Queequeg's 'Special' Threads: Roman-Persian edition

Started by Queequeg, July 12, 2009, 08:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on July 14, 2009, 08:48:52 AM
Quotebut increasingly this force did not resemble the professional armies of the early republic

I presume you mean the early empire since the armies of the early republic were almost the platonic ideal of an amateur army.

I also want to note that even the Byzantine successor state never did really solve this problem (even after they reverted back to a fuedal type amateur army), and their eventual decision to rely on centrally controlled mercenary armies was the final nail in the Roman coffin.

Yup, my mistake.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

PDH

Quote from: Malthus on July 14, 2009, 09:06:04 AM
Yup, my mistake.
I once aske a "trick" question about the changes gaining an empire forced on the Roman Republic, and almost all the students talked about Augustus and not the growth of Rome...I had several angry students...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

saskganesh

I think the real final nail in the fall of the Byzzies was their decision to contract out their navy.

With the wooden walls, you can hold the stone walls, long enough to hire an army or arrange for allies to come in relief. without a navy, Constantinople can be attacked on 3
(4?)  sides, not one.
humans were created in their own image

PDH

The Byzantines real problem was in knowing that if they lasted any longer, even more fanbois would love them and make modern-day scenarios for them...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on July 14, 2009, 09:29:34 AM
The Byzantines real problem was in knowing that if they lasted any longer, even more fanbois would love them and make modern-day scenarios for them...

Meh the Nazis only lasted 12 years and have far more fanbois.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on July 14, 2009, 09:31:21 AM
Quote from: PDH on July 14, 2009, 09:29:34 AM

The notion of "Byzanteens" is indeed one of the stranger side effects of the Internet.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on July 14, 2009, 09:31:21 AM
And that's why Hitler killed himself.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: saskganesh on July 14, 2009, 09:27:03 AM
I think the real final nail in the fall of the Byzzies was their decision to contract out their navy.

By the time they needed their navy to protect their stone walls they were already done.

One of the often over looked by significant things that ruined Justinian's chances of reforming the Empire was plague that decimated the Byzanteen population.

A good book on the subject is Justinian's Flea.  Here is a good review I found.  http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2007/may/05/featuresreviews.guardianreview9

Valmy

QuoteOne of the often over looked by significant things that ruined Justinian's chances of reforming the Empire was plague that decimated the Byzanteen population.

No!  Not the Byzanteens!  :cry:

The Black Death also played a big role in the final collapse in the 14th century.

Also IIRC there was a major plague that hit around the time of Marcus Aurelius that decimated the Roman Empire as well.  Totally coincidentally the Empire entered its decline immediately afterwards.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

ulmont

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 14, 2009, 10:35:46 AM
One of the often over looked by significant things that ruined Justinian's chances of reforming the Empire was plague that decimated the Byzanteen population.

A good book on the subject is Justinian's Flea.  Here is a good review I found.  http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2007/may/05/featuresreviews.guardianreview9

I thoroughly enjoyed Justinian's Flea (finished it a couple of weeks ago).

garbon

I like how most of what we get about Byzanteens, here, is people going on about them...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on July 14, 2009, 11:25:54 AM
I like how most of what we get about Byzanteens, here, is people going on about them...

Their time on the EU2 paradox forums scarred them for life it seems.

Queequeg

Quote from: garbon on July 14, 2009, 11:25:54 AM
Yeah.  And I was almost always as much a Sassadolescent as a Byzanteen.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on July 14, 2009, 10:44:35 AM
No!  Not the Byzanteens!  :cry:

Unfortunately they recovered in numbers sufficient to register a presence on the internet.