42 PM

PCI

PCI, not PCI Express?

Oops.  Yeah it's PCI Express.

Barrister

Okay, so you should be able to buy any card on the market.  That's good.

How much do you want to spend?

Barrister

Figure out how much you want to spend, then buy the nVidia card recommended in that price range.  I echo the ATI mistrust.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-price,2323.html

Razgovory

Probably around 100 bucks. I could spend more but I doubt it would do me much good.

Monoriu

I bought a Dell computer, which came with a special discount.  The ATI card was part of the package  :blush:

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on July 14, 2009, 07:47:11 PM
Probably around 100 bucks. I could spend more but I doubt it would do me much good.

So the link I gave you said the GeForce 9600 was a good bet at $70.