News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

In Search of a Community in an Atomised World?

Started by mongers, September 02, 2017, 05:48:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Some of us found a community here, others still think of it as an arena to duel in. 

That's my controversial thesis about Languish and it's decline, anyone care to shoot it down in flames, as is 'our' want.

What do you guys value more, a sense of shared experience vs a debating school points victory?

Thread in part a response to the bust-up in the Bangladesh flooding one.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on September 02, 2017, 05:48:16 PM
as is 'our' want.

I believe you mean wont. :nerd:

How many points for correcting grammar?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Garbon, have you been contemplating the time cube?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

It's a false choice.  Somebody who knows how to win debate points will always find a community.

Razgovory

I stay so that Berkut and Grumbler won't be able to celebrate my departure.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Lettow77

I certainly enjoy community more than debate, but I myself only really exist on Languish's periphery. The combination of an aversion to debate and a lack of community means I mostly don't stray out of threads whose subject is avowedly "safe", like threads on video games or anime.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Eddie Teach

The Brain

Community. I've never found debate to be very rewarding, I only debate when I have to. Discussion OTOH is nice.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

I definitely value the community over the debate. The debate is mostly tedious, imo, but it's a significant part of what keeps the place going and thus maintains the community.

Lettow77

It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

mongers

Quote from: Lettow77 on September 03, 2017, 10:10:41 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 02, 2017, 09:12:49 PM
Go on back to 4 Chan.

Fair enough. I'll not post here again.

Lettow, I wouldn't take anything ET posts half-seriously. 

Besides you're need here to be our front-line reporter form the impending nuclear holocaust.  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"