Finially going to buy a new video card (Pea Sea Help)

Started by Razgovory, July 14, 2009, 03:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on July 14, 2009, 09:28:54 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 14, 2009, 07:47:11 PM
Probably around 100 bucks. I could spend more but I doubt it would do me much good.

So the link I gave you said the GeForce 9600 was a good bet at $70.

It looks pretty good.  Oddly money isn't a problem at this point but it seems silly to buy a very expensive card to put in an ageing machine.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Razgovory on July 14, 2009, 10:05:19 PM
It looks pretty good.  Oddly money isn't a problem at this point but it seems silly to buy a very expensive card to put in an ageing machine.

Raz, be sure to do at least a little of your own research to make sure you're getting something you want.  Newegg comment sections can be good for that (although you have to kinda filter things a bit), as well as the reviews on various sites, including the Toms Hardware link that BB clearly ripped off from me ( :D ). 

If the price you want to pay is around $100, see which cards are competing at that price (in this case, the HD 4760 and the 9600 GSO) and look at what a bunch of different people have to say about those cards.  Hopefully most of them won't be retarded fanboys, but for some reason, graphics cards seem to be one of the categories that spawns those.  Doesn't seem to be as bad as consoles though.  Just scroll on by the comments that are way over the top.

9600 GSO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150340
HD 4760: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161252

The two most reviewed versions of the cards on Newegg.  One thing I noticed is that particular 9600 has a minimum power supply requirement.  It's not bad at all at 400w, and you most likely are alright, but just make sure you have that or better before you buy it if that's the one you decide on (or if you look at other ones, be sure to check that).  Because that would suck if you got it and didn't meet the power requirements.

On the other hand, that particular 4760 looks like it takes up two pci slots for exhaust purposes.  It only actually uses one slot on the motherboard, but covers one immediately next to it with the fan.  If you don't have room for that, you'd need to look at one with a more normal size fan. 

Keep in mind there are more than one version of both of those, so if you don't like either one, eyeball the others.

hth :)

Josquius

Ouch.
My sister was trying to get a new graphics card lately too. My dad finally bought one the other day, seemed a excellent deal. £40 for some 1024mb nvidia.
...but it was pci-e and the motherboard only has agp and pci. As does mine (so I can't steal the upgrade). Back to the shop it goes :(
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

The amount of memory on a video card isn't crucial as long as it's not extremely low.  I have a video card with 1 Gb memory and I'm pretty sure no game makes use of all of it.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

I have a 1 GB video card, and GTA IV for PC runs as smooth as, emm, something that runs really smooth.  :yeah:

Josquius

Quote from: Caliga on July 15, 2009, 06:40:10 AM
The amount of memory on a video card isn't crucial as long as it's not extremely low.  I have a video card with 1 Gb memory and I'm pretty sure no game makes use of all of it.
Aye. But games do have minimum requirements- 256 for most modern ones IIRC.
With a higher number you at least future proof yourself a bit there (though of course the other aspects of the video card will still become outdated and make future games look crappy)

People do tend to put too much stock in the MBage though for sure. Not quite so bad as those who think with digital cameras more mega pixels=better camera though.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Let me tell you, there is a huge difference between my old 850 Radeon ATI and my new 9600 Nvidia Geforce!  I can finially play Bioshock!  Even newer games look fantastic.  Though admittedly some new features in games like motion blur kinda make my eyes hurt.  I am happy with the new card.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Cecil

If you buy an ATI card I will beat you to death. I promise the pain will be less than going through the eventual driver issues. I just wish nvidia could hurry up already with their new lineup utilizing DDR5 memories so I can upgrade.

Razgovory

I already bought the Nvidia card.  79 bucks.  Not bad.

Cecil

Quote from: Razgovory on August 08, 2009, 08:57:48 AM
I already bought the Nvidia card.  79 bucks.  Not bad.

Thats a good man although I never had much liking for the 9000 series.

DontSayBanana

You "ZOMGGETNVIDIA" guys are full of shit. I put a Powercolor Radeon X1650 Pro (512MB, not 256) in my desktop machine and haven't had a problem with it yet.
Experience bij!

Razgovory

I never had much in the way of problems with my 850.  It was just old.  And games using the Doom engine sometimes had problems with top half and bottom half of the screen not working right (fortuantly I don't think any good games ever used that engine). There was a problem with Half-life two episode 2 but I don't know if it was a card problem since it was fixed by turning off Windows firewall.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Razgovory on August 08, 2009, 10:07:15 AM
I never had much in the way of problems with my 850.  It was just old.  And games using the Doom engine sometimes had problems with top half and bottom half of the screen not working right (fortuantly I don't think any good games ever used that engine). There was a problem with Half-life two episode 2 but I don't know if it was a card problem since it was fixed by turning off Windows firewall.

Yeah, the old 850's, while they were awesome cards, only had Shader Model 2.0 instead of 3.0, which is why Bioshock works now (without that mod that makes everything look like shit).

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on August 08, 2009, 08:41:22 AM
Let me tell you, there is a huge difference between my old 850 Radeon ATI and my new 9600 Nvidia Geforce!  I can finially play Bioshock!  Even newer games look fantastic.  Though admittedly some new features in games like motion blur kinda make my eyes hurt.  I am happy with the new card.

:hug:

Glad I could help.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.