Agreement for Nabucco Pipeline signed - gas route without Russia.

Started by Syt, July 13, 2009, 11:42:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 13, 2009, 05:21:53 PM

The funny part is that one obvious country that could be a major supplier of gas through Nabucco is  . . . Iran.  Kinda puts the problems with the Russians in perspective.
If Europe had a coherent, unified, intelligent foreign policy they would be able to play the two (or eventually three, including Central Asia and the Caucasus as semi-independent players) against eachother.  Instead, they're a bunch of bickering tiny states with half of them run by Gazprom stooges. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on July 13, 2009, 08:37:14 PM

The funny part is that one obvious country that could be a major supplier of gas through Nabucco is  . . . Iran.  Kinda puts the problems with the Russians in perspective.
If Europe had a coherent, unified, intelligent foreign policy they would be able to play the two (or eventually three, including Central Asia and the Caucasus as semi-independent players) against eachother.  Instead, they're a bunch of bickering tiny states with half of them run by Gazprom stooges.
And that's why Europe will never have a common foreign policy.  Every government in Europe is utterly corrupt.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Syt

Quote from: derspiess on July 13, 2009, 11:56:08 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 13, 2009, 11:42:21 AM
Gas from Azerbaijan's Shah Deniz 2 field will be a crucial component of the project. European officials have raised hopes that other gas producers, such as Iraq and Turkmenistan, also might contribute to the pipeline.

So then Russia will probably invade Azerbaijan by 2013.

Yeah, because Russian interference with nationalist Muslims has worked so well in the past.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Queequeg on July 13, 2009, 08:37:14 PM

would only be possible if the nationsare broken, and with the british desease on the rise and now infecting even germany it's not going to happen anytime soon.

citizen k

Quote from: Syt on July 14, 2009, 12:18:36 AM
Gas from Azerbaijan's Shah Deniz 2 field will be a crucial component of the project. European officials have raised hopes that other gas producers, such as Iraq and Turkmenistan, also might contribute to the pipeline.

Yeah, because Russian interference with nationalist Muslims has worked so well in the past.
Well, Chechnya has been sufficiently cowed.

Martinus

Quote from: citizen k on July 14, 2009, 01:18:31 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 14, 2009, 12:18:36 AM

Well, Chechnya has been sufficiently cowed.
Chechnya is a former Soviet Republic. Apples and oranges.

Tamas

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on July 14, 2009, 03:20:14 AM
Quote from: Tamas on July 14, 2009, 03:16:42 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 14, 2009, 02:38:56 AM
Quote from: Tamas on July 14, 2009, 01:44:38 AM
And what Azerbajian is?

Know I not. Tell us you must.

Part of Union Soviet. It was.

Are you a Communist, son?

Nope, it's just that Marty implied that Chechnya's reconquista by the Russians could not happen with Azerbaijan because Chechens were part of the SU. Azeris were, as well, so yes, they will get stomped if this Nabucco thing ever turns out to be a realistic project.

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on July 14, 2009, 03:25:50 AM
Quote from: The Brain on July 14, 2009, 03:20:14 AM
Quote from: Tamas on July 14, 2009, 03:16:42 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 14, 2009, 02:38:56 AM
Quote from: Tamas on July 14, 2009, 01:44:38 AM
And what Azerbajian is?

Know I not. Tell us you must.

Part of Union Soviet. It was.

Are you a Communist, son?

Nope, it's just that Marty implied that Chechnya's reconquista by the Russians could not happen with Azerbaijan because Chechens were part of the SU. Azeris were, as well, so yes, they will get stomped if this Nabucco thing ever turns out to be a realistic project.

I don't need the long version, comrade.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on July 14, 2009, 01:40:05 AM

:lol:  Well almost.   Checnya was never a Soviet Republic though Azerbaijan was.  It was always part of the Russian Soviet Republic.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on July 14, 2009, 03:48:42 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 14, 2009, 01:40:05 AM

:lol:  Well almost.   Checnya was never a Soviet Republic though Azerbaijan was.  It was always part of the Russian Soviet Republic.

Marty fails with comparisons? Say it is not so!

Martinus

Sorry for some reason I thought we were talking about Armenia.

Still, I do think that Chechnya and Azerbajian are apples and oranges. Azerbajian is not a rebel republic, the independence of which Russia is not recognizing. Like Ukraine or Lithuania, it may be a former part of the SU but its international status is completely different from that of Chechnya.