The Korean Crisis - How Will It Play Out?

Started by mongers, September 03, 2017, 03:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Hating on me is not going to address your self-loathing about being a Canadian, V. 
That is something you, and only you, can solve.  :hug:

Ed Anger

How can anybody hate Seedy? He's a teddy bear.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 03, 2017, 02:33:13 PM
Yes, move to Canada and it's like Trump doesn't even exist.  :wacko:

Yeah really.  Everyone knows prevailing wind patterns would push the fallout over the border.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 03, 2017, 08:03:41 PM
How can anybody hate Seedy? He's a teddy bear.

I don't think viper gets the joke.  He's otnay ootay ightbray, you know.  His hate amuses the rest of us.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

QuoteThe Amazon Washington Post
The Fix Analysis
Almost half of Republicans want war with North Korea, a new poll says. Is it the Trump Effect?

By Aaron Blake October 15 at 8:30 AM

There was a pretty striking finding in Thursday's Quinnipiac University poll: Fully 46 percent of Republicans — a plurality — said they would support a preemptive strike against North Korea.

That's nearly half of President Trump's party that is ready for war — today — with Kim Jong Un, his nuclear weapons and all. (Forty-one percent said they opposed a preemptive strike.)

It's no surprise that Republicans are more hawkish on this than Democrats are; that's generally the case on foreign policy. But basically nobody is talking about the prospect of a strike right now. Even when Trump talks about it, he's responding to North Korea threatening the United States or its allies.

Yet it also seems possible that Trump's ramped-up rhetoric on this could be having an effect on his base. Trump in August promised "fire and fury" if North Korea ran afoul of him. Last month, he threatened in his speech at the United Nations to "totally destroy" the country — a threat that seemed to tie average North Koreans to their government's demise. He has repeatedly called Kim "Rocket Man" and generally proved fond of the kind of saber-rattling we expect from the other side of this standoff.

So does he suddenly have Republicans gearing up to wave the flag of war? Maybe.

There has been limited polling on this question over the years, but the new survey does show a marked increase from previous ones. In 2006, for example, a Fox News-Opinion Dynamics poll asked whether the United States should continue with diplomacy or use a preemptive strike "to stop North Korea from continuing to develop nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles." In that case, 20 percent of respondents overall and just 28 percent of Republicans picked the preemptive strike.

However, a Washington Post-ABC News poll conducted a couple of weeks ago also differs markedly from the new Quinnipiac survey. The late-September Post-ABC poll asked whether the United States should launch a military strike "only if North Korea attacks the U.S. or its allies first" or "before it can attack the U.S. or its allies." In that case, 23 percent overall and 30 percent of Republicans picked the preemptive-strike option, and Republicans were about two to one against it.

It's difficult to believe that Republican support for a preemptive strike suddenly rose by 16 points over the past two weeks, given that all of Trump's comments noted above came before both polls — and given that there haven't been many other developments of late. More likely, it seems, the truth lies somewhere between the two polls, with the questions' wording affecting how people responded.

But it's also true that the president is a politician who is very focused on what his base likes. He has proved he can affect its views and priorities. So perhaps it's no surprise that the GOP is at least somewhat more ready to strike North Korea today than it was back in 2006. And either way, it's still a substantial proportion of the party.

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 15, 2017, 11:23:23 AM

There has been limited polling on this question over the years, but the new survey does show a marked increase from previous ones. In 2006, for example, a Fox News-Opinion Dynamics poll asked whether the United States should continue with diplomacy or use a preemptive strike “to stop North Korea from continuing to develop nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles.” In that case, 20 percent of respondents overall and just 28 percent of Republicans picked the preemptive strike.

Of course, there's been 11 years of diplomacy failing to curtail North Korean development of nukes and missiles, so perhaps it's not unreasonable that people are thinking that maybe we shouldn't keep following the same failed course.

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on October 15, 2017, 12:47:41 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 15, 2017, 11:23:23 AM

There has been limited polling on this question over the years, but the new survey does show a marked increase from previous ones. In 2006, for example, a Fox News-Opinion Dynamics poll asked whether the United States should continue with diplomacy or use a preemptive strike "to stop North Korea from continuing to develop nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles." In that case, 20 percent of respondents overall and just 28 percent of Republicans picked the preemptive strike.

Of course, there's been 11 years of diplomacy failing to curtail North Korean development of nukes and missiles, so perhaps it's not unreasonable that people are thinking that maybe we shouldn't keep following the same failed course.

And so the reasonable alternative is...?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

11 years?  Now, now...we're really talking almost 25 years going back to Clinton's Agreed Framework and that includes two terms of a Bush's Axis of Eviltm, so let's not try to pin the rap on on the first nigger we see matching the general description, OK?  Asshole.

garbon

I'm confused. We've only been dealing with the latest leader of NK for 6 years...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 15, 2017, 02:09:43 PM

11 years?  Now, now...we're really talking almost 25 years going back to Clinton's Agreed Framework and that includes two terms of a Bush's Axis of Eviltm, so let's not try to pin the rap on on the first nigger we see matching the general description, OK?  Asshole.

11 years since the earlier poll cited in the article, and the first couple of years of that would have been under President Bush the Younger.

CountDeMoney

You ready to nuke those slopes now into the stone age star-spangled style since the nigger wouldn't do it, dps?  Is that what you're saying, since we "keep following the same failed course?"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on October 15, 2017, 03:08:40 PM
I'm confused. We've only been dealing with the latest leader of NK for 6 years...

Like father, like son.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 15, 2017, 03:57:13 PM
You ready to nuke those slopes now into the stone age star-spangled style since the nigger wouldn't do it, dps?  Is that what you're saying, since we "keep following the same failed course?"

I'd settle for a decapitation strike on the leadership.