News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

In Search of a Community in an Atomised World?

Started by mongers, September 02, 2017, 05:48:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on September 03, 2017, 10:14:38 AM
Quote from: Lettow77 on September 03, 2017, 10:10:41 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 02, 2017, 09:12:49 PM
Go on back to 4 Chan.

Fair enough. I'll not post here again.

snip

I see you're in full passive-agressive mode today this week month.

edit:
Just let me know when you change ok?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

You want me to be sad about getting rid of refuse? No, thanks.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: Jacob on September 03, 2017, 12:26:51 AM
I definitely value the community over the debate. The debate is mostly tedious, imo, but it's a significant part of what keeps the place going and thus maintains the community.

I tend to agree with both you and The Brain on this--discussion is enjoyable, but debate (at least formal debate, which some posters seem to try to turn all discussions into) is tedious, at least in the context of this forum.

mongers

Quote from: dps on September 03, 2017, 11:08:23 AM
Quote from: Jacob on September 03, 2017, 12:26:51 AM
I definitely value the community over the debate. The debate is mostly tedious, imo, but it's a significant part of what keeps the place going and thus maintains the community.

I tend to agree with both you and The Brain on this--discussion is enjoyable, but debate (at least formal debate, which some posters seem to try to turn all discussions into) is tedious, at least in the context of this forum.

Indeed.

Camerus

People quoting and counter-quoting one another's posts about minutiae nobody gives a shit about is what makes this place most tedious. Fortunately those discussions can be easily ignored.

grumbler

I tend to agree that actual intellectual disagreement here is mostly dead and/or useless.  Luckily, there are other fora that promote that, and Languish remains valuable for the discourse of a few of the posters (Minsky, Malthus, Oex, Sav), the intentional entertainment value of some others like the Brain or Seedy, and the unintentional entertainment value of... well, I think you know who they are.

So, there is community here, even though there's little communication.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tonitrus

I tend to think the commentary/perspective on news and events is interesting.  Though the actual positional debates (sometimes arising from the aforementioned) tend to be rehashing of those we've had countless times before, with the inevitable re-picking of old wounds/stirring of emotions and invective thrown in (making them uninteresting, and damaging to the community).

garbon

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 03, 2017, 02:28:30 PM
I tend to think the commentary/perspective on news and events is interesting. 

Agreed.

mongers

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 03, 2017, 02:28:30 PM
I tend to think the commentary/perspective on news and events is interesting.  Though the actual positional debates (sometimes arising from the aforementioned) tend to be rehashing of those we've had countless times before, with the inevitable re-picking of old wounds/stirring of emotions and invective thrown in (making them uninteresting, and damaging to the community).

Well said.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on September 03, 2017, 10:37:02 AM
You want me to be sad about getting rid of refuse? No, thanks.

Lettow is one of the most unique people here, writes well and is amusing, making him one of the most valued posters we got. It would be awful if he left.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Like so many of you monkeys when you finally discover pussy, Lettow has been pretty much AWOL and has only 15 posts since March. 

So let's not get all bent out of shape with our bad short-term memory.  That's like saying you'll miss Ideologue or fahdiz now.  Going is gone.