Queequeg's 'Special' Threads: Roman-Persian edition

Started by Queequeg, July 12, 2009, 08:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: garbon on July 14, 2009, 11:31:21 AM
Hymen-mania, actually.
:blush:
At least "Sassadolescent" makes sense.  If you know who the Sassanids were. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

saskganesh

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 14, 2009, 10:35:46 AM
Quote from: saskganesh on July 14, 2009, 09:27:03 AM
I think the real final nail in the fall of the Byzzies was their decision to contract out their navy.

By the time they needed their navy to protect their stone walls they were already done.

One of the often over looked by significant things that ruined Justinian's chances of reforming the Empire was plague that decimated the Byzanteen population.

A good book on the subject is Justinian's Flea.  Here is a good review I found.  http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2007/may/05/featuresreviews.guardianreview9

disagree. maybe the real fall of the West but not the rest of it. the Empire was extraordinarily resilient, which is anti-Gibbon, but fits the facts better. They survived sieges of Avars, Varags, Persians and Arabs (because of the navy and the greek fire trick) and always came back, reoccupying lost territories and even going on the offense. They even had a revival after Manzikert.

now, what were the effects of the 14th C. plagues?
humans were created in their own image

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: PDH on July 14, 2009, 09:24:45 AM
Quote from: Malthus on July 14, 2009, 09:06:04 AM
Yup, my mistake.
I once aske a "trick" question about the changes gaining an empire forced on the Roman Republic, and almost all the students talked about Augustus and not the growth of Rome...I had several angry students...

sneaky :)

---------------

the reasons for the fall of the empire that have been given over the ages are as abundant as they are different. As we all know.

Valmy

Quote from: saskganesh on July 14, 2009, 11:40:01 AM

Accounts of the Black Death never go into it that much, but surely at least 1/3rd of the population died in an era where they were already desperate for manpower.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Queequeg on July 14, 2009, 11:33:11 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 14, 2009, 11:31:21 AM
Hymen-mania, actually.
:blush:
At least "Sassadolescent" makes sense.  If you know who the Sassanids were.
I like "Sassadolescent."  It's clever.  You will never live down Hymen-mania though.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on July 14, 2009, 12:04:47 PM
I once aske a "trick" question about the changes gaining an empire forced on the Roman Republic, and almost all the students talked about Augustus and not the growth of Rome...I had several angry students...

Also unfair, unless he had specified that he would use the term "republic" only for pre-Augustus periods, because, of course, Augustus claimed to be merely primus inter pares in an ongoing Roman Republic. Certainly a justification Augustus used for assuming tribunican powers was because of the changes forced on the Republic by the acquisition of an empire.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Wrong century.  My reference was the the Justinian plague that wiped out his manpower and reversed all the gains he had made.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: grumbler on July 14, 2009, 01:09:49 PM

Also unfair, unless he had specified that he would use the term "republic" only for pre-Augustus periods, because, of course, Augustus claimed to be merely primus inter pares in an ongoing Roman Republic. Certainly a justification Augustus used for assuming tribunican powers was because of the changes forced on the Republic by the acquisition of an empire.

aye, but wht he did was and 'endpoint' (at least for a while) of a series of changes brought on by the acquisition of the empire. An evolution that starts as early as the Gracchi (if not earlier). So the question is less unfair as it would seem. But much of that depends on the level of the students (i.e. how many courses they already got before the question was asked).

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on July 14, 2009, 01:09:49 PM

Not so much unfair as tricky.  Once Rome acquired other provinces it did "gain" an empire and presumably PDH was looking for an answer that discussed the way in which the Republic had to adapt to that, eg creating govenors, an exanding army to protect and expand the empire etc.

alfred russel

[/quote]

And the Holy Roman Emperors claimed to be King of the Romans -- but presumably PDH would dock a student if he focused on Napoleon to answer a question on the final collapse of the western roman empire.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on July 14, 2009, 01:54:20 PM
And the Holy Roman Emperors claimed to be King of the Romans -- but presumably PDH would dock a student if he focused on Napoleon to answer a question on the final collapse of the western roman empire.
:huh:  Uh, yeah.   Sure.  Whatever. Not sure why any student would think Napoleon was a Holy Roman Emperor, but that would surely be a mistake of a different flavor than talking about the powers assumed by Augustus being part of the "changes gaining an empire forced on the Roman Republic."

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on July 14, 2009, 02:00:56 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 14, 2009, 01:54:20 PM
:huh:  Uh, yeah.   Sure.  Whatever. Not sure why any student would think Napoleon was a Holy Roman Emperor, but that would surely be a mistake of a different flavor than talking about the powers assumed by Augustus being part of the "changes gaining an empire forced on the Roman Republic."

:lol: I never said he was a Holy Roman Emperor--clearly he was not. But he certainly played a role in the abolition of the title.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

saskganesh

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 14, 2009, 01:15:19 PM

Wrong century.  My reference was the the Justinian plague that wiped out his manpower and reversed all the gains he had made.

would have lost those bits anyway because of overreach. quite a bit remained anyway

look at the campaign areas:
Italy...well they held onto some good chunks. one emperor considered moving the capital to rich Syracuse in the 7th--8th centuries.
Spain: too removed from centers of power.
Africa: they kept it until the Muzlims. Heraclius "saved" the empire from this little powerbase.
Syria/Armenia: Back and forth borders until 11th-12th C.
humans were created in their own image

grumbler

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on July 14, 2009, 01:22:50 PM
aye, but wht he did was and 'endpoint' (at least for a while) of a series of changes brought on by the acquisition of the empire. An evolution that starts as early as the Gracchi (if not earlier). So the question is less unfair as it would seem. But much of that depends on the level of the students (i.e. how many courses they already got before the question was asked).
Agreed.  The powers assumed by Augustus were the endpoint of the changes, and therefor a legitimate part of the discussion of the changes, unless otherwise specified.

I think the more Roman history one studies, the further off one puts the true "end of the republic."  A fairly strong argument could be made that it didn't truly end until Tiberius inherited Augustus's "republican" powers.  Octavian gaining the title "Augustus" just started the final process of emasculation of the Senate - that process wasn't complete until the Senate was forced to grant such titles whether it will or nay.

Bayraktar!

Valmy

IIRC Tiberius desperately wanted the Senate to rule the Empire so he didn't have to.  The Senate was simply too afraid of doing something wrong and being executed (which was probably wise of them) to have any initiative of its own.  Claudius also had that frustration I think, the Senate simply could not or would not use the authority some of the earlier Emperors wanted them to exercise.

I am not sure when the Senate lost its will to rule but I assume it was with the defeat of the Liberators.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."